• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hi! i integrated your 7020 hz modification with success:)But Sound was still lacking slam so i started from scratch by using Graph EQ and compared with Robbo curve.i noticed that bass was decreasing under 20 hz with some bumps before.So i remove all peak filters under 200 hz and make low shelf filter begins at 160 hz(average male voice frequency is 125 hz and female 200 hz).

it works (for me)!.Tight bass,sub bass slam and Norah Jones voice is just perfect ,a little more textured and raspier.:)
For tweaking the bass level, you could have just used the 105Hz Low Shelf Filter that is included in my EQ (whilst leaving the peak filters untouched):

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

hi! i integrated your 7020 hz modification with success:)But Sound was still lacking slam so i started from scratch by using Graph EQ and compared with Robbo curve.i noticed that bass was decreasing under 20 hz with some bumps before.So i remove all peak filters under 200 hz and make low shelf filter begins at 160 hz(average male voice frequency is 125 hz and female 200 hz).

it works (for me)!.Tight bass,sub bass slam and Norah Jones voice is just perfect ,a little more textured and raspier.:)
Nice! I'll try yours. How much boost are you applying? I changed my low shelf again, hahaha! Now it's 125hz/Q0.25/+3db.

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

For tweaking the bass level, you could have just used the 105Hz Low Shelf Filter that is included in my EQ (whilst leaving the peak filters untouched):
There is a little sharpness around 7khz that I felt needed taming even with bass boost. The reason I tweak the low shelf is so I can find the point where the bass boost is maximised while the mids sound neutral.

batfunk

Nice! I'll try yours. How much boost are you applying? I changed my low shelf again, hahaha! Now it's 125hz/Q0.25/+3db.
+3 for Low shelf ,-3 for high shelf (specially with 80's production) for me, more than +3 bass boost overshadowed the rest of frequency range.
As I said, Robbo EQ is the best base(no need to touch high shelf) , well balanced, soudstage width is excellent, all instruments are well détached but,for me, it lacks slam, even with a +3 boost at 105hz.. But I'm a funkateer, so... ;)

Last edited:
OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

+3 for Low shelf ,-3 for high shelf (specially with 80's production) for me, more than +3 bass boost overshadowed the rest of frequency range.
As I said, Robbo EQ is the best base(no need to touch high shelf) , well balanced, soudstage width is excellent, all instruments are well détached but,for me, it lacks slam, even with a +3 boost at 105hz.. But I'm a funkateer, so... ;)
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Yeah I noticed earlier in the thread someone mentioned the $379 sale. Woops. I assumed that was the normal price so I am glad I got them when I did.

I am not as scientific or well-versed as many of you, but these are the best headphones I've ever heard. My daily driver was previously the HD6xx, but I now understand the "veil" people refer to, the level of detail in the Aeons is far better. I have always wished I could have headphones with as much detail as my IEMs, and I have that now, I actually think I can hear a bit more in the Aeons than my Fiio FH5s which I love. I am running these through a Fiio K5 Pro DAC/Amp, and have also used my Fiio BTR5 bluetooth receiver (which DC recommends over in the RT review thread), and was surprised that it seems to do it justice even with single-ended output (volume maxed, gain on high).

Mine came with the sliders on the headband loose, so it wouldn't stay in place on my head, but a quick tightening with a philips head screwdriver and they are good to go. I actually like this because if you want to "lock in" your adjustments you can just tighten it more so it is difficult to slide. They are super comfortable, no complaints here at all.

I am running EQ, I use Sonarworks and since they have the Aeon Flow in their database but not the RT or obviously this, I tweaked it to match Amir's EQ for the RT. I am however operating under the assumption these are the same as the RT due to @Dan Clark's comment that they are "very similar," over in the RT review thread. If they are different I imagine its less than I will hear in every day use.

Without EQ they sound more U/V-shaped to my ears, the soundstage seems enhanced, but I don't get enough of the mids. This is all very subjective and I have a small foundation of experience, so take this with a large grain of salt. Anyway, running them with the same EQ as recommended for the RT sounds "right" to me, and using my usual bass shelf makes bass too much.

