• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I really need 3 remotes to watch TV.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
7z0sky5bs1a71.jpg

I just use a PC.
Don't want any "Smart" Spyware in my monitor and don't see why i would need different devices to do the same thing (that is play back media)
Surely anyone can DIY this using duct tape.

I have seen someone with a little wooden tray and made form fitting foam in the tray so all of his remotes (three as I recall) fit in the one tray.

deadwood83

I use the Sofabaton U1. It does work for FireTV and all my other stuff.

Some caveats:

-I cannot find a way to enter codes manually. You can learn from original remote or use the profiles they share online via the app, but you cannot manually enter codes. Not a problem if you have the original remotes, but annoying if you are trying to consolidate and include a remote you lost. e.g. the Benq W1070 profile they provide does not have a functional power button profile. I can spoof the power button with IR blaster from my phone, but since my phone must be on the sofabaton app to learn, I cannot use it to program the remote via the learning method.

- No Amazon voice function. If you never used it, then no big deal.

- UI is not explained super well, and manual is not very detailed. Luckily they have active forums.

My ideal universal would have all the special function buttons with similar labels to the original remote. Sadly this is basically impossible while preserving physical buttons (I hate touch panel remotes). IMO the U1 is a nice compromise for the asking price. The UI for programming is a little clunky when you want to do advanced things, and you must pair it with your phone via BT to program, but you get movement wake functionality, you can name and icon all the devices on the oled list, and it has replaceable batteries which is a MASSIVE boon. I will not buy a remote without user replaceable batteries.

The learn from IR is a nice function. I use a discrete DAC for my HT setup; so all I did was manually set the volume buttons for all modes/sources/devices to the IR codes for dac volume up and dac volume down. There is also a dedicated power button for the display. So guests can just press TV power, and then even if they have the wrong device selected and adjust the volume, it adjusts the DAC.

It feels limited at first, but you can find ways around some things.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
My apple TV 4k turns my TV on through Hdmi. It's able to adjust the volume as well and turn the TV off.

I cast the audio with airplay to my streamer (Cambridge CXN V2) and that triggers the amplifier.
This allows me to adjust the volume of the amplifier and the TV gets automatically muted.

The amplifier turns automatically off after 20minutes of playing nothing.

Pretty much a one remote solution with the apple TV remote

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah as you can see in the OP you quoted... Bluetooth is required for one device and the above is IR only. OP has already ordered a BT/IR learning remote off Amazon.

JSmith

I thought so to, but the navigation buttons on the standard remote for my 2015 LG TV will control my Amazon Fire TV 4K Max. Presumably the Fire TV is picking up the IR from the remote or the control signals are being sent via HDMI-CEC (which LG calls Simplink). The Fire TV is hidden well behind the TV, so i'm favouring the later explanation.

StuartC

Forum Donor
I had the sofabaton, and it worked OK, but the buttons were heavy and clicky and started to lose responsiveness after 18 months.

I then bought a logitech elite with hub secondhand from ebay. Much better. And I can link it to various other IOT systems. So it controls my TV, AVR, 2 satellite boxes, NVIDIA shield, DAC and the plugs for my active speakers. All programmed easily into separate "activities".

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My house is filled with tech but without much reason or logic so I don't even know what I'm doing most of the time, having like 15 remotes is the cherry on top of this chaos.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I only have 1 remote, the one for the BDP-95. I feel so...inadequate :oops:

Andysu

Major Contributor
i use the actual remote . otherwise buying these smart remotes , one will still be foundling around with controls for many more extra seconds . i use the actual remote for the player that is being used for movie show

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Got the SofaBaton today - we will see! Appreciate the ideas.

It does seem services don’t want to make it easy to use more than one source with a TV. Remote Control Lock-In! I must have a drawer full of them, waiting to serve but they never will…

Andysu

Major Contributor
i many more remote controls present . picture was no-years ago . but i use actual ones . no rubbish apps no rubbish smart remotes . actual remote only
62625_10151582769205149_1552768932_n (1).jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My recent remote journey...

I have the following devices in our family room:
  • 2015 LG 4K 'Smart' TV
  • Denon AVR-250BT (connected to Canton CD101 Movie speakers and Yamaha YST-FSW050 sub)
  • Humax Freesat receiver (used to receive free to air satellite in the UK)
  • Amazon Fire TV 4K Max (wired connection with UGreen USB Ethernet Adapter)
Previously, I'd had an Nvidia Shield, rather than the Fire TV and used a Logitech Harmony 785 to control everything. This had worked fine for many years, the 785 was purchased in 2009 and the TV and Shield in 2015. However, a couple issues forced me to revisit and change the setup...

1. No access to 'All 4' streaming application. This is used to watch Channel 4 in the UK. Despite having 3 'smart' devices (TV, Humax Freesat and Nvidia Shield), none of them support the All 4 app. My understanding is that this is due to licensing restrictions related to Channel 4's unique status as both a public service and commercial entity. The solution was to buy a Fire TV 4K Max on Black Friday which does have access to All 4 and all the other apps I was using on the Shield.

2. Harmony 785 was showing it's age. The device had become unstable and was rebooting often, usually when you picked it up and wanted to use it. I looked at the Sofabaton U1 as an alternative to the Harmony. However the reviews mentioned difficult setup and poor build quality which put me off, I also didn't want to spend much on this secondary system. I ended up buying an One For All Evolve 4 which is nowhere like as clever as the Harmony (or Sofabaton), but it does have basic learning and macro capabilities. For example, I have the TV 'magic button' programmed to turn the TV, AVR and Freesat box on or off with a single press and whilst in this mode the volume buttons control the AVR and the programme buttons control the Freesat box.

The remaining challenge is to get the remote to switch to (and ideally control) the Fire TV. For this, i'll need to program the Evolve 4 with the discrete input selection codes for my LG TV which is tricky because the original remotes don't output these codes (i'm assuming the codes exist because the Harmony could send them). Maybe I can get the Harmony working long enough to teach the Evolve the codes.

Anyway, i'm pretty happy with the Evolve 4 for £14: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NA9M3V4

It's meeting a key WAF constraint: "I just want one remote!"

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
We really need a company taking over what was Logitech Harmony Remotes. I have 2 x Harmony Elite remotes and a third one brand new never opened as spare. 3 years after Logitech closed down their remotes business and still nothing gets even closer to what the Harmony Elite is.

CD13

I’ve reserved this though my Elite is working fine…but inevitability it will fail.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I’ve reserved this though my Elite is working fine…but inevitability it will fail.

"The only remote you will ever need" - Lets hope so!...

"Expected retail price is €449 / $459."

Having said that, back in 2000, I owned a Philips Pronto TS-1000 with docking station and rechargeable battery which would have cost more in constant dollars...

mglobe

Forum Donor
It galls me to no end that Logitech purchased Harmony and then shut it down. The Harmony remotes were by far the best universals made.

Top Bottom