• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live vs Servo Subwoofers

Hello everyone.

I own a MiniDSP SHD which has the option of using Dirac Live. I've also been keen on Rythmik Servo Subwoofers and have drooled over them for a while.

So my question to everyone is, What exactly would be the differences between using Dirac Live on a Subwoofer, or having a Servo subwoofer?

Would having access to Dirac Live trump the need or usefulness of the Servo technology?

Don't both achieve the same goal of modifying the signal to match the room/output?

Thank you for any responses this garners.

win

A servo is just a physical way to control a large driver. Dirac doesn't care.

OdysseusG

A servo isn't aware of the room. It maintains the linearity of the driver in more or less real time. Dirac would almost certainly have too much latency to achieve the same effect, and it is calibrated for one set of corrections. A servo sub could adapt (to an extent) for a driver misbehaving more as you increase levels, or as the voice coils heat up for example. You could have a sub performing perfectly in the near field that then gets terribly distorted by the room in the far field, which is where room correction comes into play.

jonfitch

I think they are correcting for different things. One is tonality under controlled conditions, the servo is correcting for driver distortion.

Top Bottom