• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any multichannel DAC recommendations for DLBC? I have a Motu 4, but that doesn't work as it presents itself as 2 different devices in Windows.

I tried using HDMI out to my AVR, but couldn't get exclusive mode to work. Without exclusive mode the Windows mixer always seem to be sending something to the subwoofer even though all speakers are set to full range in Windows. I verified this in the Dirac Live volume test and the subwoofer got a signal for the left and right speaker test.
That's bad news. I planned to get the Motu M4 as well for Dirac Live.
What could work is setting up the M4 in Voicemeeter Banana which can take any sound devices and gives you a virtual multichannel output. I've done this with two DACs to setup a low and highpassed output but can't confirm if it will work with Dirac Bass control.

The only multichannel devices that come to my mind are the Topping DM7 and the Motu UL Mk5.
It appears to me that this whole Dirac live bass control setup works a lot better in MacOS which let's you easily create a virtual multichannel DAC

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It appears to me that this whole Dirac live bass control setup works a lot better in MacOS which can't easily create a virtual multichannel DAC
It appears to me that this whole Dirac live bass control setup works a lot better in MacOS which can:):) easily create a virtual multichannel DAC.
The only multichannel devices that come to my mind are the Topping DM7 and the Motu UL Mk5.
Anyone (in CONUS) interested in a miniDSP U-DAC8?

juliangst

It appears to me that this whole Dirac live bass control setup works a lot better in MacOS which can:):) easily create a virtual multichannel DAC
Thanks, corrected spelling :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Anyone (in CONUS) interested in a miniDSP U-DAC8? ;)

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

Any multichannel DAC recommendations for DLBC? I have a Motu 4, but that doesn't work as it presents itself as 2 different devices in Windows.

I tried using HDMI out to my AVR, but couldn't get exclusive mode to work. Without exclusive mode the Windows mixer always seem to be sending something to the subwoofer even though all speakers are set to full range in Windows. I verified this in the Dirac Live volume test and the subwoofer got a signal for the left and right speaker test.

I'm considering this one to build DLBC compatible system, with 2 subs.

but that doesn't work as it presents itself as 2 different devices in Windows.

Did you search Windows apps for making a virtual multichannel device? I use in Mac Loopback (see my original post on page 4 of this thread). Basically I used multiple 2 channel DACs to make a virtual DAC with 4 channels and configured DLBC with that setup.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm considering this one to build DLBC compatible system, with 2 subs.

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping DM7 8-channel balanced USB DAC. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $599. The DM7 is simplicity in itself as you can tell from its rear terminals: USB input is the only one provided which is just fine with me. And seems...
www.audiosciencereview.com

but that doesn't work as it presents itself as 2 different devices in Windows.
It works fine. It presents itself as an 8 channel AES/EBU input device as an 8 channel D/A output device. One can use either or both under Windows.

Last edited:

PlateMail

After uninstalling the latest version of ASIO4ALL I can now choose ASIO in the audio settings dialog in Dirac Live Processor and all channels is available for the device.

It might be that Dirac Live Processor is incompatible with the latest version of ASIO4ALL.

1672213628323.png

juliangst

Oh nice, now I might consider getting the MOTU M4 again

PlateMail

I'm waiting for some longer cables before I can test the whole setup and do the calibration properly. I will connect the Motu to my Yamaha AVR's multi channel input and use the AVR as a preamp for that source. The AVR is connected to the HT bypass of an old Arcam A32 integrated amplifier, which I use to power a pair of Kef R3's. I would prefer to not use my AVR at all when listening to music, but I guess if I use the analogue input and activate pure direct there won't be any quality loss in the audio chain as no extra A/D and D/A conversions should take place.

jasoncd

Motu M4 looks interesting, but assume you'd have to control volume in the OS to use it with DLBC. I don't think the Motu's volume control works across all four outputs. The Topping DM7 I assume would have volume control across all channels but not a huge fan of buttons for volume.

Any others devices out there? I'd like physical volume within reach. Of course this is assuming DLBC comes out anytime soon...

juliangst

Motu M4 looks interesting, but assume you'd have to control volume in the OS to use it with DLBC. I don't think the Motu's volume control works across all four outputs. The Topping DM7 I assume would have volume control across all channels but not a huge fan of buttons for volume.

Any others devices out there? I'd like physical volume within reach. Of course this is assuming DLBC comes out anytime soon...
The Topping and Oktodac are the only multichannel DACs that have Hardware volume and remote. The Motu UL Mk5 has volume across all outputs and the M4 only on output 1&2.

