• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac not available any more?

digicidal

Major Contributor
I thought maybe I was remembering incorrectly that it used to be available as a software package on the miniDSP store (with UMIK-1) but there are still links there... they just don't go anywhere.

Seems like they've moved to exclusively support hardware-enabled licenses - but maybe they're just 'retooling' the site? Although I also saw mention of a deal with Fujitsu PC hardware... so maybe it was viewed as a competitive conflict if they continued to sell software-only implementations for PC/Mac?

Link:
Dirac Research Makes Its PC Market Debut

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
like the old one.
The Dirac Audio Processor (DAP) is a “virtual sound card” that applies Dirac Live® filters to an audio stream. The audio stream is directed to the DAP by the computer’s operating system by setting DAP as the default playback device

read also from 4.4 to 4.4.6 to understand it better.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...+room+correction+suite+-+user+manual+v1.1.pdf
AFAIK, the new one works only as a VST plug-in. You need to use a player that will support such plugins. I've been doing that with DL and JRMC for a long time.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Yes. It appears as though the 'Live' version will only ever be a hardware-associated license... but that's merely conjecture on my part. It certainly looks that way from the changes they've made to their website since I last visited it however.

XpanD

Forum Donor
I would hope not, there's a lot of people with paid licenses for the standalone version. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I for one would like to be able to continue using the software I paid a lot for, and ideally with the updates that we've been getting teasers for for so long.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes. It appears as though the 'Live' version will only ever be a hardware-associated license... but that's merely conjecture on my part. It certainly looks that way from the changes they've made to their website since I last visited it however.
Not so. (1)They have always promised that the PC/Mac-hosted versions will follow the hardware-hosted versions because the latter are where their main market is. (2)Flak announced that the PC/Mac versions are imminent about a week or two ago and even encouraged sign-ups for it.

OP
F

Flyman

AFAIK, the new one works only as a VST plug-in. You need to use a player that will support such plugins. I've been doing that with DL and JRMC for a long time.

Thanks for the reply my friend.

Could please tell mewhat dl and jmrc are!? I make a quick search but i didn't find something.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Not so. (1)They have always promised that the PC/Mac-hosted versions will follow the hardware-hosted versions because the latter are where their main market is. (2)Flak announced that the PC/Mac versions are imminent about a week or two ago and even encouraged sign-ups for it.

That's very good news! I missed that post, but I will expect some patience being required regarding the actual date perhaps. Good to know they are planning on keeping that side alive and I was just reading more into the changes than were reasonable.

OP
F

Flyman

Does the equaLizer apo load the save filter from dirac?!or i must make it on my own?!

Does anyboby know if the equalizer apo fix the delays,timing?!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These softwares lend themselves to @amirm(trained listener) review. Probably less expensive than speakers and headphones. :)
Yes, I did think about testing them all as we were discussing speaker testing.....

XpanD

Forum Donor
Does the equaLizer apo load the save filter from dirac?!or i must make it on my own?!

Does anyboby know if the equalizer apo fix the delays,timing?!

Equalizer APO can load (via the "Include" function) filters exported from REW to correct frequency response. I think it can also do impulses, though I haven't tried that myself. You can apply delays manually via the Delay function, but I'm not sure if there's a way to auto-generate those. It can't load Dirac filters, as those are a proprietary format.

OP
F

Flyman

I will wait for new dirac or maybe to buy the roon!

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
Equalizer APO can load (via the "Include" function) filters exported from REW to correct frequency response. I think it can also do impulses, though I haven't tried that myself. You can apply delays manually via the Delay function, but I'm not sure if there's a way to auto-generate those. It can't load Dirac filters, as those are a proprietary format.

You can in fact load VSTs in Roon, not directly but via an intermediary API via extension.

To whit:

Roon via Squeezeboz API -> squeez2upnp -> foobar2000 (as a VST host with the upnp plugin) -> DAC

OP
F

Flyman

You can in fact load VSTs in Roon, not directly but via an intermediary API via extension.

To whit:

Roon via Squeezeboz API -> squeez2upnp -> foobar2000 (as a VST host with the upnp plugin) -> DAC

To understand it better....Sο you can't load vsts in roon directly?!

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
To understand it better....Sο you can't load vsts in roon directly?!

Well no, sadly you cannot directly load VST in Roon. The idea was to go over SB and use their plugin to connect to foobar which is loading the VST.

OP
F

Flyman

Guys as i know roon can load wav file filter.

In the new version dirac as i know you can change it to wav file.
Does anybody knows about it!?

Also If the new version will work as virtual card then roon will bypass it or not?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom