• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I really need 3 remotes to watch TV.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
I just use my iPhone and apps.
So we open another thread - “do I need 3 apps to watch tv?” Hah! Television in general has a horrible user interface IMO. Lots of people are trying to give us a good experience with their product, but few try to deliver a good experience across products.

CD13

"The only remote you will ever need" - Lets hope so!...

"Expected retail price is €449 / $459."

Having said that, back in 2000, I owned a Philips Pronto TS-1000 with docking station and rechargeable battery which would have cost more in constant dollars...

It’s a chunky price to be sure, and I’d just missed out on the kickstarter discounts, but it looks promising to be a does everything remote.

I remember that Pronto back in the day. I’d probably contemplated one of those too.

Madeintooting

Not sure if the content is the same but you can get Directv "stream" as an app on firestick.

Firestick can also adjust volume, switch tv on and off over HDMI CEC if your set is so equipped.

Audiomn

Forum Donor
You might want to consider what I just set up for my father-inlaw. Grab an Apple TV, switch to DirectTV Streaming (it has the same channel selection and full DVR while being cheaper), hook the Apple TV up via HDMI and EARC to your receiver.

If your receiver doesn’t have HDMI control (CEC) program the Apple TV with the receiver volume up/down and set the Apple TV mute button to your receivers power button. With this configuration you can control almost everything with just the Apple TV remote.

For bonus points, sign up for Apple Music and get full 24 bit 48khz lossless audio for $12 a month.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
You might want to consider what I just set up for my father-inlaw. Grab an Apple TV, switch to DirectTV Streaming (it has the same channel selection and full DVR while being cheaper), hook the Apple TV up via HDMI and EARC to your receiver.

If your receiver doesn’t have HDMI control (CEC) program the Apple TV with the receiver volume up/down and set the Apple TV mute button to your receivers power button. With this configuration you can control almost everything with just the Apple TV remote.

For bonus points, sign up for Apple Music and get full 24 bit 48khz lossless audio for $12 a month.
Thanks, I haven’t been aware that DirectTV Streaming had a DVR,.

Audiomn

Forum Donor
Thanks, I haven’t been aware that DirectTV Streaming had a DVR,.
Yeah! It’s pretty good too. They’ve also added a lot more local sports channels, which was the big reason my FIL was holding out. It’s only like $79 a month or something.

I personally use Sling which also has a dvr and is about half the price. It doesn’t have as many sports, but I don’t mind.

Nwickliff

Apple TV with a TV that EARC and enhanced HDMI control and use the single apple tv remote to control absolutely everything. Easy.

Top Bottom