• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks...but the thing is, if I turn off Dirac, the EX5 still shows a 48kHz sampling rate for a 96KHz recording. Shouldn't it display the true rate if DL is bypassed?
I think it processes at 48 kHz, regardless of Dirac is enabled or not.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What else could it be processing? I have no xovers, filters, etc, programmed. I thought it would be straight through.
It always goes though the DSP, regardless of any active processing.

David_M

It always goes though the DSP, regardless of any active processing.
I think maybe when you activate DL license in the software everything goes to 48khz and then it works like @voodooless said
If that's the case, then that really sucks!

I find it hard to believe a full-blown Analog Devices 400MHz SharcDSP can't process digital filters (which is what DL is eventually) 96KHz and beyond for a 2-channel system.
Bullocks!

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I find it hard to believe a full-blown Analog Devices 400MHz SharcDSP can't process digital filters (which is what DL is eventually) 96KHz and beyond for a 2-channel system.
Bullocks!

It wouldn't do any difference to sound quality ... acoustic corrections are much, much more important.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Bullocks!
It can without the Dirac license installed. The point is, Dirac needs a certain FIR resolution, and this particular DSP chip can only manage that at 48 kHz. 96 kHz would double the needed filter taps. And since only disabling Dirac won’t release the DSP resources for it, you’ll stay at 48 kHz. Uninstall Dirac to get to the 96 kHz filter software.

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it. You won’t be able te hear the difference anyway.

Blew

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it. You won’t be able te hear the difference anyway.
Doesn't that depend on the reconstruction filter in the DAC?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't that depend on the reconstruction filter in the DAC?
A little. But we know how the filter behaves based on the flex review and it should be absolutely fine. We also know the performance of the sample rate converters in the SHARC DSP: 133 SINAD, 142 dB SNR, 125 dB stopband attenuation . That is absolutely transparent.

Anyway, all of this it totally off-top, because this is about the PC and MAC versions.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Hello,
the latest beta Dirac Live 3.7..1 has just been published:
with comments about the features, fixes, and known remaining problems.
Needles to say, if you'll find the time and inclination we'll appreciate your findings and comments by emailing [email protected].

Thanks a lot for your cooperation!!

Joaquinín

I hope somebody can solve one doubt Dirac DLBC, the PC version. When you have a multichannel setup (2.1, 4.1, etc.), do you need one SW for the LFE channel + another SW for the BM? In the "Channels configuration", it seems that Bass Management ("Subwoofer") and LFE can't be directed to the same "Output"...

kolestonin

just to be on the safe side before pulling the trigger:

I have two speakers with two subwoofers.
I don't have any Dirac compatible gear and I plan to try the software standalone version.

Do I need the stereo($349 ) or the multichannel($499) license for a 2.2 setup?

staticV3

Master Contributor

I don't have any Dirac compatible gear and I plan to try the software standalone version.

Dirac Live RCS does not support multiple subwoofers, regardless of what license you choose:
Screenshot_20231102-195435_Chrome.png

You can still run two subs of course, but they would both play the same mono signal, so MSO-like sub optimization is not possible.

Edit: on the other hand, this Manual suggests that Dirac Bass Control™ can be used as well: https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/Dirac+Live+User+Manual

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Stereo+DLBC licenses will work.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor

PC? Single seat setup? You can also start by doing your crossovers in EAPO and go with just the stereo license.

janbth

The file server at Dirac seems to be down (with changelogs and user guides). I have been trying to connect for several days now. Is it just me? @Flak do you know anything about this?

Davide

Studio Stereo or Studio Stereo + Bass Control if you have a DAC or interface with 4 outputs.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
A heads-up :)

Top Bottom