• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need to clean my LP's?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh? Wut? Repeat, please! Preferably, in English! No Graphics!:facepalm:
Consider a brain that drops big bucks to get the purest isoprop. Then mixes it with distilled water of the priciest and finest kind:
before.png

My brain after learning to buy the cheap 70% stuff:
after.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...the only thing I’d add to cleaning might be an enzyme to break down any protein containing spill on the disc. Not so commonly needed.
Wasn't there some type of an enzymatic-agent product on the market, for use with LPs? Possibly, early 1980s?
I’m fully aware of the technical limitations of vinyl. But after an evening of listening to CDs yesterday, a switch to vinyl evoked a feeling that the best of my LPs sounds far more engaging than my CDs.
It may sound as a far-fetched equivalence but... this probably is the reason why I prefer driving clutch cars, without isopropyl alcohol!:)

Tom C

Major Contributor
Wasn't there some type of an enzymatic-agent product on the market, for use with LPs? Possibly, early 1980s?

It may sound as a far-fetched equivalence but... this probably is the reason why I prefer driving clutch cars, without isopropyl alcohol!:)
It’s been some time since I’ve looked into it, but there are currently available products. Osage Audio, for example, offers this.
I believe it would be acceptable to use pancrease, which is produced for people who don’t have a pancreas, so they can digest their food. Makes sense when you think about how often people would play records while eating cheeseburger and fries, or how many records have cocktails and beer spilled on them.
In the early 1980’s, I was young and broke, didn’t really get into hifi until 2009 or so.

Tom C

Major Contributor
BTW, I like a manual transmission too. Sold my last one about two years ago. Miss that car, but just didn’t make sense in the Wisconsin winter.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the early 1980’s, I was young and broke, didn’t really get into hifi until 2009 or so.
I got into vinyl in 2015 - about 35 years after it was declared an “obsolete” technology!

My system today reflects my early 90’s aspirations which were not realized until many years afterward.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
The same question could be asked about the use of a bathroom. Do you clean what gets dirty or is fungus required for care. Cameras, LPs, CDs,
ARMPITS, B__TCRA__S. I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling just in case they a missing a buttcrack or have a few extras. Calling vinyl obsolete
after it being around for as long as it has is like calling 68 Ford or Chevy pickups obsolete when AC, padded dash, LP under-dash and a few
different engines and transmissions were an option. Old maybe but never obsolete. Power windows, a tilt bed and an air ride suspension.
Sound kind of like a turntable.

You can always get a little more and make vinyl a little better for the vinyl lover. People that don't want to take the time with vinyl, reap what
they sow and conversely those that do take the time enjoy the experience.

Measure bad, sound good, the story of my life. The reason for an extra rear view mirror too, in a few of my old hotrods.

Regards

dogberry

A decent effort to clean records is as big a vinyl upgrade as any other. I never sold my LPs and actually inherited a lot from my brother and more still from a colleague. So when I got back into it I decided to clean them and started with a VPI 16.5, which was very effective but noisy. If it made a significant difference, could a better machine do more? Yes, one could and I was so happy with a Loricraft and my Decca Reference, SME V/10, Quad tube amps and ESLs that I never looked at a forum for ten years. When I did, I found ultrasonic cleaning had been invented, so now I use a Degritter after the Loricraft. Most records end up silent, unless scratched, and nothing saves those. You don't have to use an expensive machine - Neil Antinn shows it can be done with a manual technique, but I'd rather have the convenience of a pushbutton cleaner and spend more time listening to music!

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I take what I have:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A decent effort to clean records is as big a vinyl upgrade as any other. I never sold my LPs and actually inherited a lot from my brother and more still from a colleague. So when I got back into it I decided to clean them and started with a VPI 16.5, which was very effective but noisy. If it made a significant difference, could a better machine do more? Yes, one could and I was so happy with a Loricraft and my Decca Reference, SME V/10, Quad tube amps and ESLs that I never looked at a forum for ten years. When I did, I found ultrasonic cleaning had been invented, so now I use a Degritter after the Loricraft. Most records end up silent, unless scratched, and nothing saves those. You don't have to use an expensive machine - Neil Antinn shows it can be done with a manual technique, but I'd rather have the convenience of a pushbutton cleaner and spend more time listening to music!
The HummingGuru is a less expensive ultrasonic solution that has worked well for me over the past year.

Top Bottom