• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

jtatknox

You sort of proved my point - same car same track same conditions...

But people are trying to compare different tracks under different conditions!

Rooms, speakers, etc... are varying

But yeah, more info please!
I think I get it. ABS is pretty definitively always better, but in certain conditions it's mo' better. I wish my '84 BMW R65 had ABS.

pogo

Major Contributor
At the High-End, there was talk of 2025 (according german visitors).
The delay is not solely due to DM, as other manufacturers will also be affected. Dirac will make some changes.

Last edited:

Frank207be

Disappointing but hopefully they spend that time well. And we're almost halfway 2024 too.

pogo

Major Contributor
100% happening during 2024. 95% by the end of this April (double-checked).
Are there any further details about 2025 from your source?

Aaronb1138

At the High-End, there was talk of 2025 (according german visitors).
The delay is not solely due to DM, as other manufacturers will also be affected. Dirac will make some changes.
I hope they consider a semi-private / semi-open early beta for people willing to pay, but receive less (no?) support and configuration assistance.

If the issue really is about making it more "consumer friendly" as TJCinnamon relayed, then perhaps widen the bleeding edge pool to those willing to put blood in the game.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I hope they consider a semi-private / semi-open early beta for people willing to pay, but receive less (no?) support and configuration assistance.

If the issue really is about making it more "consumer friendly" as TJCinnamon relayed, then perhaps widen the bleeding edge pool to those willing to put blood in the game.
So far the only Beta program(s) I have heard of have been for D&M, and Storm...

Widening that pool, and including NAD, Onkyo (& co), Monoprice, etc... would truly test whether the core product has what it takes across multiple manufacturers and their platforms.

People from forums like this one are both the customers for this product, and often the ones with the technical capabilities ( & understanding! ) to live with technical flaws, and the patience to tease them out... and work through a resolution process.

Oddball

If they are trying to implement ART on all platforms they are currently supporting with DLBC, and with all relevant models, might take a while unfortunately. After all, Dirac has quite limited resources and this is a pretty big task. Obviously they could tap into the enthusiast network for help...they are eagerly awaiting :D

Oddball

I think most people that are so eagerly waiting for ART already have their systems set up pretty tight and are greatly enjoying them with their current bass management. I know I do :p.

The whole hype around ART started way to early and by now people are expecting so much that a lot of critical listeners with good Audy/REW/MSO setups might be disappointed at the end. My experience with ART was with the dealer setup and given all the hi-end gear involved (Perlisten speakers etc.), it was still making me wonder if that bass is actually the bass I would want. Extremely tight but not nearly as powerful as I am used to. I could use some lower decay below 45hz, true, but not sure I want to give up a big slice of SPL for that. Have no idea how they have set-up their Storm 16 ART system so the experience is pretty much irrelevant - they were clear that they would not want me to mess with their calibration, nor I would know how to do it without spending 100 hours in their shop.

Definitively agree that roadmap would be helpful, but then if they can't stand behind it, better to keep it loose. I do think that D&M will try to pull their muscle and get this done in 2024, but at the end it all depends on Dirac.

In the meantime, instead of obsessing over ART, I am trying to enjoy the worthy contend in my great HT that is occasionally available in the streaming world. Finally watching Masters of Air and yeah, could do that all day long as CA says :) Unfortunately have to split it episode by episode by day (if lucky).

Frank207be

Here the Denon A1H with DLBC plays at least 2 hours/day and in the weekends even more. Very convincing Atmos and powerful bass down to 12-13Hz with my subs. But at the MLP decay times around room modes could be significantly shorter so ART indeed is eagerly awaited.

With ART you'll also be able to create your personal house curve, isn't it? And SPL can be bought or built ;)

Roadmaps don't need to very detailed and exactly dated. If they promised April 2024 like we heard on forums, then Dirac and D+M would be in trouble. But why can't they tell they found problems which they're solving now so we don't have to guess or rely on hearsay?

pogo

Major Contributor
a lot of critical listeners with good Audy/REW/MSO setups might be disappointed at the end.
That is definitely not going to happen. An MSO also has little to do with co-optimization, which currently also goes up to 150Hz and later even higher.

