• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we need audio reviewers, and how they should they review products?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we need audio reviewers? (My answer is yes for what it is worth).

How should they review products? (Ahhh, here is where it gets interesting I think).

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We need reviewers because not everyone can know about everything available and unusually good, different, or innovative products should get some extra attention.

How to review however?

Stereo Review once had fairly useless reviews. A bit about the product, some very minimal measures and the conclusion was always of all the X we have reviewed this too is one of them.

Audio mag was a bit more useful. More detailed measures and a bit more about how it sounded with various gear.

Then we all know the subjective type review which has come to dominate.

My opinion is currently good basic measures for gear like Stereophile does is necessary and sometimes useful. However, I also think unless there is a gotcha or hiccup in those basic measures there is no point in subjective reviews. All the gear will sound the same, audibly transparent. Exceptions would be power amps due to speaker loading, speakers and headphones obviously. I actually think the bypass testing of amps with connected speakers is something reviewers should start doing. Both subjectively and with measurements having a few speaker loads to choose from as loading on the amps. Subjective amp comparisons should be blind of course or if not doable should touch base with loaded amplifier measurements using the reviewers own speakers as a load.

Speakers and headphones obviously will need a subjective component.

Otherwise reviewers should cover features, innovative aspects, user friendliness, UI and connectology. With gear that isn't power amps, or transducers this is all they should cover. Elaborate subjective review is complete garbage and a waste of time. It only leads to voodoo witch doctor products and considerations. Prime example being the incredibly large, varied and ridiculous concerns and accessory gear offered to simply connect two digital devices via USB.

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reviews can certainly be useful. As long as they're not the 6moons "I placed the miniature tibetan prayer bowl with an astronomic pricetag in my backyard, and the sound in my listening room was totally transformed" (seriously, they actually did this) type of so-called "review".

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Of course the industry needs media coverage of some kind to promote itself...

In the end of the day nobody forces us to take note of any particular review. For me, the amount of stories I have herd about reviewers keeping kit on 'special' privilege basis , distributiors being 'encourage ' to give generously to the publication for a 'Favourable' article. .. It's endless, it's a self serving machine... It's not to be taken seriously Imo.

So yea the industry needs them but personally I don't, not anymore.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes, audio reviewers are like chewing gum; it makes us look sharp, and on the edge.
They can review audio products in any which way they prefer; same for us reading them.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Reviews can certainly be useful. As long as they're not the 6moons "I placed the miniature tibetan prayer bowl with an astronomic pricetag in my backyard, and the sound in my listening room was totally transformed" (seriously, they actually did this) type of so-called "review.
Where can I get one? And, are the Tibetan ones really better than the Nepalese?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Of course the industry needs media coverage of some kind to promote itself...

In the end of the day nobody forces us to take note of any particular review. For me, the amount of stories I have herd about reviewers keeping kit on 'special' privilege basis , distributiors being 'encourage ' to give generously to the publication for a 'Favourable' article. .. It's endless, it's a self serving machine... It's not to be taken seriously Imo.

So yea the industry needs them but personally I don't, not anymore.

Like people in general, they span the gamut. I am privileged to know a couple of them who I trust completely, and they are not at all as you describe. I can and do take them seriously. If you knew them as I do, I am quite sure you would agree.

I know others who are unscrupulous and intellectually dishonest. Unfortunately, what you say is true of them.

Then, there are all the industry cheerleaders in between, especially on all the proliferating websites.

I always had the same credibility problems with reviewers in other fields, film reviewers, for example. Over time, you get to know who to pay attention to and who to tune out. Ditto for politicians and most anything else. It is the human condition.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't say I would shed a tear if all the audio mags went away.
A little bit extreme that they don't do the job doesn't mean there isn't a job to be done. That of gathering information and to serve it to us in an agreable and hopefully true form.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My July Stereophile arrived today...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Any bad reviews worth reading?

I don't know, I haven't read them yet.

EQUIPMENT REPORTS
52 Zu Audio Soul Supreme loudspeaker by Herb Reichert
63 Unison Research Unico Primo integrated amplifier by Ken Micallef
79 Pass Labs HPA-1 headphone amplifier by John Atkinson
87 Nordost Valhalla 2 interconnects, speaker cables, AC cords by Brian Damkroger
93 Audeze LCD-4 headphones by John Atkinson

FOLLOW-UP
60 DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/93 loudspeaker by Herb Reichert
85 Ayre Acoustics Codex D/A headphone amplifier by John Atkinson

37 Music in the Round
Kalman Rubinson reviews SOtM’s sMS-1000SQ Windows Edition
with AudiophileOptimizer and Roon and comments on several
new surround recordings.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I would start with page 52, page 87 (for fun), page 37 (a favorite - Music in the Round), page 63 and page 60 (curiosity).
The music selections @ the end, and everything else over the next few weeks, months, years, or never.

Top Bottom