• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Fancy Audio Cables Make a Difference? (video)

57gold

Higher capacitance = rolled off highs in any cable. With low level signals like those produced by magnetic guitar pickups, high frequencies are rolled off by high capacitance cables like Jimi used to tame the highs of his Strats, Fuzz Faced into a cranked 100 watt Marshall plexi, which are very bright and percussive (Duane used to roll the Treble to 1 on his plexis for the same reason).

Who knows what audiophile cable manufacturers like Transparent design to for $27,000 balanced interconnects???

https://www.transparentcable.com/products/magnum-opus-balanced-interconnect

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Higher capacitance = rolled off highs in any cable. With low level signals like those produced by magnetic guitar pickups, high frequencies are rolled off by high capacitance cables like Jimi used to tame the highs of his Strats, Fuzz Faced into a cranked 100 watt Marshall plexi, which are very bright and percussive (Duane used to roll the Treble to 1 on his plexis for the same reason).

Who knows what audiophile cable manufacturers like Transparent design to for $27,000 balanced interconnects???

Or why you would need someone to "design" cables especially someone like "Transparent". LOL.

Nango

Major Contributor

It is not €27k but 37k says this web..

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Higher capacitance = rolled off highs in any cable.
Yes higher total end-to-end capacitance can impact frequency response in guitar cables, other musical instrument cables, phono cartridge to pre-amp cables, some mic cables and some vacuum tube interconnects.
BUT with modern interconnect systems high total capacitance will have ZERO impact on frequency response. (in a reasonable system)

roog

Forum Donor
Jimmy Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan both liked cheap coiled cables for their added resistance and capacitance to take the edge off their Strats,

Yes, I read this, coiled cables have small cross sectional area conductors and the coiling means that the cable has to be very long to get a usable length when 'at-ease' so to speak.

As many have said on this very forum, cables do make a difference, if you don't have any, you get no sound and if you use cables which are not suitable for the purpose, they will impact the sound, but in my experience the later rarely applies for short HiFi interconnects!

roog

Forum Donor
Companies building interconnects target transparency. Companies building guitar cables have other targets, as electric guitars are not full range instruments. Some people like high frequency "sparkle" and "chime." Others do not.

In the guitar cable market, many cables have at least some color. There are actually companies that market transparency, such as George L.

In my experience the number one requirement from guitarists is a robust cable that can tolerate a bit of stick without failing.

roog

Forum Donor
How is this stuff different than other contact "enhancers"? I had some CAIG stuff and then Walker Audio SST (silver paste), neither were very expensive.

But the SST now has quantum and nano in the description and is priced accordingly.

https://walkeraudio.com/product/quantum-silver-treatment-for-contacts/

I amazes me that given the many safety critical systems, involving 100's of millions of pounds, that I have been involved with during my career this essential wonder product has not been mentioned once! How can this be, the world of professional electrical and electronics engineers don't know about this essential product? Its madness I tell you.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I amazes me that given the many safety critical systems, involving 100's of millions of pounds, that I have been involved with during my career this essential wonder product has not been mentioned once! How can this be, the world of professional electrical and electronics engineers don't know about this essential product? Its madness I tell you.
We can't talk about Quantum Purifiers, either. I'm taking a chance just mentioning it :oops:

Top Bottom