• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

multisport4me

The distance issue was fixed on the AV10 a while ago. I have a wireless sub and couldn't use it until they fixed the distance issue. So I think this is a nothing-burger now.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reliable information from a member of team Denon UK

DIRAC ART available in April on 6800 for +299 dollars (to be added to the full Dirac (MB) )

The question was not asked for 3800 and 4800
ART at that pricepoint ... really cool!

IamJF

Well you have to add bass control... Its not cheap
For sure not cheap! But when you consider the benefit and what you can achieve ... it's way cheaper as a double bass array or room acoustics down to very low frequencies.
You need a big and good speaker system (and still good room acoustics!) - this is not for low budget home cinema projects.

Ciobi69

For sure not cheap! But when you consider the benefit and what you can achieve ... it's way cheaper as a double bass array or room acoustics down to very low frequencies.
You need a big and good speaker system (and still good room acoustics!) - this is not for low budget home cinema projects.
All of this can be done manually with the right knowledge, but for a drc solution is pretty good

IamJF

All of this can be done manually with the right knowledge, but for a drc solution is pretty good
You can do manually produce chancellating sound from all of your speakers for all of the other speakers <150Hz? And get the response of a DBA with a normal speaker setup? I would like to see that ;)

You can do what bass control and fullrange Dirac does (probably without their phase correction) - but the interesting thing about ART is that it can do things you CAN'T do manually any more!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You can do manually produce chancellating sound from all of your speakers for all of the other speakers <150Hz? And get the response of a DBA with a normal speaker setup? I would like to see that ;)

You can do what bass control and fullrange Dirac does (probably without their phase correction) - but the interesting thing about ART is that it can do things you CAN'T do manually any more!
Yes - ART is a paradigm shift....

It vaguely resembles the tech used in noise cancelling headphones, but oriented towards a 3D speaker environment, and using many or all the speakers (including subs) in the setup to contribute.

There are some things it achieves that can potentially be achieved with substantial and expensive room treatment (some of which take a lot of room too - like bass traps) - or with custom built rooms...

But right now, the main users of the initial release of DL-ART, are StormAudio users, who in many cases DO in fact have custom built spaces, often with treatment in place already - and they are reporting noticeable improvements ...

Some of the issues ART handles are basically otherwise intractable.... things that to date have been considered flaws we have to live with.

(Comparisons with Trinnov's latest, have shown that Trinnov's developments have also achieved improvements, but the two don't perfectly overlap... they do different things... so there is still room in the future to add what ART does to what Trinnov does... )

Ciobi69

You can do it manually i know 2 People who did it...you can do anything manually you need the knowledge

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You can do it manually i know 2 People who did it...you can do anything manually you need the knowledge
Where do you get the appropriate algorhythms to analyse the space based on single mic position analysis and then what software (on what platform) is used to apply and blend the cancellation signals over the decoder&mixer... keeping in mind that it doesn't use standar crossovers, as it is instead leveraging the full range capability of all speakers.... and therefore the filtering itself will include xover and bass distribution functions etc...

Is there really a manual version of this out there? (cos that is effectively Dirac's stock in trade / IP...)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read a few instances of people that tried but results just weren’t there. This is all incredibly complex and see very little hope of this being done manually. Please share where this has been done as it would be interesting to see the final achieved results doing manually.

Ciobi69

I read a few instances of people that tried but results just weren’t there. This is all incredibly complex and see very little hope of this being done manually. Please share where this has been done as it would be interesting to see the final achieved results doing manually.
sadly i don't have any tutorial or info, i don't have the right knowledge and tools for it, i use dirac live too, but this guy used it on a 4.2 system without the center channel, he had an awesome waterfall spectrogram ecc.. but he is a true nerd, sadly i don't know how to get there, but you sure can

IamJF

Can you find out what DSP platform he was using?
4.2 is easier as 7.x.4 of course but would still be a great achievment to get that running! I would stick with a DBA ...

davidc

Forum Donor
Sort of an off-the-wall question here. I have a 5.0 system, using a Denon AVR-x4800h, and am anxiously awaiting Dirac ART. I can't add any more speakers for more surround due to the wife's acceptance factor and the layout of the living room. I can however, add some "hidden" speakers, like behind the TV, next to the couch, behind a chair. I'll probably add a sub this way for ART, even though I don't "need" one due to my large front L/R speakers.

Does anybody know if ART would allow hooking up extra speakers, but they only output the correction signals, and not be used for the "normal" sound? That way, I can better use ART, as I've heard the more speakers, the better.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Sort of an off-the-wall question here. I have a 5.0 system, using a Denon AVR-x4800h, and am anxiously awaiting Dirac ART. I can't add any more speakers for more surround due to the wife's acceptance factor and the layout of the living room. I can however, add some "hidden" speakers, like behind the TV, next to the couch, behind a chair. I'll probably add a sub this way for ART, even though I don't "need" one due to my large front L/R speakers.

Does anybody know if ART would allow hooking up extra speakers, but they only output the correction signals, and not be used for the "normal" sound? That way, I can better use ART, as I've heard the more speakers, the better.
Interesting question...

ART has that capability - whether the manufacturer then exposes that capability as an option, is a different matter!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ART does not require that you add DLBC, but it will require LRC from what I've been told by Dirac
My understanding you only need DLBC if you have subs. If you don’t have subs, you don’t need DLBC.

davidc

Forum Donor
My understanding you only need DLBC if you have subs. If you don’t have subs, you don’t need DLBC.
Yes, this is what they told me as well. There was a time when they were going to add in the capability of controlling the front speakers, but changed their minds.

Top Bottom