• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Kevbaz

I’ve ordered a set of Dan Clark aeon Closed X today, they should ship in around a week according to Drop. Hopefully they won’t take too long to arrive to UK.
If I prefer Aeon to my Grado’s and a sennheiser HD660s I will keep them and let my son have the HD660s.
Hopefully the aeon Closed X work work well with my Atom Amp+ Feedback I’ve had has been the Atom DAC+ and Amp+ will be able to drive them cleanly.
Cheers
Kevin

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve ordered a set of Dan Clark aeon Closed X today, they should ship in around a week according to Drop. Hopefully they won’t take too long to arrive to UK.
If I prefer Aeon to my Grado’s and a sennheiser HD660s I will keep them and let my son have the HD660s.
Hopefully the aeon Closed X work work well with my Atom Amp+ Feedback I’ve had has been the Atom DAC+ and Amp+ will be able to drive them cleanly.
Cheers
Kevin
Let us know what you think to them, and if you like try the two EQ's I did using Resolve's measurements of the 2 units he measured:
(You could let us know the one you prefer most, the "Average of the two Samples EQ" or the "Sample #2 EQ", it my be a loose indication of whether most headphones out there are closer to Sample#2 or Sample#1)

Kevbaz

Let us know what you think to them, and if you like try the two EQ's I did using Resolve's measurements of the 2 units he measured:
(You could let us know the one you prefer most, the "Average of the two Samples EQ" or the "Sample #2 EQ", it my be a loose indication of whether most headphones out there are closer to Sample#2 or Sample#1)
My current setup is using a CD player to feed the Atom DAC+ when the Aeon arrive I will see if I can install some EQ software on my MacBook to try the above.
Cheers
Kev

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
did he made such measurements for the open model?
I don't know, got vague recollections of Resolve saying something about a review of the Open X, but I don't really visit his website - check out his website to see if you can find them.

Just ordered a pair of these while they were still on sale from Drop, alongside a Topping L30 to drive them. Everything should be here on Monday; I'll be sure to try the different EQ profiles and post any thoughts/impressions.

These will essentially replace a pair or Grado sr-125e's that I purchased from my local hifi shop in the before-time, prior to my discovery of ASR. While they've been "fine" post EQ (a major revelation thanks to the forums here) I'm mostly making this move to have a closed-back set of cans that I can use at work. Super excited for it all to come in!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(@TheHighContemplator & @aandres_gm , Oratory got back to me today, he's sending my headphones back this week, he's been totally snowed under & showed me this pic of his inbox after already replying to a dozen messages: Thought I should let you know as we were talking about it a couple of days ago....)

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You suggested hd560s when I was asking about hd660s in the deals thread. Would this drop aeon closed x a good alternative for me (I have the k371) if I don't plan to eq? I see that drop is selling for $379 now.
Thanks!

Last edited:

batfunk

You suggested hd560s when I was asking about hd660s in the deals thread. Would this drop aeon closed x a good alternative for me (I have the k371) if I don't 0lan to eq? I see that drop is selling for $379 now.
Thanks!
Closed X is totally delightful, even without EQ. They are my first planar headphones, i came from dynamic Grado Rs2.
Closed X tonality is just right, sound is the cleanest and smoothest i ever heard. Liquid sound, really !
You have 4 tuning filters for Eq , i don't even use them.You just need a good headphone amp, with lot of juice.

379 dollars for such quality sound, built and finish is a total steal !

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Closed X is totally delightful, even without EQ. They are my first planar headphones, i came from dynamic Grado Rs2.
Closed X tonality is just right, sound is the cleanest and smoothest i ever heard. Liquid sound, really !
You have 4 tuning filters for Eq , i don't even use them.You just need a good headphone amp, with lot of juice.

379 dollars for such quality sound, built and finish is a total steal !
Yes, very tempting with the current price. Thanks for the feedback!

Kevbaz

Just payed customs duty/vat on mine today in UK, so hopefully will be with me early next week.
I’m using Sennheiser HD660s and Grado SR325e so will be interesting to see how these compare.
Kev

Kevbaz

Still waiting on mine, I’m really hopeful they sound good. Im looking for the detail, forwardness of Grado but with bass and sound isolation without loosing too much openness. I get impression these should get me close to that without EQ.
I can then play with EQ to close the gap.
Kev

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To make the DCA sound as forward as the Grado you will have to apply quite some EQ.
The DCA is anything but forward, it is 'laid-back'.
Responds well to EQ.

