• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY magnetic floating stands on spikes

nicalexx

This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while now, funds and time have prevailed recently, so I bit...

Hopefully you can see from the photo the construction of the stand, it's very simple, and you can get all the parts from eBay for around £100 £50 for both stands (£50 £25 each). Only real DIY bit I needed to do was drill the plywood, so as long as you're ok with measuring and drilling reasonably straight, this should be a doddle :)

It has resulted in a clearer low end and overall image. Unfortunately I do not have the facility to scientifically measure the before and after, so my apologies if you're expecting any graphs!

Speaker spikes right.jpg

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What kind of a load is it floating there ?

That cost sounds excessive without load context.

OP
nicalexx

nicalexx

So you imagine that sitting your loudspeaker on a wiggly platform will improve the sound?
Fascinating
It’s not wiggling around unless I give it a good nudge. The idea was to decouple it further from my desk.

OP
nicalexx

nicalexx

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nicalexx, I was being facetious with the link. If you like it, great. However, not having the speaker on a stable, rigid base at some level affects its ability to project a solid soundstage and likely bass response as well. It would seem these downsides would outweigh any decoupling benefits. Newton's Law regarding equal and opposite action and all that.

OP
nicalexx

nicalexx

Nicalexx, I was being facetious with the link. If you like it, great. However, not having the speaker on a stable, rigid base at some level affects its ability to project a solid soundstage and likely bass response as well. It would seem these downsides would outweigh any decoupling benefits. Newton's Law regarding equal and opposite action and all that.

Duly noted.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Soft suspension of speakers also works , given that the resonance frequency is low enough of the suspension.

Would be a bit hard to judge the mechanical parameters of this magnetic/air spring ?

Others like sonic design sells/sold soft feet’s you order per your speakers weight

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Neat idea. Decoupling desktop speakers is pretty common -- different situation (and problems) that speakers sitting on a floor. It'd be interesting to see data on the resonances, coupling coefficients, isolation, spring-k equivalency, and a whole host of other things proving (a) I am not a mechanical engineer and (b) I need to get a life... :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
a
The stand is loading a HS50m, which is 5.8kg.

Magnets are N50 neodymium.

Hmm... that's not very heavy but still fairly decent result in terms of floated load. However, I still think that cost bill is excessive. What's the main cost drive in that bill of materials ?

Would certainly like to try my hand at one when I can spare some DIY time.

OP
nicalexx

nicalexx

a

Hmm... that's not very heavy but still fairly decent result in terms of floated load. However, I still think that cost bill is excessive. What's the main cost drive in that bill of materials ?

Would certainly like to try my hand at one when I can spare some DIY time.

I think I may have overestimated my costings and doubled what it actually cost. So, looking at it, it seems more like £25 per stand and the magnets being the highest cost at just under £12 per stand. My apologies for getting carried away with the numbers!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is springs and foam damping would accomplish a similar thing with parameters of spring loading and foam between the springs being adjustable. Another option is to stretch a rubber diaphragm around the spring coils. Something like an old inner tube from a bike tire around springs to provide some flexible frictional damping.

https://engineering.stackexchange.c...-is-the-pvc-tube-or-foam-in-metal-springs-for

One could use these vibration pads easily enough. They come in different sizes for different weights.
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-vibration-damping-mounts

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have always isolated my speakers by floating them on ball bearings. Counter intuitive, but sounds much better than any other method I’ve tried.

View attachment 46986
Are the cups dished on the base? If so they are like designs to mitigate earthquake damage to buildings. They can do a good job isolating from vibration in the horizontal plane, but not so much in the vertical. If shaped appropriately it is a synthetic way to let them move as if they were on a very long pendulum. Typically called friction pendulums. You can add double curved surfaces and a couple other features for double or triple pendulum versions.

https://www.earthquakeprotection.com/single-pendulum

1579836811548.png

1579836823180.png

Last edited:

Milesian

Are the cups dished on the base? If so they are like designs to mitigate earthquake damage to buildings. They can do a good job isolating from vibration in the horizontal plane, but not so much in the vertical. If shaped appropriately it is a synthetic way to let them move as if they were on a very long pendulum. Typically called friction pendulums. You can add double curved surfaces and a couple other features for double or triple pendulum versions.

https://www.earthquakeprotection.com/single-pendulum
Yep. Concave drawer pulls from Lowes, inset into the top plate of the stand.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Have always isolated my speakers by floating them on ball bearings. Counter intuitive, but sounds much better than any other method I’ve tried.

So you don't have children, or cats? ;)

Top Bottom