• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference (video)?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, you look really good on video. Those years of corporate presentations paid off;
Thanks. They have indeed. We are definitely reaching into new audience with videos. I am a super avid youtube watcher. I watch 2+ hours every night in bed, often researching something or a cooking show or something. So good to be contributing back.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for the continuous efforts in spreading the knowledge @amirm !
A suggestion based on my own experience in making videos featuring the os desktop:

The shrunken desktop view (and the smaller cursor/text/image) can create some friction for the viewer when they're trying to follow your actions / words on screen AND process cognitively the collective video information. You (being the creator) intuitively know where your eyes are supposed to focus on in the video, the viewer doesn't and can take a second to figure out where they're suppose to look at next. This is where visual aids like pointers are important to make things immediately obvious. When there's a clear/large visual change happening in a part of the video, viewers will then know instinctively to look at that section.

Because you're doing this 'realtime', you can help lead the audience's eye better with a larger sized cursor, simulating a click with 'ripple rings', or use the Windows magnifier (lens mode) to increase the size ratio of the desktop (occupies larger percentage of video / better clarity). The caveat is some experimentation is needed to work it smoothly into your routine (adding magnifier function to taskbar / customized one button hotkey etc).

Last edited:

aHaidc

Thank Amir, but the video format for the test is not my taste... 36min... I haven't the time...

Usually i read your review and graph in 2min...
I think the same way. The video should be shorter with information focus on what people should know.
Or the long video can be same as some other reviews such as. 00:00 Introduction. What is network swiches? 05:00 Why are they the same/difference? 11:30 conclusion... and so on. People who already knew the other parts can skip to the one they want to know about.

magicscreen

Not if use digital USB output with common hardware as I suggested...

ale
I measured it. UAPP/Neutron->USB+OTG->DAC->PC->Audacity. 1kHz sine wave, and the result is different level. The player is doing something with the bits.

respice finem

Major Contributor
You think any subjectivist YouTubers would agree to a few “debates” on controversial topics?...
Even if they would, it would probably not make much sense, because knowledge and belief are two worlds. One cannot prove what the other one "hears" or doesn't, not his ears, but his brain. There's a German saying "tell him he's right until the doc arrives" :D

Last edited:

ksaugrin

Forum Donor
I am using a noise gate which is doing that. I will optimize it more. Without it, it picks up background noise.
I knew it ^^

And AVB isn't the only Pro standard used in the industry. I personally use Dante everyday at work and it doesn't require any special hardware switch to pass PTPv1 and v2 (for AES67) for clocking.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Because you're doing this 'realtime', you can help lead the audience's eye better with a larger sized cursor, simulating a click with 'ripple rings', or use the Windows magnifier (lens mode) to increase the size ratio of the desktop (occupies larger percentage of video / better clarity).
I noticed that and enlarged the cursor in the latest video I just post on high-end cables:

Let me know if it is visible enough.

Geert

Major Contributor
On 6:53 you say the generic cable has more noise. Shouldn't that be the Audioquest cable?

LoyK

I created a reply video to that where I downloaded the audio track and in audacity reordered the tracks and made them available for blinded testing. Funny how all the supposition went away when they didn't know what was playing.

Cool, can you link to that response video?

The Capstan

I measured it. UAPP/Neutron->USB+OTG->DAC->PC->Audacity. 1kHz sine wave, and the result is different level. The player is doing something with the bits.
Well. In this case should not be bit perfect by definition, isn’t it?
I don’t know UAPP nor Neutron, however these are both app for Android, so are you sure the OS is not playing some role in managing the bits to the USB output?
My initial scope for the suggested test was more for the “linux-based” players.

Ale.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I agree with the other positive comments Amir. This format is excellent. It will undoubtedly evolve a bit, but it already works well; your presence and natural cadence don't need any refinement or editing. I've watched both videos a few times now, and everything seems really solid. If you keep doing what you have done in these videos, it should work brilliantly.

I like your space, lighting, angles, and background too. It makes you look good, and the room and gear convey a sense of aesthetic appreciation with a refined touch of 'Mr. Carlson's Lab.' I could elaborate on the other stuff, but I would mostly be repeating what's been said already.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
AVB switches need special HW to handle the gPTP packages which actually could help with jitter, but you need your whole system aware of and run on AVB, not just by using the fancy network switch.
And AVB isn't the only Pro standard used in the industry. I personally use Dante everyday at work and it doesn't require any special hardware switch to pass PTPv1 and v2 (for AES67) for clocking.
It wasn't a great description of why AVB needs unusual hardware - it's using standards that have been around for some time but aren't widely implemented, like the hardware timestamping of the packets using a synchronized clock. These allow it to set up guaranteed bandwidth and latency between endpoints negotiated with the switches along the route. For small audio systems this is overkill, but AVB also targets large installations including video, and now industrial control data where correct operation may be more critical. Dante and AES67 rely on more basic, and more widely implemented, QoS policies to prioritize the audio data. This is usually sufficient for reliable operation, but doesn't have the guarantees. This QoS policy won't be on the very bottom end switches, but you can find it 1 or 2 rungs up. You need to spend a lot more for one that can handle AVB.

Incidentally the hardware timestamping is why you can do AVB on a BeagleBone Black, but not a Raspberry Pi, and on most Macs but not most PCs.

ta240

Major Contributor
There has been none and I don't intend on deleting anything.

that is interesting. I figured it would be boiling over already with people arguing the other side or at least feeling sorry for you because you can't hear the difference ;)

ta240

Major Contributor
You think any subjectivist YouTubers would agree to a few “debates” on controversial topics? .....

Considering the "put a doorstop on your DAC" guy got livid, rude and aggressive with the people that just asked in the comments if he tried having someone switch between doorstop and no doorstop while he wasn't looking to see if he could hear the difference, I don't think most want to talk about it with the other side.

zman01

Good work Amir, nicely done. Thanks for publishing, and look forward to more videos.

Top Bottom