I wanted closed headphones that sounded good and I got my wish, they are even better than my open headphones. Super happy with these, and going to keep a close eye on DCA in the future.
I also have both the HD6xx and the Aeon X closed. Give Oratory's EQ settings for the HD6XX a try. I think I used the HD650 settings. I think that they sound really good with that EQ. I agree that it's a different sound than the Aeon X closed. Both sound really good to me.

Hewbacca

I also have both the HD6xx and the Aeon X closed. Give Oratory's EQ settings for the HD6XX a try. I think I used the HD650 settings. I think that they sound really good with that EQ. I agree that it's a different sound than the Aeon X closed. Both sound really good to me.
I do EQ my 6xx, just can’t get the detail out of them that the DCA have.

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

I've been doing some listening and tweaking for the last week and I was wondering if anyone could try my changes to Robbo's Sample 2 EQ profile and share any feedback.

Here are the changes I've made:

Remove or turn off the 7020hz filter altogether. It seems like this dip is either part of the design or a measurement anomaly. When you boost this area, certain songs are very difficult to listen to because there's a really piercing quality to sibilance and certain sounds in this region.

I also use a 125hz low shelf filter with a Q of 0.25 and a boost of 3db. This adds a little warmth and punch without altering the quality of the mids.

The last change is a high shelf filter at 8khz with a Q of 2.00 and boost to taste. I use +1db to add a bit of "air" to the sound.

If anyone can try these changes out and share what you find, good or bad, that would be helpful to me. Maybe my ears are off, but these settings seem to sound very balanced to me. I waited three days to see if the settings would stand and I haven't felt the need to tinker in that time, something that has not happened since I got these cans.

I've had about a week with my pair and figured I'd do a quick write up on my experience and thoughts:

1) Equipment/Method:
  • Amp = Topping L30 w/ volume matching by ear to the best of my ability
  • Source/DAC = PC (I'll get the E30 eventually; I doubt it will do much other than look nice sitting on top of the L30)
  • Player = Amazon Music (most tracks play in HD or Ultra HD"
  • Equalization Software = Equalizer APO
  • Test Tracks = Attached (I used songs I'm highly familiar with; I've done a lot more listening but wanted a short, standardized list for critical comparison purposes)
2) General comments
  • Before even getting to music, these headphones do exactly what I need them to do: be more comfortable and more sound isolate than the Grado SR125e's that I had been using. I can wear them for extended periods of time and just kind of forget they're on my head, and I use them at work and except during extremely quiet bits of music they block out the environment of the open office I'm in. I don't think it's controversial to say that base Grado pads are uncomfortable but we'll see if that holds up to inspection...
3) No EQ
  • I think these sound pretty great out of the box. I wear glasses and was a little worried about the bass extension with no EQ but honestly it's not anemic or anything. Very listenable to, although when directly compared to the other EQ profiles there's definitely something missing in the treble somewhere.
4) @Robbo99999 EQ #2 and EQ1+2 Avg
  • Noticeable improvement over no EQ, I can hear it especially in about the last minute of Posing in Bondage. I'm pretty new to headphones and critical listening with them so I can't speak to "spatial effects" too much but I can say definitely I prefer EQ#2 to no EQ at all
  • I set the 105 Hz shelf to +3 db and don't crave for any low end. I didn't add anything to the 11000 shelf and in fact took the 7020 peak filter down about 1.5 db to counterbalance a little shrill in some vocals I was hearing. Minor changes only.
  • I also don't think I could tell a difference between EQ#2 and the averaged set. I can say definitively that I prefer one or the other over no EQ but I would not bet any money on myself being able to pick out one EQ profile from the other in a blind ABX test. For the most part I have been using EQ#2 profile with my changes but that's probably because I had fun toying around with it some and so I prefer it more because it makes me feel like I "personalized" it and that feels nice.
5) @TheHighContemplator edits proposed to EQ#2
  • Currently testing this as I'm typing. I think I need some the boost at that 7020 Hz filter but it could also be that I'm just "missing" it right now and it's presenting as an audible difference but not necessarily a difference in preference.
  • In any case I've left the 8,000 Hz shelf at +1.0 db and added the 7020 Hz peak back in but only given it a +3.0 db boost. I'm kind of digging it right now but that's far from conclusive and again could just be confirmation bias as now I feel a little ownership of it.
6) Conclusion
  • I would recommend the Drop x DCA Aeon Closed X to anyone looking for a comfortable and very competent headphone right out of the box, especially if you can get it at the current sale price (although I believe they are now delayed out until March).
  • I would recommend starting with the EQ#2 profile set and making tweaks to preference from there. My personal experience is that it needs a little bit more bass and a little bit of reduction somewhere in the 7-10 kHz range but it doesn't get easier in terms of having a great EQ template already defined.
Thanks to everyone in the forum for all of the input. Really happy I pulled the trigger on these, which I would not have done without the ASR community.

