• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Maslorez

I read the forum and realized that the DT 990 is not liked enough here)). The fact is that I like a more “Brighter sound”, and as I understand it, the DT 990 PRO may sound exactly it, in contrast to the HD 600. But looks like 990`s have more distorted sound. Is the difference in distortion between those two headphones is audible?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you do not play either headphone louder than 'somewhat loud' you won't hear any distortion in either headphone.
DT990's don't like to be played very loud. HD600's don't like to have the bass boosted to loud levels.
When you play impressively loud you might start to hear distortion.
Whenever you start to come near design limits distortion starts to creep in.
The biggest differences are in comfort, fit, warmth and sharpness. These differences are MUCH more noticeable than distortion.

OP
M

Maslorez

When you do not play either headphone louder than 'somewhat loud' you won't hear any distortion in either headphone.
DT990's don't like to be played very loud. HD600's don't like to have the bass boosted to loud levels.
When you play impressively loud you might start to hear distortion.
Whenever you start to come near design limits distortion starts to creep in.
The biggest differences are in comfort, fit, warmth and sharpness. These differences are MUCH more noticeable than distortion.
Thanks, I dont really know much about headphones and I looked at tests and "distortion" confused me. I heard that DT are "sharper" than HD600, but maybe to sharp, so almost no one enjoys beyerdynamic because listening might be painful for them. Does the DT 990 actually have a wider soundstage than HD600?(My questions may be stupid btw))))

Attachments

• Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Measurement 250 ohm headphone distortion relative.png
    Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Measurement 250 ohm headphone distortion relative.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 51

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's personal preference. I have a couple of black DT990s but don't like recessed mids that sound distant for vocals. The HD600 is much more flexible with a little eq to change things is easy with a moderate preamp reduction.
If you like bass and treble more than vocals, then the dt990 is fun. I just really like the HD600 with versatile, neutral tuning.

doalt

The fact is that I like a more “Brighter sound”
Can you name a few headphones you like and don't like? You need some reference to know how much "brighter" is to your liking.

Yes DT990 is often described as sharp and v-shaped, while HD600 is called balanced and neutral. But without hearing either you wouldn't know which one YOU would prefer.

If you have to decide blindly, it is a somewhat "safer" bet to go with HD600, as it more closely follows the harman target from 200Hz up. If you don't know what that is, it's a research that found "more people like this kind of tuning than not".

RitzyBusiness

I've owned a few versions of the dt770 pros, with my favorite being the 250 ohm model. And I like those significantly more than the open back 990 pro.

The 990 pro just sounds, wrong and they hate going loud.

I think the AKG K702 are significantly better than the 990s, even for gaming. It's all conjecture though, I can't directly compare them anymore. But the 702s were a lot cleaner, and for gaming footstep accuracy(dependent to game mix) was extremely accurate. For music I preferred the 770s, and while the 702 was no slouch, it lacks an impactful low end even if the 770s rattle, it's fun.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks, I dont really know much about headphones and I looked at tests and "distortion" confused me. I heard that DT are "sharper" than HD600, but maybe to sharp, so almost no one enjoys beyerdynamic because listening might be painful for them. Does the DT 990 actually have a wider soundstage than HD600?(My questions may be stupid btw))))
A little EQ for both models goes a long way.
With digital audio EQ comes for free.
When you EQ both to the same target it all comes down to price, comfort and looks up to somewhat loud levels.
When you want to go impressively loud distortion becomes an issue. This is what the plots show (how they react at high levels). Stay under those levels, so all-day listening levels where you do not get the urge to turn the volume down and when you hear a favorite song you turn the volume up.

The dip in the upper mids and treble peak can create the idea that the soundstage is wider. The treble peak gives the impression of being highly detailed.
While there is a treble peak the treble quality is very good so it does sound sharp but not coarse nor grainy. Just sharp.
The added warmth helps with bass-shy recordings.

Those that care more for 'clarity' and don't need 'Harman bass' (DT990 also is not Harman bass) and dislike sharpness will prefer the HD6*0.

So in short: when using EQ both are excellent and not too expensive headphones with a quality build quality and excellent support (parts)
When not using EQ these headphones differ so much that it is clearly audible for everyone and personal taste will be the deciding factor.

There is no right or wrong in a personal preference choice. When looking at things like 'neutrality' (meaning which headphone sounds truest to what's on the recording or mixing) the HD600 is the better bet.
The choice between DT900ProX and HD600 may be a tougher one and these are in a similar price class.

Top Bottom