• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need a Balanced XLR to Unbalanced RCA Convertor Box?

Norrlandius

Most of my audio production and listening equipment are in XLR connections but my integrated amp is in RCA only.

Do I need to buy myself a XLR to RCA convertor box, or just get the appropriate adaptors or cables with the correct fittings and call it a day?

Edit: In case the answer is yes I do need a box, should I get a convertor box that does both way conversion or just a single one-way conversion?

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Usually a simple adapter is OK but sometimes not... The best thing is if you can check with the manufacturer (of the XLR-output device), or be safe and go with an active (or transformer) converter box.

The issue is - Usually you don't want to "short" one of the signal wires to ground.

The other way is always OK... Unbalanced-out to balanced-in.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can get a simple adapter that routes XLR Pin 1 to RCA GND, Pin 2 to RCA Signal, and leaves Pin 3 disconnected (floating).

This will generally work fine, though may introduce some anomalies like increased harmonic distortion or DC offset.

Some examples you can find in the Schiit Magnius ASR thread, where the 1/4" output shows what can happen when you only use one half of a differential signal, or in this post, where ASR member Nagster measured what happens when you adapt the differential output of a Topping D10 Balanced in different ways.

I agree with DVDdoug in that you should make sure that your XLR to RCA adapter is not shorting Pin 3 (Cold) to GND.

Pin 3 shorted to GND is what the "TS to RCA adapter" measurements in Nagster's post represent.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most of my audio production and listening equipment are in XLR connections but my integrated amp is in RCA only.

Do I need to buy myself a XLR to RCA convertor box, or just get the appropriate adaptors or cables with the correct fittings and call it a day?

Edit: In case the answer is yes I do need a box, should I get a convertor box that does both way conversion or just a single one-way conversion?
the best way to frame the question is to exactly state 'in which direction'? - balanced to unbalanced -or- unbalanced to balanced... there are a lot of choices (as stated above) depending upon the purpose/application and in some cases, the device's i/o design... from passive cables to active converter boxes, each has advantages, tradeoffs and challenges...

dmilller

I would just buy the cable and be sure pin 3 is disconnected. This disconnection is standard so it should not normally be an issue. I suppose there may be a conversion box with a ground so that a long run could benefit from the ground. But I would not worry about an issue unless the run is more than 2-3 meters.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually helps to just list the make/model of gear you're connecting.....

EV/AV

XLR to RCA cable.jpg

Looking to connect a balanced output (HTP-1) to an old AV receiver analog audio input for a single speaker until I get a 2nd dedicated Buckeye amp. Will this cable work, or do I need to disconnect pin 3? Probably should just buy an appropriate cable, but wanted it quick.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 325322

Looking to connect a balanced output (HTP-1) to an old AV receiver analog audio input for a single speaker until I get a 2nd dedicated Buckeye amp. Will this cable work, or do I need to disconnect pin 3? Probably should just buy an appropriate cable, but wanted it quick.
You should leave pin3 disconnected. I'm not sure though what you mean with single speaker. If you really have only one speaker one RCA cable is sufficient as you'll use one channel of the AVR.

Well ... there is the possibility to connect the pin of one RCA to pin 3 and feed the AVR both channels. One channel then is in opposite polarity so you can connect the speaker between the +(red) plug of both speaker outputs (bridge mode, gives more power). However for an old AVR the load may be too high, so better not.

EV/AV

You should leave pin3 disconnected. I'm not sure though what you mean with single speaker. If you really have only one speaker one RCA cable is sufficient as you'll use one channel of the AVR.

Well ... there is the possibility to connect the pin of one RCA to pin 3 and feed the AVR both channels. One channel then is in opposite polarity so you can connect the speaker between the +(red) plug of both speaker outputs (bridge mode, gives more power). However for an old AVR the load may be too high, so better not.
Thanks.

Should have clarified further; have a 5.1.4 system run by an Yamaha RX-A2050. Just got an HTP-1 and Buckeye 8 channel amp (NC252MP) for a future dedicated room. Temporarily need a source of power for the 9th speaker (chose the R back surround) before buying a second amp once the new room is complete with more speakers, so was going to connect a balanced XLR channel (no unbalanced on HTP-1) to the analog audio in on the RX2050. But I think you're right, since I only have the one speaker remaining, can I just use a standard XLR to single RCA male cable to either of a L or R analog audio input? Will give that a try...

Not sure if it would be better to have both back surrounds from the RX2050 so they match, but adding more speakers seems complicated, may need to use Zone 2 since the RX-A2050 does not have multichannel inputs.

EV/AV

Thanks.

Should have clarified further; have a 5.1.4 system run by an Yamaha RX-A2050. Just got an HTP-1 and Buckeye 8 channel amp (NC252MP) for a future dedicated room. Temporarily need a source of power for the 9th speaker (chose the R back surround) before buying a second amp once the new room is complete with more speakers, so was going to connect a balanced XLR channel (no unbalanced on HTP-1) to the analog audio in on the RX2050. But I think you're right, since I only have the one speaker remaining, can I just use a standard XLR to single RCA male cable to either of a L or R analog audio input? Will give that a try...

Not sure if it would be better to have both back surrounds from the RX2050 so they match, but adding more speakers seems complicated, may need to use Zone 2 since the RX-A2050 does not have multichannel inputs.
Just connecting the monoprice XLR to single RCA into the red video aux input on the RXA2050 worked. Was overthinking the two analog inputs and considering adding additional surrounds, but this gets me back to full 5.1.4. Did have to adjust the RXA2050 volume to "0" to match the other surround.

Top Bottom