• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about Dirac Live/MiniDSP SHD

fatoldgit

So MiniDSP use Dirac Live and I have looked at the SHD manual related to Dirac Live.

The manual is all about measuring but I dont want to do that... I already am using 10 PEQ points so know what I want.

Is it possible with Dirac Live to simply enter the PEQ point you want rather than be forced to measure OR if I need to measure can I just then discard whatever it presents and then enter my 10 PEQ points?

Thanks

Peter

staticV3

Master Contributor
The whole point of Dirac Live is automated EQ. You let it measure your speakers/room and it does the rest.

If you want to configure the EQ manually, then you can use the SHD's standard miniDSP GUI:
Screenshot_SHD-Studio.png

Or better yet: purchase a device whose price does not include a Dirac Live license. miniDSP Flex for example.

ReDFoX

The whole point of Dirac Live is automated EQ. You let it measure your speakers/room and it does the rest.
I'd add that the quality of final calibration will definitely improve if you deploy MMM and/or anechoic based filters before starting calibration procedure. Since PEQ section is placed after Dirac's signal generator, it would fix some of problems that Dirac possibly can't adress due to limited number of measurements (and their quality)

OP
F

fatoldgit

If you want to configure the EQ manually, then you can use the SHD's standard miniDSP GUI:
View attachment 328335

Or better yet: purchase a device whose price does not include a Dirac Live license. miniDSP Flex for example.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have already extensively measured my room and applied PEQ as needed to arrive at a sound I like..sure things might improve with Dirac (or just be different but not specifically better) but I am over buggering around with this stuff (as I am with building room treatments).

I "sensed" MiniDSP has some DSP of their own but I guess in the case of the MiniDSP devices with Dirac, that gets crowded out in the marketing/user guide material.

I had looked at the Flex but was drawn to the SHD as it has XLR analogue outs (as opposed to TRS).... so will reconsider the Flex

Peter

mglobe

Forum Donor
Thanks.

I have already extensively measured my room and applied PEQ as needed to arrive at a sound I like..sure things might improve with Dirac but I am over buggering around with this stuff (as I am with building room treatments).

I "sensed" MiniDSP has some DSP of their own but I guess in the case of the MiniDSP devices with Dirac, that gets crowded out.

Peter
You don't have to run Dirac. You can either buy a Flex or SHD and not use Dirac, even if in the case of the SHD it is included in the price.

Nutul

I had looked at the Flex but was drawn to the SHD as it has XLR analogue outs (as opposed to TRS).... so will reconsider the Flex
TRS or XLR is just the same; only the connector is different. TRS being standard in pro-audio gear. Both are meant for balanced signal.
RCA (single-ended) are the difference, both from a signal AND a connector point of view.

OP
F

fatoldgit

TRS or XLR is just the same; only the connector is different. TRS being standard in pro-audio gear. Both are meant for balanced signal.
RCA (single-ended) are the difference, both from a signal AND a connector point of view.
sure, know that. but would need to re-terminate my existing XLR->XLR at one end.

OP
F

fatoldgit

Found this YT tutorial for the device console... couldnt find anything of value on the minidsp website

youtu.be/ryyeqtyn6PY

So have a good idea about what it can do.

I am drawn to the SHD given its full width and has XLR outs... sure its more expensive but am ok with that.

Peter

OP
F

fatoldgit

You must not be looking hard enough.. the manuals are quite clear on how things work:

I found those no issues before my first post but I dont consider a few web pages "a manual"... would expect to have a PDF with lots of images and detailed explanations.

Anways, had a discussion with myself and figure the Flex Balanced is the best option (no issue re-terminating my existing XLR's) and as I can get it without Dirac this simplifies the pipeline and ensures 100% I get a device with only the minimum of software I need (i.e. just the native PEQ, no dirac, no streaming etc)

Thanks to all for your help.

Peter

RickyC34

What gear do currently have that the Minidsp would be potentially replacing or added to? How many channels would you like to apply PEQ to? What's your source? If PC, you can do this for free software called Equalizer APO and skip the Minidsp. It seems you're really trying to avoid measuring again for some reason. Unfortunately, I would think it would be best practice to remeasure anytime something new is added to the chain.

SHD does have the advantage of processing at 96Khz vs Flex 48Khz. Not sure if this is of value to you or not.
edit
I just double-checked myself and the Flex says "32 bit/96 kHz (32bit/48 kHz with Dirac Live® license" So from my understanding that means no Dirac = 96Khz?

Top Bottom