• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY magnetic floating stands on spikes

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One cat, one energetic Jack Russell.
My neighbor had a Jack Russell and the other neighbor would let it in his house and within minutes it caught a mouse. Very good mousers.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I love Jack Russells, they are an awesome little beast. :)

Awesome escape artists, too.
uhmmmm - Copy.gif

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
On a dished base they are more stable than you'd think they would be.

The cat or the speaker? ;)

I can see that they would be quite stable, but I like blu-tack- it means the speaker will take the stand with it if they go over. Oh, don't even think about it Julio (my cat).

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while now, funds and time have prevailed recently, so I bit...

Hopefully you can see from the photo the construction of the stand, it's very simple, and you can get all the parts from eBay for around £100 £50 for both stands (£50 £25 each). Only real DIY bit I needed to do was drill the plywood, so as long as you're ok with measuring and drilling reasonably straight, this should be a doddle :)

It has resulted in a clearer low end and overall image. Unfortunately I do not have the facility to scientifically measure the before and after, so my apologies if you're expecting any graphs!

View attachment 46957

What is this then, three magnets on a spindle giving you some vertical movement?

My understanding is that the sort of vibrations that you want to protect you speaker from acts in all directions, not just vertical. My education in these matters comes mostly from here:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

Many of these commercial anti vibration products seems over priced, maybe over engineered. I've got Symposium stuff - their feet are based on ball bearings. Townshend also make them using springs. I've tried both and they behave in a similar way.

The improvements gained are subtle and can't be measured at home (as far as I can see). They are described as 'less smeared transients' and I'm happy with that explanation. Naysayers will say without measurements or double blind tests I can't prove anything and they're right!

gene_stl

Forum Donor
When you build a DIY vibration control system from audiophile articles you never (ever!) know what you are actually getting. There are six degrees of motional freedom that need precision measuring. This is never done. Even when they have impressive images of expensive audiophile gear with the most modern and expensive design. Your link above says that the "improvements" gained by vibration control are swamped by having the leads dressed improperly. This pretty much convicts it, of being a snake oil provider, of the first rank (jmnsho).

As the luck of my career would have it I had a lot of experience with vibration control on analytical micro and ultramicro balances as well as tissue culture(wet) photomicroscopy located on the ninth floor of a building which literally had train tracks running through the basement as well as five old elevator systems and a very large laundry plant in the basement. The problem is more complex than can be solved with a couple of Sorbothane hemis.

The products seem overpriced because they ARE overpriced. Unfortunately they are not overengineered. Most are not engineered at all. Just audiophile BS. An expensive present for the adoring audiophile to buy for his "system".

Last edited:

NoDad

This may not be directly related, but it's something I have wondered about. People buy spikes for their speakers to couple them to the floor, but then they put the spike on a coin or a specifically made metal dish (like the ones sold here - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dss2-bc-black-chrome-speaker-spike-set-4-pcs--240-660 ) . I understand people don't want to scratch their floor.

My question is, doesn't putting the spike on a larger surface (not coupled as strongly to the floor) eliminate the advantage of the spike? I mean the point of spike is no longer coupled to the floor, it's coupled to the coin (or dish), which, if I recall my high school physics correctly, spreads the weight over a larger area. Is that any different than replacing the spike and the coin by a cylinder the diameter of the coin resting directly on the floor?

Hipper

When you build a DIY vibration control system from audiophile articles you never (ever!) know what you are actually getting. There are six degrees of motional freedom that need precision measuring. This is never done. Even when they have impressive images of expensive audiophile gear with the most modern and expensive design. Your link above says that the "improvements" gained by vibration control are swamped by having the leads dressed improperly. This pretty much convicts it, of being a snake oil provider, of the first rank (jmnsho).

As the luck of my career would have it I had a lot of experience with vibration control on analytical micro and ultramicro balances as well as tissue culture(wet) photomicroscopy located on the ninth floor of a building which literally had train tracks running through the basement as well as five old elevator systems and a very large laundry plant in the basement. The problem is more complex than can be solved with a couple of Sorbothane hemis.

The products seem overpriced because they ARE overpriced. Unfortunately they are not overengineered. Most are not engineered at all. Just audiophile BS. An expensive present for the adoring audiophile to buy for his "system".

The thing is he is not a 'snake oil provider'. He's not selling anything, just offering his ideas based on his experience.

I like some of his ideas, namely room positioning and vibration control. The latter doesn't, for me, deliver obvious benefits, just very subtle ones.

Do you consider siesmic vibrations to be an issue for Hi-Fi and if so, what do you suggest as solutions?

Hipper

This may not be directly related, but it's something I have wondered about. People buy spikes for their speakers to couple them to the floor, but then they put the spike on a coin or a specifically made metal dish (like the ones sold here - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dss2-bc-black-chrome-speaker-spike-set-4-pcs--240-660 ) . I understand people don't want to scratch their floor.

My question is, doesn't putting the spike on a larger surface (not coupled as strongly to the floor) eliminate the advantage of the spike? I mean the point of spike is no longer coupled to the floor, it's coupled to the coin (or dish), which, if I recall my high school physics correctly, spreads the weight over a larger area. Is that any different than replacing the spike and the coin by a cylinder the diameter of the coin resting directly on the floor?

It's about the theory of how a spike works. Here's one view with some measurements:

https://hifichicken.com/speaker-spikes-tested

gene_stl

Forum Donor
These are all ridiculous decorations. I have to admit that I am immediately suspicious of anything audio that uses the word Zen in it.
If I were going to set out to measure vibrations I think I would not be using an iphone for the purpose.

If you want to "seismically isolate" vibrations you need something like this:
Kinetic Systems vibration isolation platform.
I have a KSI platform (which I obtained for high mag photography) and there is an overpriced audio store that offers them for like double or triple the price of KSI. Because of the absurdity of audio prices these expensive laboratory appliances actually look pretty good for the audiophile and represent better values than things that are meant to show off a nicely finished piece of rare wood which is utterly wasted.

In the past I have used several pieces from this company, who have a nice tutorial page. If you don't know what frequencies you are attempting to isolate you don't know what you are doing.

The only thing that needs seismic isolation is an LP turntable set up. Vacuum tubes, maybe, but using vacuum tubes is stupid for many other reasons too.
Cables don't need to be on trestles and digital gear is not microphonic.
Spikes are audiophool bullshit! Entry level, "affordable" , audio bling, gateway drug. They don't do anything. Most people who design , manufacture , sell , buy and use them have no notion whatsoever about kinematics.
Press red snake oil alarm button!

Another scientific isolation company but one that has plugged into audiophool nonsense.

Last edited:

NoDad

It's about the theory of how a spike works. Here's one view with some measurements:

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the test they did, it doesn't mention whether they used the floor protecting discs or not. I don't doubt the spikes work if they are set directly on the floor. What I am questioning is putting the spikes on a floor disc which is just sitting on top of the floor. Everywhere I look they talk about the advantage of the spike and concentrating the weight in a very small area. To me it seems the disc is cancelling the pointed spike advantage because now you the concentration of the weight on the disc. Which then spreads the weight/force pressing on the floor.

Top Bottom