• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac not available any more?

Flyman

Hello guys i was looking buying dirac before moths for laptop.i have the umik microphone.

Well i didn't see anything in the website. I send them an email saying that they working on it...but for now there is a beta verison for free....my issue is that it can't not work it as dap. You just import the measurments that you do...for loading in other hifi device that supports dirac...as i understand.

So is there anything else like dirac to make my room correction or am i missing something?!

Thanx.

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
Hello guys i was looking buying dirac before moths for laptop.i have the umik microphone.

Well i didn't see anything in the website. I send them an email saying that they working on it...but for now there is a beta verison for free....my issue is that it can't not work it as dap. You just import the measurments that you do...for loading in other hifi device that supports dirac...as i understand.

So is there anything else like dirac to make my room correction or am i missing something?!

Thanx.

There is REW. Which is free. And awesome. =)

XpanD

Forum Donor
...huh. I haven't used my copy in a while (I found Audyssey XT32 did a better job in my last room), but not having a download link available anymore (and the portal link from my old mails also being dead) is very discouraging. This has apparently been the case for a few months already, as well. Really hope I did not just get shafted out of a >500 euro surround license.

EDIT: Portal still seems to be up at https://portal.dirac.se/ and has the old downloads. Wondering when we'll finally get 2.0, but that's reassuring at least.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@Flak has announced elsewhere that the new DL should be making an appearance in a couple of weeks.

OP
F

Flyman

Thanx guys for the responce.

Well from the little that i know the rew doesn't work as dap. Is like the new dirac. You just edit the target....save the filter and load it in a programm.

I can't understand why the new dirac doesn't have the option working as dap.also i can't understand why they don't have the old version to buy until the new will be ready. The old version from the link that Xpand says is for users that they have bought the old one.

Last edited:
OP
F

Flyman

Yes i know it works.

But not working as dap.just you make the curve and save it.

Last edited:
OP
F

Flyman

Krunok

Major Contributor
OP
F

Flyman

i don't know the meaning of the word dap....but as you read is saying that it works as a virtual sound card. And you can choose it from the system preferences.

As i try the new version.....because the old one is not available for 8months now....i see that there aren't so many options like the old one. Is that because is a demo?! Does somebody knows if the new one will have all that options that the old one have?!

on the other hand i am searching for alternative software.

Last edited:

XpanD

Forum Donor

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
You could use something like EqualizerAPO to apply REW's filters system-wide, if on Windows. I messed with that a bunch myself, though I found Dirac did a better job. It is almost free, though! Just need a mic.

This page briefly covers the process: https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Documentation/

If you use Roon to listen to your music, you can use REW (free) or commercial services (like HAF) to create filters that Roon will convolve live for all of the music you play.

Using REW to make RTA with pink noise and the moving mic method to make measurements, I got really great results having that filter applied in Roon. Only a calibrated mic (like UMIK 1) is required to make the measurements.

Wombat

Master Contributor
These softwares lend themselves to @amirm(trained listener) review. Probably less expensive than speakers and headphones. :)

OP
F

Flyman

Xpand a very thanx for your details.i had aleeady dirac,rew and umik microphone.the problem is that rew and the new dirac give you the opportunity only to save the filters and load to a music player like roon.

I used to listen music from tidal. The old version is like virtual sound card if you read my last post. So does make the job that i want. I know that dirac makes better job but the new demo dirac doesn't have the options that i want.

The problem with roon is that doesn't support tidal.am i right?! If roon can play tidal is a solution but not the cheapest because j must buy it.

My point is that dirac doesn't work as virtual dac.

XpanD

Forum Donor
Does Equalizer APO not work with Tidal? It can load filters into the real sound card (as an APO, an effect of sorts), and should affect everything running on the system. Tidal should also work with that, unless it manages to bypass loaded APOs somehow. (which seems kind of silly)

If Tidal does manage to bypass that, you may also be able to route it through something like Voicemeeter, though that may be a bit too complicated to be worthwhile. You could try setting Voicemeeter's virtual sound card as the system default, and then having it route sound coming in there onto the main sound card. The main card would then have the APOs applied as normal.

Here's hoping Dirac puts out a new release of the standalone version soon, that would make things a lot easier!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Xpand a very thanx for your details.i had aleeady dirac,rew and umik microphone.the problem is that rew and the new dirac give you the opportunity only to save the filters and load to a music player like roon.

I used to listen music from tidal. The old version is like virtual sound card if you read my last post. So does make the job that i want. I know that dirac makes better job but the new demo dirac doesn't have the options that i want.

The problem with roon is that doesn't support tidal.am i right?! If roon can play tidal is a solution but not the cheapest because j must buy it.

My point is that dirac doesn't work as virtual dac.

Roon does have a great Tidal integration. Works perfectly for me.

OP
F

Flyman

I think that equalizer apo is for windows. I have macos.
If equaliser apo work with macos please let me know.

Thanx for the info BdWoody. But i must pay for it. I will wait if dirac will make a good stand alone programm as the old one to make my move.

XpanD

Forum Donor
Yeah, it's Windows-only, sadly. There may be something like that for Macs, though I'm not familiar with that side of things myself.

Top Bottom