• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

doug2761

Forum Donor
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. I'm tempted to try the Noire, but I do hesitate as I find many people discussing that DCA headphones lack dynamics and are a little boring. Not sure if that is true. I had a first generation Ether open for a few weeks several years ago, and I have to admit, I did find it fairly boring.
Many people say many things. You do you.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Many people say many things. You do you.
I'm struggling to understand your above response? Are you somehow attempting to get me to feel that my posting my impression was invalid and not appropriate?

If I read between the lines
"Many people say many things"

It seems that you may be saying, it doesn't really matter what others say, there is no reason to make note and post what I have read. It really was just me writing about what I have read.

"You do you"
This feels rather disconnected from any point at all. It may be you simply saying, whatever buddy nobody cares, don't post just be quiet. Maybe you meant something else?

Now I'm not going to pretend that my post that prompted your reply was overly useful, or substantive, but even so, I am confused why you replied the way you did. Do you doubt that I have read many posts over the years where people have noted that they find DC Audio headphones lack dynamics?

I have almost 13000 posts at head-fi and I don't know how many thousands I have read. I posted what I believed to be a valid observation. Did you feel like my post attacked you and somehow diminished the enjoyment you get from your choice of headphone?

Anyway. I really don't think that there was anything wrong with my post.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. I'm tempted to try the Noire, but I do hesitate as I find many pqeople discussing that DCA headphones lack dynamics and are a little boring. Not sure if that is true. I had a first generation Ether open for a few weeks several years ago, and I have to ia, I i md find it fairly boring.
I allow there may be more dynamic headphones than the Noire, from frequent testimony by others who have also tried Focal's, some Audeze models, etc. However, I don't want them, because with my Noire and very dynamic recordings, I already find it difficult to find a volume setting that allows for a correct average SPL, as well as useful volume for quiet passages, without also causing uncomfortably loud SPL peaks. I have read similar comments by others.

However, peeling back the onion, it is likely the case that not everyone hears that same thing. For example, some people are more sensitive to, say, treble peaks than others. I would welcome comment by anyone who is familiar with the research on this, if any.

Further, I see discussions of the "punch" of any given headphone model, with various definitions of it that are not simply a matter of the dynamic range of SPL's, but also involve transient response and related time-domain attributes; I gather that this kind of commentary suffers from the lack of any consensus definition of what is being measured or heard.

My thought is that this aspect of headphones is not clearly defined, and that there may be significant individual variation in perception and preference. This suggests you might want to find some recordings that you find dynamic and exciting, and then find a venue or two to compare different models with the same music. Or use the 'buy, try, and if necessary, return' mail-order strategy that some ASR members report using. In other words, let your own ears be your guide.

Top Bottom