Kevbaz

I have an RME ADI DAC now, so once I figure out the PEQ on it I can give it a go with the DCAs when they arrive (hopefully tomorrow)
Kev

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just payed customs duty/vat on mine today in UK, so hopefully will be with me early next week.
I’m using Sennheiser HD660s and Grado SR325e so will be interesting to see how these compare.
Kev
I also have the DC Aeon closed RT from Drop. Very good headphone in my opinion. It does not necessarily need EQ, but depending on taste, it can be improved with EQ. But it is not at all like any headphone from Grado that I have heard. Grado is in my opinion a very special kind of animal, and I honestly do not understand why anyone would want a DC Aeon closed RT instead of a Grado, if it is the Grado sound you are striving for.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You suggested hd560s when I was asking about hd660s in the deals thread. Would this drop aeon closed x a good alternative for me (I have the k371) if I don't plan to eq? I see that drop is selling for $379 now.
Thanks!
Hi, I can't recommend the Closed X as strongly as I do the HD560s as I haven't listened to the Closed X with EQ (nor without), but there's nothing really in the Closed X frequency response that looks like it can't be effectively EQ'd - that is if you look at Sample #2 that was measured by Resolve, but Sample #1 had quite some awful peaking between 10-14kHz....but indications so far suggest that Sample #2 is likely to be closer to the truth of what is intended with this headphone. The HD560s is an open backed headphone & the Closed X is a closed back headphone - so they're quite different so that would effect your use case - closed back for greater sound isolation from external sounds as well as you not annoying the people you live with, etc....the choices are there.....but often open backed can have a better soundstage than a closed back, but it's not a done deal, my closed back NAD HP50 has a better soundstage than my openbacked HD600 for instance, but in general open backed have better soundstage. It'll have to be your choice which headphone you go for, I wouldn't steer you away from the Closed X, and I'd expect it to be pretty good given DCA's pedigree and what I see so far of the frequency response (of the good unit). If you're not using EQ then the HD560s would probably sound more accurate than the Closed X, but if you're using EQ then that doesn't matter so much....your choice.

Kevbaz

I also have the DC Aeon closed RT from Drop. Very good headphone in my opinion. It does not necessarily need EQ, but depending on taste, it can be improved with EQ. But it is not at all like any headphone from Grado that I have heard. Grado is in my opinion a very special kind of animal, and I honestly do not understand why anyone would want a DC Aeon closed RT instead of a Grado, if it is the Grado sound you are striving for.
Hi Mulder, I think the challenge is im not 100% sure what I’m looking for.
Most of my experience over last 20+ years has been on Grado and I’m now accustom to that sound.

About 6-8 months ago I got some Sennheiser HD660s which I like, but feel they sound muffled/less accurate compared to the Grado.

So I guess I’m just trying different brands until I get the headphone that makes me smile :) so far the Grado is closest but there mane others. Will prefer.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi, I can't recommend the Closed X as strongly as I do the HD560s as I haven't listened to the Closed X with EQ (nor without), but there's nothing really in the Closed X frequency response that looks like it can't be effectively EQ'd - that is if you look at Sample #2 that was measured by Resolve, but Sample #1 had quite some awful peaking between 10-14kHz....but indications so far suggest that Sample #2 is likely to be closer to the truth of what is intended with this headphone. The HD560s is an open backed headphone & the Closed X is a closed back headphone - so they're quite different so that would effect your use case - closed back for greater sound isolation from external sounds as well as you not annoying the people you live with, etc....the choices are there.....but often open backed can have a better soundstage than a closed back, but it's not a done deal, my closed back NAD HP50 has a better soundstage than my openbacked HD600 for instance, but in general open backed have better soundstage. It'll have to be your choice which headphone you go for, I wouldn't steer you away from the Closed X, and I'd expect it to be pretty good given DCA's pedigree and what I see so far of the frequency response (of the good unit). If you're not using EQ then the HD560s would probably sound more accurate than the Closed X, but if you're using EQ then that doesn't matter so much....your choice.
Thanks! Since I already have one closed back and I do want better sound stage, I think it is logical to look for open back options this time.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom