• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we crave distortion?

I agree but this a damning predicament for the 'music lover'.
Those "enhancements" are best left to the artists and production team...
I'd really prefer not to conflate with a different kind of an example, but I must; since it is a simpler way to get my message across.
You go to a shelter and adopt a 1 year old pet. You have no idea how this pet was raised in the critical first year of life.
Yes, when you do bring the cutesie home, you finally realize that every time you raise your arm to scratch your head, your newly adopted pet goes and hides under the couch.
Similar to you purchasing a recorded music (no matter the type of media; as was the case w/the 'adopted pet'); you really do not know its provenance.
...They're the ones that are supposed to be creating the music.
You (me? any music listener?) have zero clue: Isn't it at this stage -- just before speakers start doing their work -- that you realize that you have become part of that 'production team that is creating the music'?:confused:

Strictly, in the context of 2 channel/stereo music production/delivery; as other forms (multi-channel and/or headphones) make this damning predicament much more complex.

"Do we crave distortion?"
Every time I take a drink.
I would like to nominate you to start a thread on that exact topic.

Just for giggles, and as a non-drinker, I asked for:
"Effects of alcohol consumption on human hearing."
Certainly! Alcohol can indeed impact hearing. Here are some key points:
Auditory Hair Cells:
Alcohol damages the tiny hair cells in the inner ear responsible for translating external sounds into nerve impulses.
These hair cells are crucial for hearing, and alcohol use can prevent them from properly regrowing or repairing themselves.
Auditory Cortex Shrinkage:
The auditory cortex in the brain processes and interprets sounds.
Chronic alcohol consumption reduces blood flow to the brain, causing the auditory cortex to shrink.
When this happens, the brain may struggle to process sounds even if the ears pick them up1.
Temporary “Cocktail Deafness”:
After drinking, some people experience a form of temporary hearing damage known as “cocktail deafness.”
This phenomenon makes loud noises more tolerable but clears up a few hours after alcohol consumption.
Tinnitus and Balance Issues:
Alcohol changes the volume and composition of fluid in the inner ear, leading to dizziness, imbalance, and hearing loss.?Both hearing and balance are located within the inner ear.
"Excuse me, Bartender! Would you please change my order to 10% distortion instead of 10% alcohol?":rolleyes:

I would like to nominate you to start a thread on that exact topic.

Just for giggles, and as a non-drinker, I asked for:
"Effects of alcohol consumption on human hearing."

"Excuse me, Bartender! Would you please change my order to 10% distortion instead of 10% alcohol?":rolleyes:
i can't drink baileys anymore i'm on medication

however class d

Abstaining from drinking Baileys does not mean you have to stop the consumption of Baileys.;)
i look at the bottle in the fridge and the unopened on the counter but i can't drink it
448900223_10161346028770149_8736809540936412013_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom