• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSP Info

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

BKr0n

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I'm starting to agree with @Snarfie about the DSP review thing. Poor Amir wouldn't be able to keep up lol
Did ask @amirm some years ago to test for instance Mathaudio room EQ. He would look in to it if he could find the time if i'm correct.

OP
B

BKr0n

Did ask @amirm some years ago to test for instance Mathaudio room EQ. He would look in to it if he could find the time if i'm correct.
I kinda don't think that's a reasonable expectation given the breadth DSP covers. There's so many solutions to so many problems and I can't even imagine a good place to start with that. To add onto things, there's hardware, software, even discrete solutions (yes I have seen where someone took the time to make a R2R dac). It's far more than just a DAC or an ADC.

OP
B

BKr0n

One idea maybe would to be to go over the chip solutions that go into those pieces of hardware. Those, while numerous, are far more calculable than DSPs. A lot of the boards usually use a lot of the same parts just in different combinations.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I kinda don't think that's a reasonable expectation given the breadth DSP covers. There's so many solutions to so many problems and I can't even imagine a good place to start with that. To add onto things, there's hardware, software, even discrete solutions (yes I have seen where someone took the time to make a R2R dac). It's far more than just a DAC or an ADC.
Agreed it is a challenge an on top quite subjective to determine quality because subjective use of (personal) target curves. . Reason i choose for Mathaudio room EQ is because of it simplicity (REW APO in one solution) and it is incombination with foobar2000 for Free. I also make use of the paid systemwide solution for eliminating (damaging) gain differences. An DSP app for tech dummies like me. :facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
B

BKr0n

Agreed it is a challenge an on top quite subjective to determine quality. Reason i choose for Mathaudio room EQ is because of it simplicity (REW APO in one solution) and it is incombination with foobar2000 for Free. I also make use of the paid systemwide solution for eliminating (damaging) gain differences. An DSP app for tech dummies like me. :facepalm:
Try building one. Way less fun :p The payoff is probably going to be great but right now it's kinda crap.

OP
B

BKr0n

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now if I could find something to distribute i2s channels then I would be in good shape.
To what end? And remember, no measurements, so this could very well measure terribly.

OP
B

BKr0n

To what end? And remember, no measurements, so this could very well measure terribly.
Yeah I kind of just realized I just ran in the same circle I did before lol

Conclusion: Just get a DAC from topping and do the speaker in analog. I'm probably going render the interior pretty much inert so whatever I set my crossover to should stay. From there it's just tweaking it. That should be simple enough if I breadboard everything first. I also just found some old project speakers from a while ago so now I can even build a test rig :cool:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not just get a Hypex Fusion amp?

OP
B

BKr0n

Why not just get a Hypex Fusion amp?
Here is the loop: Sure, but the amp portion is meh. I could do better. Wait why is the chip in the dsp meh? Maybe I can find a decent codec board. *spends a few hours exploring aliexpress and the internet at large for a dev board*. Hmm well if I'm gonna get the adc in I guess I need to find something real time ish. Wait a sec... I've been here before. Loop complete. I am dumb o_O lol

All kidding aside after comparing everything, I'm fairly certain the dev board for Sharc from analog may be a winner. Either that or a dev board for a decent codec.

OP
B

BKr0n

You’ll be very hard pressed to get a TPA3255 implementation with better performance.
Oh absolutely. I could just get the hypex dsp. I just have a very hard time believing that this is such an original problem that no high end brand hasn't tackled it and then some off brand has copied. Only way to get around that is to just make the damn board and that's a whole different can of worms.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At first You should focus on the speaker: what driver, what enclosure (width? higth?), what damping ...., and what about directivity.
That's the physics, and is not done on an evening of Webcrawling. Interpretating data of drivers is science of it's own.
Talking about X-over, the passive design is obsolete (except there's need of use of higher resistance in woofer's coil to extend bass FR or of one special amp to drive the speaker), and active x-over today is called DSP.
If You want to go passive, I may send You a ton of coils, caps and resistors for exploration.
Hated this way I had to go 30 years ago when first DSP came up but unavailable, but today going for hypex plates simplyfies a lot - would not want to miss it.

I may be wrong, but based on Your posts there's wide lack of expertise on constructing loudspeakers.
That is no wrong, but maybe some basic information may help at first, so have a look at something like this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...active-speaker-with-software-crossover.48035/

OP
B

BKr0n

At first You should focus on the speaker: what driver, what enclosure (width? higth?), what damping ...., and what about directivity.
Drivers are 2 PTT6.5X04-NAA-08 with corresponding PRs and a KEF SP1632. Still deciding on material for the enclosure, but from the TSPs on purifi's site, that driver with 2 PRs needs 11 liters of space. As such I merely doubled it. The enclosure is looking so far to be 8" wide 21" tall and 8" deep which gets me roughly to the 22 liters I need. Still deciding on materials for the insulation, but I do know that I will more than likely put in two shelf braces as well as corner bracing according to the same style as the Loudspeaker Cookbook. I will also be looking into the possbility of adding something into the gaps of the shelf braces in order to break up the turbulance as the air travels toward the center of the main cavity.
Talking about X-over, the passive design is obsolete (except there's need of use of higher resistance in woofer's coil to extend bass FR or of one special amp to drive the speaker), and active x-over today is called DSP.
Can't argue with you there. Tech has evolved to the point it amazes me more processing isn't more involved than it already is. Keep in mind though that digital will never top the response of good ole analog. You also have to worry about things like timings, audible artifacts, and even distances between the electronics which can add onto delay that's already there.
I may be wrong, but based on Your posts there's wide lack of expertise on constructing loudspeakers.
My guy, I just picked up the hobby 6 months ago lol (the speaker building part not the audio part. I've been into audio since high school). I'm not going to know everything right off the bat.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My guy, I just picked up the hobby 6 months ago lol (the speaker building part not the audio part. I've been into audio since high school). I'm not going to know everything right off the bat.
First of Your attempt was to replicate KEF, now it's downsized to bookshelf .... what's next?
Go on and dig the rabbit hole of speaker building .... and, btw, I'm not (as far as now) your guy.

OP
B

BKr0n

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do as far as I know. They even have a whole SINAD chart from best to worst. @kemmler3D gave me the idea to start this thread to get some good info out about application more than just simple products. Example: if I do go the modular approach, I need two things in particular to make everything work as intended:
1) Some sort of reclocker. Something that will help reduce lag time between boards and keep timings tight.
2) The microcontroller to conduct this whole symphony. RPi is definitely an option here. It has plenty of I/O and documentation for days on how to use it.
I also need to figure out where I'm going to put everything. More than likely the inside of the enclosure will be insulated. Electronics do not like heat.
I meant more applications like Dirac, Mathaudio room EQ, Lyngdorf and others.

OP
B

BKr0n

I meant more applications like Dirac, Mathaudio room EQ, Lyngdorf and others.
Again, as various as the stars. Those are only the ones that are widely commercially available. But hey, never hurts to ask.

Top Bottom