• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual DA10004D Review (Car Amplifier)

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not 100% sure about dual. But I know JL and Rockford Fosgate use audio precision and klippel devices quite often during their design process. When I took a tour of Rockford, every work station in Rockford had an audio precision analyzer. I hope they measure well since they have the devices to test their designs.

Also, if anyone wants to build a good power supply, just convert a computer power supply to a benchtop supply. Usually get 12v at quite a few amps.
https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

This one could give you 12v at 70amps for $140 (plus a bunch of other voltages, +5v, -12v, +3.3v)
https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...1-850w/p/N82E16817438092?Item=N82E16817438092

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! I have my original OEM Bose amp from my factory 2015 Mazda CX9 model TK21 66 A20. I think they put this amplifier in a ton of OEM bose car audio system if you want to test a popular OEM unit from a brand name company. PM me and we can meet to do a handover.

One reason you may want to consider testing OEM car audio amplifiers is to give people a baseline on their existing OEM systems from which aftermarket systems must improve on in order to be worth recommending.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3136251245...8R38BUGEz00NCSwTw77Wm8De6PTgB8vhoC28EQAvD_BwE

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think for something like this I would like to have an Amazon affiliate link I could buy it through. I mean, I might buy this thing for a car don't even own yet, I'd like to give you some of the credit.

I think we can trust you to resist the temptation of fluffing an amplifier for a few schillings.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
re " Will have to test high-end car class D amps" - I suggest the Focal

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Nice! I have my original OEM Bose amp from my factory 2015 Mazda CX9 model TK21 66 A20. I think they put this amplifier in a ton of OEM bose car audio system if you want to test a popular OEM unit from a brand name company. PM me and we can meet to do a handover.

One reason you may want to consider testing OEM car audio amplifiers is to give people a baseline on their existing OEM systems from which aftermarket systems must improve on in order to be worth recommending.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313625124519?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:18mMr6mMyR_2hEkiQ0CsOmg50&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=313625124519&targetid=1262407448140&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9033311&poi=&campaignid=12874531099&mkgroupid=123924947402&rlsatarget=pla-1262407448140&abcId=9300535&merchantid=7866994&gclid=CjwKCAjw092IBhAwEiwAxR1lRgmmZChrUlflxbtcRUVWeE8R38BUGEz00NCSwTw77Wm8De6PTgB8vhoC28EQAvD_BwE

Testing that Bose amp would be interesting. In my 2011 Mazda RX-8, I found the head unit to output a flat differential signal, and FR filtering to be done in the main amp, which sent those filtered signals to individual amps at each larger speaker.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Testing that Bose amp would be interesting. In my 2011 Mazda RX-8, I found the head unit to output a flat differential signal, and FR filtering to be done in the main amp, which sent those filtered signals to individual amps at each larger speaker.
Nice car. I have a 2004 RX8 myself and still love it. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
oN23RMX.gif
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Great battery! Could you provide a list of the parts you used to build it (including the beautiful red switch and the monitor)? Thank you Amir!
The red switch is from Blue Seas. They are the cadillac and defacto standard in marine industry due to their quality and reliability. This one is the model 6006 I think. This is the Amazon listing: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00445KFZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is rated for whopping 500 amps! I use a cool motorized one in my RV van. When the batter management system (BMS) detects a fault, it is able to shut off the entire electrical system by sending a signal to it.

Speaking of BMS, I bought this generic one on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJ96FTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51mjzvg0LaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

It is not without faults. The sense and power wires were too short for the large battery cells I was using. It would barely reach past the last cell and I have yet to figure out how to permanently install it. Despite being rated for 100 amps, it only has three holes for soldering wires that can at most handle 14 gauge wire. I used all three slots which gives an effective gauge of 9 AWG. Would have wanted to go down to 6 gauge. I kept the length short to keep the resistance low. Will have to see how well it works when I draw more current from it. Good news is that at 20+ amps and 260 watts of output, it does not heat up at all. It must have a ton of paralleled, low on resistance mosfets which at this price is remarkable.

Note that it has a different input for charging and it is limited to 10 amps. This is fine in this application but in RV use and such, I want to be able to charge at 100+ amps so would not work there. Or if you have a solar system that outputs more than 10 amps.

The battery monitoring comes from these guys: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XPT7JXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

511ozgs5AlL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I got the 300 amp version and was amazed that it would still accurately give me current usage down to milliamps! Nice that it comes with the shunt so you don't have to guess which one to get and then calibrate the unit to use it.

Besides these, I used a bunch of miscellaneous parts which I have for termination and large gauge wiring. I also use these wonderful MRBF series fuses right at the terminal for overall protection: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019ZBTV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71dypDUSfdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not cheap but they extremely high quality and reliable. Importantly, they connect right at the terminal so don't need to be mounted anywhere. I have clocked mine in the RV at over 300 amps and it does not get warm at all.

The batteries come from Voltronix: https://voltronix.com/

The manufacturer is in China of course. They look like this:

home1.jpg

The ones I have are similar to the right ones and are rated for 100 amp hour. Safe rating for discharge is 100 amps but they can be pushed. In my RV, I have three sets of them in parallel for 300 amp capability (used for the inverter).

The whole thing fit nicely in a standard battery box, leaving me some room for the extra electronics.

Note that very dangerous currents are involved here. While LifePO4 batteries are quite safe as far as thermal run away and puncture is concerned, they do store incredible amount of energy. One short and you could do serious harm to yourself and surroundings. So please don't embark on this project unless you fully know the risks and safety protocols you have to undertake.

Timbo2

The battery monitoring comes from these guys: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XPT7JXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

511ozgs5AlL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I got the 300 amp version and was amazed that it would still accurately give me current usage down to milliamps! Nice that it comes with the shunt so you don't have to guess which one to get and then calibrate the unit to use it.

I've got a meter that appears to be from the same manufacturer. In my case it has a transformer instead of shunt and it monitors my EV outlet. It's been surprisingly accurate given it cost all of $20.00.

IMG_20190527_091822.jpg

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Fascinating! What would the audible difference be between this and a stock car stereo? I have zero experience with car audio. I wonder what the chances are of getting some guitar and bass amps in the queu...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isnt this an after-market amp? That was my impression...
Oh I see. A stock car stereo may have a amplifier and may not. If it doesn't then the power output will be less and if it does it will be more. A person would probably not hear much of a difference as long as the amps being compared both have decent power output and it's quality power and not some cheap design with alternator noise. Most of the difference will be in the speakers. Speakers make or break the car audio system when using decent amplification.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I see. A stock car stereo may have a amplifier and may not. If it doesn't then the power output will be less and if it does it will be more. A person would probably not hear much of a difference as long as the amps being compared both have decent power output and it's quality power and not some cheap design with alternator noise. Most of the difference will be in the speakers. Speakers make or break the car audio system when using decent amplification.
If a stock car stereo has no amp, no sound will emerge from the speakers.

Every car stereo has an amp. Aftermarket parts are intended to be improvements, or else replacements for broken OEM.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If a stock car stereo has no amp, no sound will emerge from the speakers.

Every car stereo has an amp.
I meant a power amp and not a low power IC amp built in the head unit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Fascinating! What would the audible difference be between this and a stock car stereo?
Depends on what is in your car now. A standard car stereo has a fraction of the power of this amplifier so gets distorted fast. It is very hard to stuff this much power in that in-dash unit. Many cars though have premium stereos these days with amplification and DSP. If so, you don't want to go and try to insert this in there.

Top Bottom