• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't buy banana plug from this site

Roland68

Major Contributor
2 out 6 I tried screwed in but not connected. And then I found inner material is plastic and lost interest.
Which part should be made of plastic on the inside? My plugs are completely made of metal and there is no plastic inside.
As I said, as far as you can see the position of the grub screws in the picture, there is definitely something wrong with the assembly of the plugs.
I just want to help because I have professional experience with this and our company designs connectors ourselves and produces them with the major manufacturers, but of course you don't have to accept my help.

MAB

Major Contributor
My 10 AWG speaker cables (gearIT) are too stiff and I ordered some plugs and sleeve from Ali. Before plugging in cable, I measured open short what I usually don't do, but 6 plugs out of 8 were not conductive. It looks inner pin for giving pressure is not contacting front insert or (looking) gold plating is not well done. And.....at least Front insert part is PLASTIC... :)
From this picture it looks like the insulating sleeve from the cable hasn't been stripped.
1707586308932.png

Are you sure there is metal to metal contact? Your assembly looks strange, and appears wire isn't stripped and screws are seating on top of insulator.

Roland68

Major Contributor
From this picture it looks like the insulating sleeve from the cable hasn't been stripped.
View attachment 348723
Are you sure there is metal to metal contact? Your assembly looks strange, and appears wire isn't stripped and screws are seating on top of insulator.
That's exactly why I asked that he post a picture of one of the plugs, where you can also see the dismantled cable.
It also makes no sense at all that the outer grub screw is screwed in further than the inner one, as you can see in the picture. Something is not right

Reactions: MAB

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, it' my mistake that didn' read description carefully. It is described golden plated but didn't imagine that inner material is plastic. I don't want to have trouble insert can be broken inside of speaker socket and in that sense I would say this is poor quality, yes as much as I paid. Usually I prefer robust material.
Sorry, I was talking about the Sewell brand.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
View attachment 348723
Hi...sorry, My job is designing RF module and at least I believe I know open -short. :) Also I can differ conductor and isolator. I stripped 1~1.5 cm.

Reactions: MAB
OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Which part should be made of plastic on the inside? My plugs are completely made of metal and there is no plastic inside.
As I said, as far as you can see the position of the grub screws in the picture, there is definitely something wrong with the assembly of the plugs.
I just want to help because I have professional experience with this and our company designs connectors ourselves and produces them with the major manufacturers, but of course you don't have to accept my help.
This part, I have to correct, insert is not plastic either, When I broke it, look quite whitish, but it's metal. but still no contact from climping to insert pin. You can check short video above

Sokel

Master Contributor
Consider yourself lucky,remember the other guy who only received pictures?

Do your speakers a favor and buy from someone that is actually a company,not the one who get the knock-offs (these actually might be replicas of knock-offs,so knock-off² ) from some recycle bin dumpster in the back of the factory.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
That's exactly why I asked that he post a picture of one of the plugs, where you can also see the dismantled cable.
It also makes no sense at all that the outer grub screw is screwed in further than the inner one, as you can see in the picture. Something is not right
And also it shouldn't matter whether the pin from backside to give tension is fully screwed in or not because climping part and front pin to speaker socket are in one body and it should conduct when wire is well stripped.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Consider yourself lucky,remember the other guy who only received pictures?

Do your speakers a favor and buy from someone that is actually a company,not the one who get the knock-offs (these actually might be replicas of knock-offs,so knock-off² ) from some recycle bin dumpster in the back of the factory.
It was good lesson :)

MAB

Major Contributor
Edit :
This case may not be in general and, to avoid unfair reputation to the similar product from other manufacturer, I add the link of this product.
Also title is editted.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005553230517.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.10.5efb5c5fP2mo5q&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu And here is the simple test.
https://photos.onedrive.com/share/3...!891950&authkey=!AFecNujenrRmfqk&ithint=video
Thanks for your edit, and the follow-up work to ID what the problem with the product is. This makes your complaint helpful.:)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Though it's difficult to believe, I could imagine only one reason and yes it's true the pin to speaker was not conductive. Made of golden organic material maybe...:)

Takes a second or so for that beep to occur. You never had sustained contact with your probes. The interior metal may be pot metal which is conductive, but not very good for this purpose as it is brittle. It is very cheap.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Thanks for your edit, and the follow-up work to ID what the problem with the product is. This makes your complaint helpful.:)
I appreciate all the pointing out which lead to me to think it over. I should have defined cleary where I bought it. Thanks.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
You can rejoice,can't be magnetic :facepalm:
Thanks to occupational hazard, instead of anger, I'm Curious what is the material on the surface, thickness and dielectric constant and so on...haha

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate all the pointing out which lead to me to think it over. I should have defined cleary where I bought it. Thanks.
I'm still not sure. Why, because I've done exactly that thinking how could this be non-conductive. Lock that baby down in a clamp or put something on it to hold it solidly in place. I bet you'll get a tone then. I think if the stuff is non-conductive you would find others saying that all over the internet.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
I'm still not sure. Why, because I've done exactly that thinking how could this be non-conductive. Lock that baby down in a clamp or put something on it to hold it solidly in place. I bet you'll get a tone then. I think if the stuff is non-conductive you would find others saying that all over the internet.
I removed glittering surface with knife and could see the color of copper inside and it starts conducting. Before doing this I tried to heat it up with the flame of lighter, but still it was not conductive. Surface was not easily flamable material.

20240210_210849.jpg

Top Bottom