Attachments

• EQList.PNG
    EQList.PNG
    989.8 KB · Views: 113

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had about a week with my pair and figured I'd do a quick write up on my experience and thoughts:

1) Equipment/Method:
  • Amp = Topping L30 w/ volume matching by ear to the best of my ability
  • Source/DAC = PC (I'll get the E30 eventually; I doubt it will do much other than look nice sitting on top of the L30)
  • Player = Amazon Music (most tracks play in HD or Ultra HD"
  • Equalization Software = Equalizer APO
  • Test Tracks = Attached (I used songs I'm highly familiar with; I've done a lot more listening but wanted a short, standardized list for critical comparison purposes)
2) General comments
  • Before even getting to music, these headphones do exactly what I need them to do: be more comfortable and more sound isolate than the Grado SR125e's that I had been using. I can wear them for extended periods of time and just kind of forget they're on my head, and I use them at work and except during extremely quiet bits of music they block out the environment of the open office I'm in. I don't think it's controversial to say that base Grado pads are uncomfortable but we'll see if that holds up to inspection...
3) No EQ
  • I think these sound pretty great out of the box. I wear glasses and was a little worried about the bass extension with no EQ but honestly it's not anemic or anything. Very listenable to, although when directly compared to the other EQ profiles there's definitely something missing in the treble somewhere.
4) @Robbo99999 EQ #2 and EQ1+2 Avg
  • Noticeable improvement over no EQ, I can hear it especially in about the last minute of Posing in Bondage. I'm pretty new to headphones and critical listening with them so I can't speak to "spatial effects" too much but I can say definitely I prefer EQ#2 to no EQ at all
  • I set the 105 Hz shelf to +3 db and don't crave for any low end. I didn't add anything to the 11000 shelf and in fact took the 7020 peak filter down about 1.5 db to counterbalance a little shrill in some vocals I was hearing. Minor changes only.
  • I also don't think I could tell a difference between EQ#2 and the averaged set. I can say definitively that I prefer one or the other over no EQ but I would not bet any money on myself being able to pick out one EQ profile from the other in a blind ABX test. For the most part I have been using EQ#2 profile with my changes but that's probably because I had fun toying around with it some and so I prefer it more because it makes me feel like I "personalized" it and that feels nice.
5) @TheHighContemplator edits proposed to EQ#2
  • Currently testing this as I'm typing. I think I need some the boost at that 7020 Hz filter but it could also be that I'm just "missing" it right now and it's presenting as an audible difference but not necessarily a difference in preference.
  • In any case I've left the 8,000 Hz shelf at +1.0 db and added the 7020 Hz peak back in but only given it a +3.0 db boost. I'm kind of digging it right now but that's far from conclusive and again could just be confirmation bias as now I feel a little ownership of it.
6) Conclusion
  • I would recommend the Drop x DCA Aeon Closed X to anyone looking for a comfortable and very competent headphone right out of the box, especially if you can get it at the current sale price (although I believe they are now delayed out until March).
  • I would recommend starting with the EQ#2 profile set and making tweaks to preference from there. My personal experience is that it needs a little bit more bass and a little bit of reduction somewhere in the 7-10 kHz range but it doesn't get easier in terms of having a great EQ template already defined.
Thanks to everyone in the forum for all of the input. Really happy I pulled the trigger on these, which I would not have done without the ASR community.
Nice review & impressions, feels like you've put some concentration & effort into evaluating the headphone and the different EQ's. Sounds like it's a slight win for Sample #2 EQ (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x.26711/post-934592). Interestingly you're another person who prefers that one yet also prefer to not boost the 7020Hz region as much. Cool, well it's good to build up a picture of the headphones out there, still seems to be leaning towards Sample#2 as being most representative. Congrats on your new headphone, and glad you're enjoying it!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get to find out how good the passive noise isolation is on the Aeon Closed X. I'm flying from Michigan to San Diego on Tuesday.

I wonder if I'll get any inquisitive looks from people, given their unusual design and the fact that they are not widely known?

ririt

I get to find out how good the passive noise isolation is on the Aeon Closed X. I'm flying from Michigan to San Diego on Tuesday.

I wonder if I'll get any inquisitive looks from people, given their unusual design and the fact that they are not widely known?
I recently flew from San Diego to France (Marseille) just after recovering my new Aeon RT at the Dan Clark facility. Passive noise isolation is decent but far from the one of my Sony WHM1000M3 Noise canceling headphone. However the sound coming from the Aeon was so good that I kept it on my ears most of the flight when listening music or during my transfer in airports.
Of note, I did not noticed that their unusual design induced specific inquisitive looks.

aandres_gm

Is anyone here using these from an iPhone using a lighting adapter? Next month I’ll be getting mine and will also have a transatlantic flight ahead, which would be a great time to use the headphones.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently flew from San Diego to France (Marseille) just after recovering my new Aeon RT at the Dan Clark facility. Passive noise isolation is decent but far from the one of my Sony WHM1000M3 Noise canceling headphone. However the sound coming from the Aeon was so good that I kept it on my ears most of the flight when listening music or during my transfer in airports.
Of note, I did not noticed that their unusual design induced specific inquisitive looks.

Good to know. Yeah, I don't expect them to be like noise canceling headphones.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Nice review & impressions, feels like you've put some concentration & effort into evaluating the headphone and the different EQ's. Sounds like it's a slight win for Sample #2 EQ (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x.26711/post-934592). Interestingly you're another person who prefers that one yet also prefer to not boost the 7020Hz region as much. Cool, well it's good to build up a picture of the headphones out there, still seems to be leaning towards Sample#2 as being most representative. Congrats on your new headphone, and glad you're enjoying it!
I've been spending a lot of time, since my earlier post, swapping between Sampe 1, Sample 2, and Oratory Aeon RT EQ settings. I've settled on the Sample 2 EQ settings. I'm good with the 7020Hz region per the Sample 2 EQ. I can hear how that would be track and personal preference related. I've been listening to a lot of contemporary jazz like, "Notturno", by the Roberto Olzer Trio. Lot's of percussion with cymbals.

The Sample 2 EQ works best for my preference with that album. If I reduce the 7020Hz filter then the cymbals sound a bit off to me. The Sample 1 EQ reminds me of the problems that I had with Aeon RT I bought direct from DC Audio. With the DCA-sourced RT, piano music sounded uneven to me with some of the higher notes a bit piercing when using Amir's EQ. That's a bit like what I hear with the Aeon X closed using Sample 1 EQ. I wound up returning the DCA RT but decided to give the Drop Aeon a try. Very happy with the results using Sample 2 EQ. Maybe if I had Sample 2 EQ at that time I'd have kept the DCA RT.

Oratory's Aeon RT closed EQ applied to X also sounds good to me but is more aggressive on the higher frequencies than the Sample 2 EQ and lighter in the bass. Alto sax is piercing but tonally balanced. Mezzo soprano Elīna Garanča on "Schumann, Brahms, and Lieder", also stands out pleasantly with Oratory's EQ. Turning up the bass a bit matches my preference with this EQ and gets it sounding a little close to Sample 2 EQ. To me it still sounds a bit thin.

Maybe with more Aeon X measurements learn which EQ is objectively closer to the target. I'm going with Sample 2 EQ for most of my listening. It sounds best of these EQ sets over the widest variety of music I play.

pk500

I flew to Seattle and back two weeks ago wearing Meze 99 Classics. With wooden cups and all-metal headband, I thought maybe someone would side-eye them on four total flights.

Nope. Not one. We audiophiles live in a niche world, peeps! :)

batfunk

I've been doing some listening and tweaking for the last week and I was wondering if anyone could try my changes to Robbo's Sample 2 EQ profile and share any feedback.

Here are the changes I've made:

Remove or turn off the 7020hz filter altogether. It seems like this dip is either part of the design or a measurement anomaly. When you boost this area, certain songs are very difficult to listen to because there's a really piercing quality to sibilance and certain sounds in this region.

I also use a 125hz low shelf filter with a Q of 0.25 and a boost of 3db. This adds a little warmth and punch without altering the quality of the mids.

The last change is a high shelf filter at 8khz with a Q of 2.00 and boost to taste. I use +1db to add a bit of "air" to the sound.

If anyone can try these changes out and share what you find, good or bad, that would be helpful to me. Maybe my ears are off, but these settings seem to sound very balanced to me. I waited three days to see if the settings would stand and I haven't felt the need to tinker in that time, something that has not happened since I got these cans.
turn off 7020hz:Well ,jazz hi hats are too mute with this.+3 db is a good compromise for musical genre other than jazz and classic
125 hz:better than 105 hz ,bass is really pushed forward,i like it ...but kick drum too :-(+3db is too much ,bass sound is a bit dull,less precise.+2 db is fine!it works marvelously with voice recordings like Norah Jones,warm et smooth!:D

here my compromise:160 hz +2 db lowshelf to give kick to bass wthout pushing kick drums.:p

My final EQ(funkateer edition):cool::

Preamp: -6.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 568.0 Hz Gain 2.60 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.80 dB Q 0.500
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 48.00 Hz Gain 2.90 dB Q 1.500
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 189.0 Hz Gain 3.00 dB Q 2.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 60.00 Hz Gain 1.00 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2200 Hz Gain 4.40 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 4.10 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7020 Hz Gain 3.10 dB Q 2.000
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 5310 Hz Gain -1.90 dB Q 2.000
Filter: ON LSC Fc 160 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.707
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 0.707

Thanks for your work!

Last edited:
OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

turn off 7020hz:Well ,jazz hi hats are too mute with this.+3 db is a good compromise for musical genre other than jazz and classic
125 hz:better than 105 hz ,bass is really pushed forward,i like it ...but kick drum too :-(+3db is too much ,bass sound is a bit dull,less precise.+2 db is fine!
here my compromise:160 hz +2 db lowshelf to give kick to bass wthout pushing kick drums.:p

My final EQ:cool::

Preamp: -6.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 568.0 Hz Gain 2.60 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.80 dB Q 0.500
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 568.0 Hz Gain 2.60 dB Q 1.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.80 dB Q 0.500
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 48.00 Hz Gain 2.90 dB Q 1.500
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 189.0 Hz Gain 3.00 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 60.00 Hz Gain 1.00 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 2200 Hz Gain 4.40 dB Q 2.000
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 4.10 dB Q 2.000
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 7020 Hz Gain 6.10 dB Q 2.000
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 5310 Hz Gain -1.90 dB Q 2.000
Filter: ON LSC Fc 160 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.707
Filter: ON HSC Fc 11000 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 0.707

Thanks for your work!
That's awesome! Thank you for your feedback. I think my ears are sensitive to the 7khz region relative to most people. It gets painful for me with a variety of material. I see in your final EQ, you still have Filter 10 at +6.1db. Is this correct?

Top Bottom