• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't remember you linked or not. But I did read the thread. The channels matching issue is a bit of concerns.....

Thanks!
Yes & No / Maybe, but let's not discuss it here. (it's already been discussed there to be honest as well)

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Mulder, I think the challenge is im not 100% sure what I’m looking for.
Most of my experience over last 20+ years has been on Grado and I’m now accustom to that sound.

About 6-8 months ago I got some Sennheiser HD660s which I like, but feel they sound muffled/less accurate compared to the Grado.

So I guess I’m just trying different brands until I get the headphone that makes me smile :) so far the Grado is closest but there mane others. Will prefer.
I have heard HD600, 650 but not 660, but 660 seems to be rather similar. I have HD600 and I think it is rather different compared to DCA Closed RT. I think DCA has a powerful and punchy bass compared to the Sennheiser, and the treble is more laid back. I would not call it muffled however. HD600 and DCA are more similar to each other I think, when compared to any Grado I know about, and as i remember Grado 325 it is one of Grados most treble happiest headphones. As a matter of fact, I don’t think Grado is about accuracy at all, but a headphone vhith a very special coloration, which most people seems to either dislike very strongly or almost adore as the one and only headphone to like. Nothing wrong with that, but as far as accuracy is concerned, DCA is in my opinion a much better headphone. I don’t think I have ever heard a headphone with such a firm, deep and clearcut bass. (But, there is for sure many headphones I have not heard)

Last edited:

Leitmotif7

Is Sonata HD Pro (in high gain) good enough for these? If not, any alternatives that are recommended? Qudelix 5K?

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Leitmotif7

I use a Topping L30 and I have a black noise floor with more power than I need. I don't have experience with either of the other products mentioned, but if you check out the review ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-l30-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/ ), it has the skills to pay the bills and all for under $150 USD.
Thanks, I actually have an L30 for desktop. I was talking about more a USB DAC/Amp, for on the go/traveling listening, on phone or laptop.

Firefly00

I have heard HD600, 650 but not 660, but 660 seems to be rather similar. I have HD600 and I think it is rather different compared to DCA Closed RT. I think DCA has a powerful and punchy bass compared to the Sennheiser, and the treble is more laid back. I would not call it muffled however. HD600 and DCA are more similar to each other I think, when compared to any Grado I know about, and as i remember Grado 325 it is one of Grados most treble happiest headphones. As a matter of fact, I don’t think Grado is about accuracy at all, but a headphone vhith a very special coloration, which most people seems to either dislike very strongly or almost adore as the one and only headphone to like. Nothing wrong with that, but as far as accuracy is concerned, DCA is in my opinion a much better headphone. I don’t think I have ever heard a headphone with such a firm, deep and clearcut bass. (But, there is for sure many headphones I have not heard)
Coming from my long time headphones, the SR80, I really love the natural low end on the Aeons. They don’t sacrifice soundstage from the SR80 either.

Build quality is much better, although I never had an issue with the Grados in the 15-ish years I’ve owned them.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll try to remember to try mine with the Sonata HD Pro tonight.

I just tried it for 5 minutes with my Samsung S21+. Fooled it into high gain. It worked very well. I think if you're going to boost the bass with EQ, you would want more power for some songs. And you might find it a little low for a classical piece that is mastered particularly low. But it was fine for general listening for me.

I'll be flying to California next week to see my brother for thanksgiving, and I think I'll take these with me with the Sonata HD Pro for watching movies on my tablet.

On the other hand, if you don't have the Sonata HD Pro to try it out with and see what you think, I would probably go for the HIDISZ S9 Pro as a dongle solution and get a balanced cable.

Leitmotif7

I just tried it for 5 minutes with my Samsung S21+. Fooled it into high gain. It worked very well. I think if you're going to boost the bass with EQ, you would want more power for some songs. And you might find it a little low for a classical piece that is mastered particularly low. But it was fine for general listening for me.

I'll be flying to California next week to see my brother for thanksgiving, and I think I'll take these with me with the Sonata HD Pro for watching movies on my tablet.

On the other hand, if you don't have the Sonata HD Pro to try it out with and see what you think, I would probably go for the HIDISZ S9 Pro as a dongle solution and get a balanced cable.
Thank you so much!

The headphones are on the way already. Guess I'll pick up S9 and a balanced cable if there's some oomph missing.

Kevbaz

My Dan Clark AEON closed X arrived today, only been listening a few hours, but so far I really like them. Great detail, nice top end/treble and lovely bass. I’m trying them without any filters fitted at moment.
Kev

Firefly00

My Dan Clark AEON closed X arrived today, only been listening a few hours, but so far I really like them. Great detail, nice top end/treble and lovely bass. I’m trying them without any filters fitted at moment.
Kev
I don’t use any of the filters myself. Treble can get a tiny bit sharp sometimes, but not really an issue.

Kevbaz

I don’t use any of the filters myself. Treble can get a tiny bit sharp sometimes, but not really an issue.
I’ve been using my Grado SR325e this week so the top end on the DC Drop X closed is really nice.
Listening to some Phil Collins on them now, already had my wife and eldest son try them.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kev
Nice, congratulations! Try out those EQ's when you get a chance & let us know which one you think is the best.

EDIT: ensure no filters are installed because the measurement was taken without filters.

Kevbaz

Nice, congratulations! Try out those EQ's when you get a chance & let us know which one you think is the best.
I plan to have a go at weekend, had a quick play with the EQ on the ADI-2 yesterday and hopefully ive got my head around it :)
Kev

ericlhyman

I'm looking for suggestions and sources for the cabling and connectors needed to use the Drop Aeon Closed X as a balanced headphone with the Astell and Kern SR25 mark 2 digital audio player.

ririt

I'm looking for suggestions and sources for the cabling and connectors needed to use the Drop Aeon Closed X as a balanced headphone with the Astell and Kern SR25 mark 2 digital audio player.
You should consider Hart Audio for cables and connectors

ericlhyman

How well will these headphones drive an Astell and Kern SR25 mark 2? How well will they drive an IPAD Pro?

Firefly00

How well will these headphones drive an Astell and Kern SR25 mark 2? How well will they drive an IPAD Pro?
These absolutely soak up current. I’ve tried it on an iPad Pro and it gave me the “compressed sound” that many reviewers bash the Aeons for (no abx). I’ve also heard claims the A&K players do not provide much current so I’m not sure I could recommend it.

batfunk

Great news! Another happy user of Robbo's awesome Sample 2 EQ.

You can experiment with the low shelf filter I use, which is 250hz/0.5Q/+1.5db. I find with this in place, I don't need a shelf on the highs. The only adjustment I made to the upper frequencies of Robbo's EQ is to cut the 7020hz/2.0Q/+6.10db filter to +3.5db. Something to try, at least.

hi! i integrated your 7020 hz modification with success:)But Sound was still lacking slam so i started from scratch by using Graph EQ and compared with Robbo curve.i noticed that bass was decreasing under 20 hz with some bumps before.So i remove all peak filters under 200 hz and make low shelf filter begins at 160 hz(average male voice frequency is 125 hz and female 200 hz).

it works (for me)!.Tight bass,sub bass slam and Norah Jones voice is just perfect ,a little more textured and raspier.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom