• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference (video)?

D

Deleted member 24907

Nice video, really liking these!

These guys try to compare some switches:

Can you hear a difference? I like this kind of approach.
You could also record the DAC output and compare/analyse the recorded files. Would that be interesting or a flawed test?
Thes guys here differences and think that it might have to do with something called common mode noise which does or does not enter the streamer. They will do measurements on this later on. For now, I think their advice is that we buy the expensive equipment.

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
Thes guys here differences and think that it might have to do with something called common mode noise which does or does not enter the streamer. They will do measurements on this later on. For now, I think their advice is that we buy the expensive equipment.

Good old Jaap is doing a great job in the Netherlands providing us with information about new audio equipment. To my opinion he has the best audio information source in the Netherlands. Still not to ignore, and I have a feeling he will not deny, his work needs to be suported by sponsors. He cannot pay for it by himself. Just keep that in mind taking their advice.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You aren't kidding. Only select Cisco switches support AVB. Did a VRF Catalyst 9K pair for $32K 18 months ago.
You don't have to go to that extreme though - MOTU and Presonus have entry level switches around the $300 mark, but that's still steep for an unmanaged switch with a few ports. Step up a bit and there are a few using EtherCON. The keen DIYer could even try one of Microchip's eval boards.

Edit: Wrong eval board - I don't think that one's AVB capable. I was looking for one for the KSZ9567 and didn't check the search result closely enough.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't have to go to that extreme though - MOTU and Presonus have entry level switches around the $300 mark, but that's still steep for an unmanaged switch with a few ports. Step up a bit and there are a few using EtherCON. The keen DIYer could even try one of Microchip's eval boards.

That's awesome... This is about as close to an Audiophile switch for consumers as you can get ;-)

rfb99

This is a video summary of two tests/reviews I have done in the past on audiophile Ethernet switches. It is more more of a tutorial of the technology than what was covered in the text reviews. It is a bit long at 35 minutes so feel free to speed it up (click on the gear icon in YouTube and select the faster speed).

Hopefully it can become a reference every time this topic comes up.

Terrific, I'm a computer guy so to me this is shooting fish in a barrel. I would point out that ethernet cabling uses balanced transmission comprised of precisely twisted pairs to eliminate noise radiation and susceptibility.

threni

Major Contributor
Terrific, I'm a computer guy so to me this is shooting fish in a barrel. I would point out that ethernet cabling uses balanced transmission comprised of precisely twisted pairs to eliminate noise radiation and susceptibility.

Heh. "We don't know what we don't know". Well, I know what he doesn't know, that's for sure.

Stokdoof

Forum Donor

Hans used to do the same thing as Amir in the past doing measurements on audio equipment using his AP, but I think , not sure, some lawyers got to him and he suddenly stopped being critical. His blog became silent suddenly. Now he still has to make a living and does it his way I guess.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hans used to do the same thing as Amir in the past doing measurements on audio equipment using his AP, but I think , not sure, some lawyers got to him and he suddenly stopped being critical. His blog became silent suddenly. Now he still has to make a living and does it his way I guess.

Going 6 years back I've yet to find any video where he's using his AP.

samwell7

Watching now, great video @amirm - it's very refreshing to watch an audio-related video on YouTube where the presenter comes across in a calm, professional manner.

For some reason most popular audio YT reviews/videos seem to have a presenter who is far too excited, guessing they're trying to generate some extra energy.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the title should read: Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference

I first thought this video was about line-level/speaker switches...

Yes because as soon as I see a piece of gear described as "audiophile" it's automatically suspect :) (just based on the misuse of the word to start). And with any switch would do that.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

ctakim

Forum Donor
Nice work on the video . I can see it now, 2 million views and the cash rolling in and all of your bills being paid off and a new lambo in the driveway. With all kidding aside for people who don't understand the reviews when in the written format this I think may help them better understand some of the things they read down the road. It's almost or is like Online school free of charge and I think our community will be a place for it.

Keep up the great work . This site Rocks.
I totally agree. The great thing about these videos, besides Amir's great screen presence, is the educational aspect. Having him explain how he interprets the various graphs and test outputs is incredibly valuable. What is also amazing is that these are a lot of work to generate and Amir has been quite prolific in his output in a very short period of time.

HighImpactAV

You aren't kidding. Only select Cisco switches support AVB. Did a VRF Catalyst 9K pair for $32K 18 months ago.
Here is a a List of AVB-capable Ethernet switches. The MOTU is the cheapest at $395. I've used it in the past and currently have a Luminex GigaCore 10. I use a StormAudio ISP output via AVB to an RME M-32 Pro DA and an RME AVB Tool.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Haven't gone through the nine pages of posts yet (will do). Has anyone posted the video on the Computer Audio BS site yet? Their heads will be on fire. :p

Russ

Top Bottom