• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I really need 3 remotes to watch TV.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Our bedroom TV setup is simple. DirectTV and Firestick feeding a Vizio TV and a little amplifier and speakers (volume controlled from variable analog output from TV). I need one remote each for DirectTV and Firestick and the TV remote to switch inputs between them.

I’ve researched this and don’t see a single universal remote that can control everything. The Firestick uses BlueTooth I think and the DTV uses IR remotes.

I could either writer s 20-page illustrated guide for my wife, or spend money and get something that works. What can I buy?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Find an old school proper learning remote. Not a universal remote.

I picked up this remote for 50c in a bargain bin. It's basically a re-badged Sunwave 3000 type. The best learning remote I've ever had. Batteries (3xAAA) last for around 5 years, it's backlit blue, has an ambient light sensor, switches on when you move it and all the icons can be customised to suit the device/s.

I use just one screen and put the TV, DAC, AMP, Air conditioning most used things on it. My partner has no trouble with it and loves the light up display.

Here's one on ebay, grab it while you can

Edit: it can't do bluetooth of course, just IR.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
The Firestick uses BlueTooth I think and the DTV uses IR remotes.
You might want to look at these, or similar... as the older types of learning universal remotes are IR only;

1669596435938.png

JSmith

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’d seen the SofaBaton but the reviews were sketchy, but ordered. Thanks.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I’d seen the SofaBaton but the reviews were sketchy, but ordered. Thanks.
No probs, although I haven't tried these ones myself as yet. I hope the one ordered does the job for you and would be interested in some feedback on same once you get it operating.

JSmith

dartinbout

I miss my Philips Pronto. Big programable LCD screen. Easy to create, learn or customize various device interface from a huge community that shared. Alas, you have to boot an XP VM to work with it. Everything after that was just created for those without the patience to work with it. I've never seen the like since. I had a 8 remote controls programmed and it could do macro's.

Last edited:

dartinbout

Isn't the whole audio hobby, kind of a 1st world pursuit. Nobody in Haiti (for example) gives two flying shits about too many remotes. They've cholera, clean water, rampant corruption going back to decades, and a gang led embargo on diesel fuel (all their electricity comes via small generators) to contend with. In fact the whole stinking world is going to hell in a hand basket (as it has continuously for millennia). How do these facts relate to the OP RC issues?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the whole audio hobby, kind of a 1st world pursuit. Nobody in Haiti (for example) gives two flying shits about too many remotes. They've cholera, clean water, rampant corruption going back to decades, and a gang led embargo on diesel fuel (all their electricity comes via small generators) to contend with. In fact the whole stinking world is going to hell in a hand basket (as it has continuously for millennia). How do these facts relate to the OP RC issues?
Just because we (That I know of.) don't live in a 3rd world country does not mean life doesn't go on. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

Ornette

Our bedroom TV setup is simple. DirectTV and Firestick feeding a Vizio TV and a little amplifier and speakers (volume controlled from variable analog output from TV). I need one remote each for DirectTV and Firestick and the TV remote to switch inputs between them.

I’ve researched this and don’t see a single universal remote that can control everything. The Firestick uses BlueTooth I think and the DTV uses IR remotes.

I could either writer s 20-page illustrated guide for my wife, or spend money and get something that works. What can I buy?
You can program your DirecTV remote to control almost any model of TV, if you haven't already. Then you can use the ENTER key on said remote to switch between TV inputs.

JSmith

Master Contributor
DirecTV remote
Yeah as you can see in the OP you quoted... Bluetooth is required for one device and the above is IR only. OP has already ordered a BT/IR learning remote off Amazon.

JSmith

Ornette

Yeah as you can see in the OP you quoted... Bluetooth is required for one device and the above is IR only. OP has already ordered a BT/IR learning remote off Amazon.

JSmith
Most DirecTV remotes also have an RF mode, FWIW. I had a universal remote once, found it a bit annoying, and finally ditched it. My suggestion gets rid of one of the remotes, at least.

sdrichard

Can't you ditch the DirecTV box and use the DirecTV streaming app on the Firestick instead? If your TV is connected to your amp via ARC HTMI, then you should just need one remote.

MCH

Major Contributor
I find the subject pertinent. Remotes are not anymore simple (to me).
My fire stick remote can control some (not all) functions of my Samsung tv. The other way around is the same. My flirc ir dongle cannot learn either. I don't know what technology these smart remotes use, on the positive side they work way better than traditional ones and batteries last forever, on the negative side all these incompatibilities... When I search for a universal one the most common comment is "not compatible with Samsung tv" I would also like to find an one fits all solution.

MAB

Major Contributor
You only need one remote. That turns the tv on.

You need the second and third remotes to play content and adjust the volume. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom