• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need to clean my LP's?

mcdonalk

Recently, when announcing to a relative my intent to use a recently-purchased Spin-Clean Record Washer on some LP's, of which I am the original owner and which have not been played in decades, her reply was, “If you’ve always handled them correctly, and stored them in their sleeves, why do you need to clean them?” I think that this is a very good question. Is there a good reason for me to clean them?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you hear cracking noise then you should clean them. If not then not.
Static is not dirt. You need to use anti static.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently, when announcing to a relative my intent to use a recently-purchased Spin-Clean Record Washer on some LP's, of which I am the original owner and which have not been played in decades, her reply was, “If you’ve always handled them correctly, and stored them in their sleeves, why do you need to clean them?” I think that this is a very good question. Is there a good reason for me to clean them?
Most cleaners do more damage than good. But If the records are dusty, dirty, finger printed you have little choice.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If a record has been kept clean and stored properly, there is no reason to clean it. I have had instances where cleaning made things worse. Some pressings (too many) have clicks and pops which have accumulated on the stampers during manufacturing and these are made permanent on the finished LPs. Cleaning won't remove them since they are part of the groove.

If you purchase used records where their previous care is unknown, sure, cleaning might be indicated. But newly purchased records cleaned by brush before play on a turntable which has a lid to keep out dust should stay in the state they were when new. Use an anti-static gun such as the Zerostat so that dust isn't attracted to the disc. Always return played discs to their sleeves and place them with the open end of the inner sleeve in the upright position so dust can't enter from the open end of the outer jacket.

The need for cleaning LPs is advocated by (big surprise) people who manufacture recording cleaning machines.

Last edited:

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a good reason for me to clean them?
You will know when you clean them.
I have a Nitty Gritty vacuum record cleaner and I highly recommend cleaning LP. Sometime the difference after cleaning is big, sometime not so big, hard to tell before you do it.
I found out years ago that instead of wondering, clean the record then play it with the confidence that you get the best performance and concentrate on the music.
Once it is clean store it back in a anti static sleeve, job done.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Back when I was playing records I never heard any difference after cleaning but I had a Discwasher and I occasionally used Discofilm which is applied as a gel and then it "dries" to something like dense Jell-O and you peel it off, hopefully taking the dust & dirt with it. (It was available in the U.S. in those days.)

And, I had (and still have) a Shure cartridge with a built-in brush.

I think the main "theory of cleaning" is that the record gets damaged when the stylus pushes the dust around in the grooves it causes damage so cleaning is preventive.

Most cleaners do more damage than good.
I think that theory is that the stylus normally pushes dirt "safely" out of it's path and then cleaning can move the dirt around to where it makes more noise. The same "theory" applies to wet-playing... The water (or water-based fluid) lifts the dirt and it later settles back into the grove in a worse place. So, "they say" once you wet-play you have to continue to wet-play.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Back when I was playing records I never heard any difference after cleaning but I had a Discwasher and I occasionally used Discofilm which is applied as a gel and then it "dries" to something like dense Jell-O and you peel it off, hopefully taking the dust & dirt with it. (It was available in the U.S. in those days.)

And, I had (and still have) a Shure cartridge with a built-in brush.

I think the main "theory of cleaning" is that the record gets damaged when the stylus pushes the dust around in the grooves it causes damage so cleaning is preventive.

I think that theory is that the stylus normally pushes dirt "safely" out of it's path and then cleaning can move the dirt around to where it makes more noise. The same "theory" applies to wet-playing... The water (or water-based fluid) lifts the dirt and it later settles back into the grove in a worse place. So, "they say" once you wet-play you have to continue to wet-play.
And why is the dirt there in the first place? ;)

JSmith

Master Contributor
As others mentioned, keeping records in their dust sleeves should mean they stay reasonably clean... I just use one of these before play;

Brush_625x625.jpg

... or even this microfibre cloth type for a wipe off;

JSmith

KR500

I used the attached stylus brush for years, then the Discwasher with good results before the Spin clean machine which also worked well..

For a while I made a system with an discarded old industrial school record player with a working motor driven platter. An old canister vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool attached to the hose and a slot cut into the flat edge with velvet fabric glued on each side of the slit on the crevice tool. Rotate the vinyl lp on record player with a clean margarine tub lid with a drilled center hole to protect the album paper label. Used the $30 steam cleaner from Walgreens to spray steam cleaning on vinyl while vacuuming with flat crevice tool. Batch clean 10 lp's or 20 at a time and set to dry in a dish drying rack before wiping with a muslin cloth and putting them in better sleeves.
Yes , it is a time investment but worth it.
I did a huge batch of my RCA Bluebird sets over several days. The proof was when I did this on a rare Impulse album by Kai Winding and JJ Johhnson that was in poor shape. Huge difference afterwards.

BJL

For a new (meaning, never played) LP, stored in a quality anti-static sleeve, I generally don't clean. For new LPs stored in paper sleeves, any record with visible dust or fingerprints, used records purchased from others, or any record with noticeable surface noise, clicks or pops, I clean with a solution of Tergitol (marketed as Tergikleen) and distilled water, dry the record (either manually or on a vacuum cleaner), followed by a distilled water wash then dry. This is the procedure that has been recommended by the US Library of Congress and the Canadian equivalent. Once cleaned with Tergitol, stored in an anti-static sleeve, I generally do not have to clean again.

Even though it is inconvenient, for any old record that I've played in the past, if I care about it, I will clean it.

Tergikleen is a highly concentrated cleaner based on Tergitol, about 15 drops per gallon of water. https://tergikleen.net I believe that there are other cleaners using Tergitol that are available but I haven't used anything else. Following up with a distilled water wash is absolutely essential.

I do not believe that a carbon fiber brush is adequate if there is visible dust, as the visible dust suggests particles in the groove that won't be removed mechanically (i.e. without a wet system). The Spin Doctor mentioned is great, though I'm lazy and use a vacuum cleaner for convenience. I have not found any cleaning fluid as good as a Tergitol solution.

The good reason to clean the records once (aside from the obvious if there is visible contamination) is that some contamination is not readily visible, and a properly cleaned record will have lower surface noise, and it will also preserve the stylus.

Leiker535

If you purchase used records where their previous care is unknown, sure, cleaning might be indicated.
I agree with almost everything you said but this. Cleaning for worn and dirty LPs has been a must for me since I started collecting from thrift shops. The difference it makes in reproduction is dramatic, aside from the looks. Of course it is not perfect and won't fix broken LPs, but it easily made G+ LPs I had into VG and even VG into VG+/NM territory, this one being an example:

That being said, the ultimate solution IMO is still to treat your LPs to something like ClickRepair. Here be a cleaned record (poorly) recorded and treated by me, repaired then raw:

Attachments

• 1653879303964.png
    1653879303964.png
    902.7 KB · Views: 74

mike70

That kind of question is much better answered with the experience. Create your own.

If you care about my personal experience ... good cleaning gives me a dramatic difference with vinyl.
Best cleaning? Vacuum RCM (there you have from a few hundred to thousands bucks, depending on the "convenience" features)
After a one decent first cleaning ... the record goes to a new anti static inner sleeve and after that, many years of clean sound. When i say clean, i mean, almost zero click and pops in an entire record or zero with brand new records (you need to clean brand new records, factories aren't hospitals and also with an awful paper / cardboard inner sleeve, but that's another talk)

Ok, i go back to the first concept ... try it yourself. Test a RCM with a fiend / dealer.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

WDeranged

I like to give all my records a clean at least once. I expect they'll stay clean for a good few years.

mike70

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That's a very good reading in general, and specifically the homemade cleaning fluid recipe.

After a quick read, I ended up going through it pretty thoroughly, and the guy seems to know his stuff here. I found it interesting that he doesn't use any of the vacuum or ultrasonic cleaners himself.

Thought I'd sign on for the full recommended process.
Better living through chemistry!

0530220843.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
Red velvet thing for when you see dust or something.

Ref. 1970s: You don't need those fancy expensive machines if you only buy new records and clean them. [Microfibre] cloth to clean with suitable diluted detergent, rinse and then 2nd rinse with distilled water, another [microfibre] cloth to dry.

Top Bottom