I want hardware volume too but spending 600€ on a DAC like the DM7 is a hard pill to swallow for me

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

juliangst

I only need 4 channels for now and only having TRS on the Topping is also a disadvantage because I only have RCA inputs on my subs.
I would use my integrated amp as a power amp which only has RCA inputs as well.

The Topping technically works with RCA devices but it’s not recommenced and using a proper TRS to RCA (pin 3 floating) can still lead to ground loops/ noise.

MCH

Major Contributor
The Topping and Oktodac are the only multichannel DACs that have Hardware volume and remote. The Motu UL Mk5 has volume across all outputs and the M4 only on output 1&2.

I want hardware volume too but spending 600€ on a DAC like the DM7 is a hard pill to swallow for me
If you are using a computer anyways, wouldn't one of those USB knobs work? They are ugly but they cost next to nothing if that is the limitation
I only need 4 channels for now and only having TRS on the Topping is also a disadvantage because I only have RCA inputs on my subs.

The Topping technically works with RCA devices but it’s not recommenced and using a proper TRS to RCA (pin 3 floating) can still lead to ground loops/ noise.
That is a truly stupid limitation of the dm7...

Last edited:

juliangst

Wouldn't a good old Asus Xonar be even better?

If you are using a computer anyways, wouldn't one of those USB knobs work? They are ugly but they cost next to nothing if that is the limitation
Actually thought of doing this. There’s a knobsound usb knob with an okay looking metal case.

I would prefer the M4 over the Asus Xonar though. I want to upgrade my Interface anyway and might want to play with the RPi/CamillaDSP and the M4

Reactions: MCH

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The miniDSP Flex also has a hardware volume knob. In fact, the 2 X 4 HD can also be volume controlled with their remote, though there is no external display to indicate volume level.

juliangst

The miniDSP Flex also has a hardware volume knob. In fact, the 2 X 4 HD can also be volume controlled with their remote, though there is no external display to indicate volume level.
Flex and SHD devices are only 2x4. Dirac Live bass control requires 4x4. Otherwise the MiniDSP devices would be a great choice. Windows/Mac only see the minidsp devices as a 2 channel DAC

Reactions: MCH

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick question here. I am re-doing my Dirac and my processsors are plugins on Dirac Live. I also have PEQ and High/Low subwoofer pass on JRiver. So the question is does it make a difference whether Dirac Live is in front of the PEQ or behind it on the JRiver Q. Seems to me if the measurement signal path runs through the WDM driver, the PEQ and Crossover will all occur before it arrives at the Drirac processor, but it should not matter because the microphone will hear the PEQ's and Crossed over signal whether Dirac is in front or behind the other processing.

On the other hand, if the test signal goes directly to the processor or emanates from the processsor, the signal will bypass the PEQ and the Crossover, in which case the crossover and PEQ modules have to be executed after the processor in order for that to be heard by the mic and taken into account for the correction.

Would be nice to know which situation is the case.

Last edited:

jasoncd

I got the DLBC Beta a few days ago - Flavio was super quick to get me access, which was awesome. Picked up a Focusrite Clarett to act as the four channel DAC. The instructions on how to setup Dirac Live Processor were good and it was easy to get going.

First results - I think what I had setup with a miniDSP + Dirac looks better than what I got on my first run with DLBC. One difference that jumped out at me is the group delay is a lot higher with DLBC. Not sure what to make of that - maybe delay on the mains isn't high enough with DLBC. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting / mis-measuring, I don't know a whole lot compared to many here and most of my understanding comes from trial and error.

Still excited to play around with DLBC and sent some screenshots to Dirac as feedback.

wjp007

You can find more details here

A bit outdated manual, but you’ll find answers here

I have the multichannel license and was able to get access to the Beta today. It does indeed mix the left and right channels for the subwoofer. I am using this with a Denon x3700h AVR connected to my PC via HDMI. I disabled any mixing and crossover on my AVR and basically use it as a multichannel DAC and AMP.

In short the improvement is amazing. The subwoofer integration improved dramatically. A good surprise side benefit is my imaging improved also (I assume that’s a result of better phase matching).

I have a DM7 and an Icepower 1200as2 power amp on the way. I’m looking forward to ditching my AVR and going with the DAC and power amp. I do need to figure out how to go from TRS to the RCA input on my sub.

BTW, I’m testing the setup using Stanley Clarke’s Bass-ic Collection album. Some great bass heavy jazz tracks.

Top Bottom