• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need a AMP and/or DAC for my Sennheiser 660s HD

shaky

I recently purchased my 660s HD and I am not an audiophile to put it simply so im wondering if any specific AMP and if needed as well DAC would improve my experience by increasing audio quality in any shape or form because at this time I just have my headphones plugged directly into my computer. I use my headphones for all of my tasks on my computer which mainly include music gaming and video/voice chats.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
An amp will just go louder. If you're getting noise (hiss or "digital computer whine") an external DAC should help.

mrbungle

The HD660 is not hard to drive and the DAC in your computer might be more than good enough. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of over engineered audiophile toys, the new Topping Dx3pro+ is pretty much everything you’ll ever need in a single $200 box. Same price gets you stacks from JDS labs (Atom) or Schiit (Magni/Modi). The entry level Topping E30/L30 stack is a bit more expensive at $300. Hidizs S9pro is an impressive little DAC/Amp dongle for $110. If you eventually want to ditch your USB mic for an XLR one, the $180 MOTU M2 is a great audio interface with decent DAC and amp.

Top Bottom