• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones for Gaming/Music

dertourist48

I know there have been threads about this but I need an advice wether it is worth to change/upgrade my current setup.

Last year I bought the Beyer DT 990 Pro and the Sennheiser HD560s. Couple of month later I added the DT 900 Pro X to my gear and sold the HD560s. Actually I liked the HD 560s. So there was no certain reason why I sold them. I mainly use the DT 990 Pro for gaming and listening to some music or videos. I have rarely used the DT 900 Pro but I find them to be very tight-fitting (Clamping Listening and enjoying music is also an issue, somehow I enjoy listening music with the DT 990 Pro more than with the DT 900 Pro X ).

I do not use EQ, not very familiar with but I have seen that there are presets but need to look how to do this and which software etc.

Question is, would it make sense to make a change to look for another Headphone. I enjoy the DT 990 Pro and feel a little bit disappointed about the DT 900 Pro X. I was thinking to buy the DT 1990 Pro but not sure about now.

Maybe go back to the HD560s or even look for the HD660s and if it is worth maybe even buy the HD660s2.

Like I said, I mainly play FPS games but also like to enjoy music (Flacs, Apple Lossless Music , Music type various from classic pop to jazz, hip hop, classic etc.)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello and welcome to ASR :)

I think best thing to do for you is to sort out an EQ solution that would allow you to tune your headphones to your taste and certain use cases for you to get the best out of them. Once you sorted that out, you can make better informed decisions. If you are on PC, you can download and install Equalizer APO and Peace. Or you can check this thread for thousand other options for windows and other platforms.

If you are into FPS games, 560S would be a much better option than 660S or 660S2 with its angled driver and better localization. Also, in my opinion, DT 900 Pro X is probably the best sounding headphone in the DT line-up, so I personally would not go to 1990 but your milage might be different.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Try Audeze Maxwell.
Really amazing considering price wireless ability and overall SQ.

ps. having owned Stealth/Expanse among any other "hi-end" headphones in the past. I seriously considering selling all my "headphone stuff" (including dac and amp) and going just solo Audeze Maxwell - yes I like them that much

OP
D

dertourist48

I do not think I will buy wireless headsets again, for gaming. Bought once and sold it after experiencing disturbing noises. Maybe the headset was just faulty. I found the 660s used for 200 Euro on eBay but would prefer new one instead of . Found out today that Amazon.fr sells the 660s2 for 469 Euro. Think it is a good price since price for them in Germany is about 600 Euros. Maybe I just give them a try.

Leiker535

I enjoy the DT 990 Pro and feel a little bit disappointed about the DT 900 Pro X. I was thinking to buy the DT 1990 Pro but not sure about now.
What do you like about the DT 990 Pro? They are very V shaped and bright headphones. The 1990 Pro doesn't have the same amount of bass but is bright as well. The 660s you're looking for is much tamer than those headphones as whole, and similar to the 560s.

For gaming I prioritize good imaging for competitive and soundstage and bass for immersion. The 660s might fit the descriptor in imaging, but it's a bit light in bass and doesn't have impressive soundstage (as with all headphones except anomalies, but specially so considering the 6x0 family). For a more all-rounder experience, I'd advise you to get a Hifiman + an 100 EUR amp. Something like the Hifiman Sundara, Edition XS or the Ananda (this one you don't need an amp for).

OP
D

dertourist48

I am not an audiophile person. I can only say that the DT 990 Pro sound better to my ears. Something was missing with the DT 900 and slightly disturbing why I often not prefer them to wear during gaming sessions. Maybe I should give them more time to get used to.
By the way I ran both with the FiiO K7 BT.
Just looked for the Hifiman Edition XS , they are quite heavy in comparison to the Beyers and Sennheiser. So for longer game sessions this could be an issue.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looked for the Hifiman Edition XS , they are quite heavy in comparison to the Beyers and Sennheiser. So for longer game sessions this could be an issue.
Despite spec sheet weight, Edition XS is very comfortable. I can wear it for hours no problem.

b7676

These are the next step after 990. Easy to find used.

The 1990 has too deep treble cuts, and not having them is why the 990 is the better tool practically in a class all its own. The sennheiser without a treble veil or crash is the 800.

Last edited:
Top Bottom