• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to XLR to convert or not

machinejump

Going to be adding a MiniDSP into the middle of my chain which is currently CXN -> Genelec 8040s via XLR outs.

It's looking like my options are between the Flex Balanced, 2x4 HD (with RCA to XLR adaptors). I know the sonically better option is the Flex Balanced but at more than double the price of the 2x4 I cant help but wonder if it is worth saving some dollars especially considering the overall sound quality will get cleaned up.

Looking for opinions from people smarter than myself on this. Thanks in advance!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Potential consequences of the RCA / conversion approach.

1 - Ground loop noise. Particularly risky with powered/active monitor speakers, and the associated lengthy analogue interconnect. (I would not do it for this reason alone)
2 - Lower ouput voltage to the speakers. Do they have enough gain to compensate?

Top Bottom