• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't buy banana plug from this site

GaryY

Forum Donor
My 10 AWG speaker cables (gearIT) are too stiff and I ordered some plugs and sleeve from Ali. Before plugging in cable, I measured open short what I usually don't do, but 6 plugs out of 8 were not conductive. It looks inner pin for giving pressure is not contacting front insert or (looking) gold plating is not well done. And.....at least Front insert part is PLASTIC... :) It was not plasitc. But still no contact from climping screw part to insert.

Edit :
This case may not be in general and, to avoid unfair reputation to the similar product from other manufacturer, I add the link of this product.
Also title is editted.
And here is the simple test.

20240209_155351.jpg
20240209_155603.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB
OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
why?
I could see some reason behind buying electronics from china (would not do it anyway), but audio connectors?
Yeh...it was mistake, but slightly cheaper and I had lots of time to wait. :)

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
The original ones from WBT are expensive, but they are great.

WBT-0610 Cu

MMRLIWAg.jpg

I've bought a crimping tool since.
I was stupid just looking at the price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209_174416_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209_174416_AliExpress.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 96

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I'd amend the thread title to don't use banana plugs. Never liked them. Prefer spades myself. Or bare wire tinned on the end.

What's wrong with banana plugs? I think they are much easier to use than spades. With spades you have to hold the cable in place while you tighten the connector. With bananas, just shove it in and you're done.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong with banana plugs? I think they are much easier to use than spades. With spades you have to hold the cable in place while you tighten the connector. With bananas, just shove it in and you're done.
Some don't hold the wire tight or loosen over time. Don't like that they give leverage on the jack if you are using large cables. An extra connection to worry about. I've had small little issues with those while with spades no such issues. If you plug and unplug them they are handy. I replaced them on my Quad ESL 63s with some sturdy copper binding posts. Now I'm not saying it is a big or common issue with most of them, but it is one issue you can avoid altogether. Spades are more trouble to connect, and sometimes their positioning by speaker makers does us no favors. But after they are on they are good. Maybe speak-ons are better than all of them.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Some don't hold the wire tight or loosen over time. Don't like that they give leverage on the jack if you are using large cables. An extra connection to worry about. I've had small little issues with those while with spades no such issues. If you plug and unplug them they are handy. I replaced them on my Quad ESL 63s with some sturdy copper binding posts. Now I'm not saying it is a big or common issue with most of them, but it is one issue you can avoid altogether. Spades are more trouble to connect, and sometimes their positioning by speaker makers does us no favors. But after they are on they are good. Maybe speak-ons are better than all of them.

I have all 3 types of connectors - spades, banana plugs, and Speakons. I love the Speakons, but they have a serious disadvantage - AFAIK there are no right angle connectors. Spades come only in right angle (might be a disadvantage), and banana plugs can be either right angle or straight. This means that extra room is required for Speakon connectors, which may or may not be an issue.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have all 3 types of connectors - spades, banana plugs, and Speakons. I love the Speakons, but they have a serious disadvantage - AFAIK there are no right angle connectors. Spades come only in right angle (might be a disadvantage), and banana plugs can be either right angle or straight. This means that extra room is required for Speakon connectors, which may or may not be an issue.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never "worried" about my Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs, but I switched to their spades simply because I wanted my cables to go straight down the back of the speaker stand.

Reactions: MAB
OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
I never "worried" about my Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs, but I switched to their spades simply because I wanted my cables to go straight down the back of the speaker stand.
I also try that plug to let cable go down, but quality was so poor.

Bleib

Major Contributor
1707578082477.jpeg

Wago's banana plugs are the only ones I've used that have never broken

Roland68

Major Contributor
My 10 AWG speaker cables (gearIT) are too stiff and I ordered some plugs and sleeve from Ali. Before plugging in cable, I measured open short what I usually don't do, but 6 plugs out of 8 were not conductive. It looks inner pin for giving pressure is not contacting front insert or (looking) gold plating is not well done. And.....at least Front insert part is PLASTIC... :)

View attachment 348504View attachment 348505
Are you sure you didn't make the connectors incorrectly?
I notice that your grub screws are sticking out way too far, even for 10 AWG cable. For two plugs, a grub screw is screwed in further. Are you sure that the other connectors are in contact?
Depending on the cable, only the conductor (preferably with a well-pressed ferrule) is clamped with the two grub screws or the conductor is clamped with the inner grub screw and the sheath of the cable with the outer one.
Are you sure they didn't push the wires in too far and just clamped the insulation?
It would be nice if you would post a picture of one of the plugs where you can also see the cable removed.

I haven't heard of any failures with this connector. Thousands of these plugs have been sold worldwide, many on Amazon. A dealer friend of mine has already assembled several hundred of these with cables and I have assembled 5 sets myself.
These plugs even have a particularly low contact resistance, which we measured as part of a project with outputs of several hundred watts.

By the way, the mandrel is only used for clamping/locking in the socket.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Are you sure you didn't make the connectors incorrectly?
I notice that your grub screws are sticking out way too far, even for 10 AWG cable. For two plugs, a grub screw is screwed in further. Are you sure that the other connectors are in contact?
Depending on the cable, only the conductor (preferably with a well-pressed ferrule) is clamped with the two grub screws or the conductor is clamped with the inner grub screw and the sheath of the cable with the outer one.
Are you sure they didn't push the wires in too far and just clamped the insulation?
It would be nice if you would post a picture of one of the plugs where you can also see the cable removed.

I haven't heard of any failures with this connector. Thousands of these plugs have been sold worldwide, many on Amazon. A dealer friend of mine has already assembled several hundred of these with cables and I have assembled 5 sets myself.
These plugs even have a particularly low contact resistance, which we measured as part of a project with outputs of several hundred watts.

By the way, the mandrel is only used for clamping/locking in the socket.
2 out 6 I tried screwed in but not connected. And then I found inner material is plastic and lost interest.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Poor? I think they're good.
Of course, it' my mistake that didn' read description carefully. It is described golden plated but didn't imagine that inner material is plastic. I don't want to have trouble insert can be broken inside of speaker socket and in that sense I would say this is poor quality, yes as much as I paid. Usually I prefer robust material.

Flexecutioner

20201004_100820_HDR.jpg
I swapped out some spades for something similar and haven't had any issues. Maybe you got some junk but I don't think it's a problem with this style of connector.

3125b

Major Contributor
I don't see the point of 4mm connectors at all for that kind of application. Just crimp on some decent lugs and use the screw connectors, it's not like you take that connection apart every couple days.
IMG_2061.jpg

Last edited:

SSS

I'd amend the thread title to don't use banana plugs. Never liked them. Prefer spades myself. Or bare wire tinned on the end.
Of course personal taste is a valid option. Myself I used from tinned wire end, spades and banana plugs. The best for me which I use now are goldplated banana plugs for hi-current (used in model electropowered airplanes) and solder the wire into it. This is my final usage as far as the amplifier has the banana jacks. If not I built an short adapter wire with banana jacks (gold plated hi-current) and the appropriate connector for the amp output. For musical instruments loudspeaker speak-on from Neutrik is the best to my opinion but almost no hifi amp has such jacks.

Top Bottom