• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do aluminium Genelecs have a particular "house sound"...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even so, recording loudspeakers is not an easy task because you need a lot of experience how to do it.

1. The microphones used may differ more than +-10 dB 20-20000 Hz. This gonna colour the sound and its very audible. Are your microphones of a very high quality and do they have a frequency response +-1 dB in the audible area ?

2. The microphones should be nearer the loudspeaker than the critical distance in the room - ie less than 1 metre. And yes - you can only record one loudspeaker , because otherwise you gonna have comb effects. In this youtube video - the recording is done in the wrong way and are therefore of no value at all. Its wortheless.

3. Putting the microphones at listening position gives very false results - what you really are recording is only the room response - not the loudspeakers direct sound because you are way outside of the critical distance. This gives results of no value. A lot of recording amateurs dont know anything about this.
After 5 ms soundtravel and more, ( 1,7 metres distance and longer ) the ear/brain starts to select sounds and the mic take up all sound. You cant trust measurements in this case because of the precedence effect. The mic and brain are VERY different.

Read more about critical distance here :

I’m not saying it’s a perfect system, just better than most crap out there.

Btw typical domestic rooms don’t have a reveberant field or a critical distance in the academic sense. They’re too small to form a reverb field.

Sure the response will always be better closer to the speaker but there will never be a portion of the room where loudness is equal in that portion (beyond the critical distance).

Bamboszek

Literally all Neumanns above the KH80 are aluminum, the KH80 isn't most likely due to cost cutting and that's it. Not that I think the polycarbonate cabinet is bad or anything. The cabinet material doesn't have anything to do with the sound.
Actually KH120 are only cast aluminium speakers from Neumann. KH80 is polycarbonate, KH310 and KH420 have polyurethane front panel and wooden cabinets, subs are wooden. Only back panels are aluminium.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually KH120 are only cast aluminium speakers from Neumann. KH80 is polycarbonate, KH310 and KH420 have polyurethane front panel and wooden cabinets, subs are wooden. Only back panels are aluminium.
You're right, forgot about that. Same deal though. If there was some kind of consistent material-based sound, Neumann wouldn't use a bunch of different ones. The material doesn't really matter(except to the designer/manufacturer).

OP
D

Digby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Inert doesn’t make a speaker lean… but for that matter all of the genelecs are equalized to produce nearly flat on axis response. Any differences due to materials would come out after equalizing anyway. Which is also not to say they don’t have any difference at all.
Differences from resonance (port or cabinet) wouldn't be removed by EQing though, would it? You may reproduce the same curve, but the sound would still be different if a part of one speaker is ringing (resonance) and another is not, wouldn't it? The same could be said of differing off axis response, directivity and other factors. These things cannot be EQ'd out/in.

And that's why we invented measurements.
Right and I bet the measurements show a difference, if we know where to look. A flat EQ (±3db) could be mostly -3db from ideal or mostly +3db and still be considered flat. These are potential differences of 6db, yet it is still considered flat. These differences are not inaudible. This is just one factor of speaker reproduction.

I'm inviting forum members to use a little imagination, it doesn't always have to be a teeth pulling exercise (too many here seem to enjoy arguing about arguing, rather than arguing about whether there is any validity to what someone has noticed). Doesn't all science begin with an idea/feeling. Let's try and be inquisitive.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
I don't know, but my experience with the 2 way 80 series Genelecs is they sound all kinds of "too good". They're very tricky speakers to mix on compared to my Neumanns or *ducks and covers* the ATCs I've used. Things sound done before they are.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could only tell them apart once I uncovered my screen.
The difference is programme dependant but is most obvious, and sometimes very obvious to me, when the switch over takes place.
I didn't expect the difference to be as big as it was.

Pearljam5000

Major Contributor
Genelecs sound cleaner and clearer, Neumanns probably are more mids/bass heavy

OP
D

Digby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think "clean and clear" is a matter of taste. The Neumanns sound more natural to my taste with the Gens having a lack in mid bass (low bass seems about the same) an excess to the highs and a certain diffuse quality to the soundfield.

BTW, is anyone else noticing a difference in the apparent reverb of the two speakers? Music seems to start and stop faster with the Neumann, while the airy quality of the Genelec sounds as if it has a longer reverb/decay time (as though recorded in a livelier room). Check the vocals of the Jazzy track starting 2:30 for a good example of what I mean.

Top Bottom