Oddball

That is definitely not going to happen. An MSO also has little to do with co-optimization, which currently also goes up to 150Hz and later even higher.
I guess we will see what happens - when it happens. Unless you have a crystal ball and know what ART is actually going to end up being once it it released. While MSO and REW can't obviously do co-optimization, they are best tools built my mankind thus far and they take you pretty far out there. ART still continues to be illusive like a unicorn. Keep telling my kids that actually only horses exist, and no unicorns, but they have hard time believing :)

Oddball

Here the Denon A1H with DLBC plays at least 2 hours/day and in the weekends even more. Very convincing Atmos and powerful bass down to 12-13Hz with my subs. But at the MLP decay times around room modes could be significantly shorter so ART indeed is eagerly awaited.

With ART you'll also be able to create your personal house curve, isn't it? And SPL can be bought or built ;)

Roadmaps don't need to very detailed and exactly dated. If they promised April 2024 like we heard on forums, then Dirac and D+M would be in trouble. But why can't they tell they found problems which they're solving now so we don't have to guess or rely on hearsay?
Here with AV-10, bunch of amps, 6 towers with 10 inch woofers, and center that digs to 30-ish hz, even Atmos speakers good to 80hz and 4 big subs. Running LFE+main and LFE distribution on Audy. That is what I call a real speaker support in absence or the glorious but absent ART.

No need for a wink . I actually know what I want and need, and I don’t need DLBC with some decay improvements. And have absolutely no idea what ART can or can not do for my system. As of now ART does not support bass management options that I am keen to use and are common to both Storm and D&M. Does that make me worried? Hell no, but kind of tired reading all the posts that ART will be sprinkled around like wholly water.

There is not even a decent review for ART thus far so winking around ain’t going to replace that at least not for me. Why are people trying to invent something that is actually not there at all - yet?

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I think most people that are so eagerly waiting for ART already have their systems set up pretty tight and are greatly enjoying them with their current bass management. I know I do :p.

The whole hype around ART started way to early and by now people are expecting so much that a lot of critical listeners with good Audy/REW/MSO setups might be disappointed at the end. My experience with ART was with the dealer setup and given all the hi-end gear involved (Perlisten speakers etc.), it was still making me wonder if that bass is actually the bass I would want. Extremely tight but not nearly as powerful as I am used to. I could use some lower decay below 45hz, true, but not sure I want to give up a big slice of SPL for that. Have no idea how they have set-up their Storm 16 ART system so the experience is pretty much irrelevant - they were clear that they would not want me to mess with their calibration, nor I would know how to do it without spending 100 hours in their shop.

Definitively agree that roadmap would be helpful, but then if they can't stand behind it, better to keep it loose. I do think that D&M will try to pull their muscle and get this done in 2024, but at the end it all depends on Dirac.

In the meantime, instead of obsessing over ART, I am trying to enjoy the worthy contend in my great HT that is occasionally available in the streaming world. Finally watching Masters of Air and yeah, could do that all day long as CA says :) Unfortunately have to split it episode by episode by day (if lucky).
Moving to full range all round (5.1.4) resolved most of my bass issues... nodes/nulls be gone!

Running plain vanilla Dirac Live, and finding the results very satisfying now.

So yes... a sorted setup right now, can do the magic.

But for those who are in the hobby.... we will always want to know, what more could be achieved?

Frank207be

But for those who are in the hobby.... we will always want to know, what more could be achieved?
Art promises better decays and I want to experience exactly that in my partially treated living room. That what this topic is all about, isn't it? And the sooner Dirac ART gets released, the sooner we can share our experiences ;)

Aaronb1138

Per @sweetchaos in the other Dirac comparison thread, there is a new 30% off promo code. I'm not sure I want to encourage handing more money to Dirac at the moment with the current news and no official word on ART coming to D&M or other compatible platforms. I bought a Denon x3800h and all the Dirac licensing through multi-sub bass management back in January with the discount at the time with the intention of adding on ART in April based on the credible rumor here.

I'm enjoying what I have today, and going to try to join the ART beta, but not quite sure how since nothing official gets said anywhere.

It leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth that something is being severely delayed because there are potentially too many users that would cost too much in support tickets and dsats.

Dirac 30% discount is back on till May 27,2024. promo code SRCS30.

Frank207be

I've read on AVS forum that this discount is not for the AVR version.

Edit: Added link to SRCS30

Last edited:
Top Bottom