• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference (video)?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Now, step 2, I encourage you to perform a similar test with music streamers based on (supposedly common) linux MPD, such as:
- Daphile*
- Volumio
- Picore
- gentoo
- Ropieee
- moode
Half of those don't use MPD - not that that should make a difference to the result.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Good question. Probably a switch can be optimized, e.g. for an ambitioned digital workstation environment, but for a "normal" home user setup, there will be other far more serious issues to be addressed. The user's "last" switch won't help much against all possible garbage that may have infiltrated the signal before it, on its way from the NAS / content provider. It would then be a bit like putting an expensive "high end" power cord before your gear (yeah I know...) ignoring the preceding 200 miles of God knows what to the power plant. ;)
If I had a choice, I'd prefer the manufacturers would optimize HDMI, so we can at last have AV receivers on par with a good stereo amp.

Last edited:

The Capstan

Half of those don't use MPD - not that that should make a difference to the result.
ok, that’s possible and thanyou for pointing out, although I would like to see source code in deep guts ;-) but this is not so important as you say...

ale

The Capstan

That is a difficult test because usually every "so called bitperfect" player has different output levels. Easy to think it sounds different because of that.
By the way it is wonderful, only 0 and 1 bits and somehow the volume is different, isn't it? *irony*
Not if use digital USB output with common hardware as I suggested...

ale

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
ok, that’s possible and thanyou for pointing out, although I would like to see source code in deep guts ;-) but this is not so important as you say...
Daphile and piCorePlayer use the LogitechMediaServer/squeezelite ecosystem rather than MPD. Ropieee is primarily a Roon client and uses their binary, although the XL version has more options. I don't have Roon so haven't looked too closely. I assume you mean GentooPlayer rather than general gentoo - I haven't looked at that in detail, but wouldn't be surprised if it used MPD. My LogitechMediaServer instance has been running on a gentoo-based machine for years, and daphile appears to have been built using gentoo too (beta versions have sshd enabled). Poking the guts is always to be encouraged :)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice video, really liking these!

These guys try to compare some switches:

Can you hear a difference? I like this kind of approach.
You could also record the DAC output and compare/analyse the recorded files. Would that be interesting or a flawed test?

I created a reply video to that where I downloaded the audio track and in audacity reordered the tracks and made them available for blinded testing. Funny how all the supposition went away when they didn't know what was playing.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
comments are pretty funny - I'd expected audiophool munchkins to post a lot of sub-scientific gibberish, but instead we see people making fun of that

Haskil

Forum Donor
Merci Amir !

The Capstan

Daphile and piCorePlayer use the LogitechMediaServer/squeezelite ecosystem rather than MPD. Ropieee is primarily a Roon client and uses their binary, although the XL version has more options. I don't have Roon so haven't looked too closely. I assume you mean GentooPlayer rather than general gentoo - I haven't looked at that in detail, but wouldn't be surprised if it used MPD. My LogitechMediaServer instance has been running on a gentoo-based machine for years, and daphile appears to have been built using gentoo too (beta versions have sshd enabled). Poking the guts is always to be encouraged :)

Guts exposed, thanks. Now it’s time for the surgery...
my use of MPD term was not appropriate, sorry, however testing the different “open source” (is it more correct?) streamers could be interesting. As per your “dissection” of typologies, the scientific test could expose the nuances, if any, between different “families”, that could be even more interesting...

ale.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a video summary of two tests/reviews I have done in the past on audiophile Ethernet switches. It is more more of a tutorial of the technology than what was covered in the text reviews. It is a bit long at 35 minutes so feel free to speed it up (click on the gear icon in YouTube and select the faster speed).

Hopefully it can become a reference every time this topic comes up.
Good stuff. The same applies to ethernet cables, as long as they are competently designed and manufactured, yet we get the same nonsense that too many audiophools buy into (literally).

For those who don't know, Archimago has been looking at this for some time now <https://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=ethernet>. Worth a read for anyone who believes in science and measurement.

respice finem

Major Contributor
The two general problems IMHO are:
  1. Inventing marketing BS is simpler and cheaper than inventing and properly executing anything that would promise real benefit against what is already there.
  2. Many (if not most) people buing things aren't aware that they're often being, erm... mislead by manufacturers/sellers.
That's why sites like ASR are so important. What is so far unique to me (@Amir): I've never before seen a company owner being soverein enough to criticize stuff sold by his own company. Big Kudos for this.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Thank Amir, but the video format for the test is not my taste... 36min... I haven't the time...

Usually i read your review and graph in 2min...

The videos are an added bonus for anyone who wants a more detailed technical explanation of what's in the reviews. I think it's rather generous of Amir to take the extra time to do this. If you listen you might learn something. I wish these resources were available 40 years ago.

Many years ago, before the internet existed, I actually volunteered to work at a radio station, just to be able to work with a station engineer who was patient enough to stop and explain details and draw circuits and formulas on scrap paper about audio and broadcasting. I learned more there than I ever did from books.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That‘s interesting, well done Amir!
I think every person with reasonable knowledge would have been suprised in getting different results!

Now, step 2, I encourage you to perform a similar test with music streamers based on (supposedly common) linux MPD, such as:
- Daphile*
- Volumio
- Picore
- gentoo
- Ropieee
- moode
etc...
do you think an objective test of this type using same USB DAC at the output will be possible?

That’s because when I catch conversations like ” solution A is more musical than B”, that reminds me the outcome of your latest test...
Thoughts?

thanks
Alessandro

* hardware configuration may play a role for X86 based solutions to be considered Vs Rpi based streamers.

That would be some debunking , but maybe there are other things lets whats next video is .

I'm personally uses RaspI with pCP to my main Meridian Hifi and also used Squeezebox SB3 ,Squeezebox Touch my My Meridian G98DH DVDA player my Pioneer BLue ray and on material they all can play like CD rips they all are the same to me

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't you have just written, "No!" and called it a day? ;)

Top Bottom