• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

elevensheep

This is very strange.

The returned unit’s dashboard looks better than the failed unit, yet Amirm doesn’t bother testing again? Why?

5EF22FE4-8002-4639-A149-9201CFB59B70.jpeg

B93D9F97-D091-48F0-BE4F-CA980A881AC5.jpeg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This is very strange.

The returned unit’s dashboard looks better than the failed unit, yet Amirm doesn’t bother testing again? Why?

View attachment 88196
View attachment 88195

Since it came back after being fixed with zero information or feedback, and after the hassle involved in getting it fixed in the first place, he did not want to tempt the fates with a 5 year old amp he likely had nightmares about after the first disappointing result.

If they had included information about what happened, and reassurance that it was good to go for another round, I would have been all over that...as it was, I think Amir was just happy to get a working unit sent to it's destination.

For what it's worth. I really like it... Zero complaints, and the remote is cool as shit.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree in part, the marketing part, it is good marketing. Engineering wise it is a unique comensation potential for speaker shortcomings but only if you own calibrated speakers they have measured.

I will be facing this downside of SAM.

My current speakers (Dynaudio Contour 20) were not only measured for SAM profiling, but with 3 different profiles (port open, port half closed, port closed).

My new speakers (Dynaudio Heritage Special) have no SAM profile, and I highly doubt they will, ever, at this point.

So I'm basically losing a feature because I'm getting new speakers.

Although it may be moot as I never ran SAM at 100%, anyway.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

I will be facing this downside of SAM.

My current speakers (Dynaudio Contour 20) were not only measured for SAM profiling, but with 3 different profiles (port open, port half closed, port closed).

My new speakers (Dynaudio Heritage Special) have no SAM profile, and I highly doubt they will, ever, at this point.

So I'm basically losing a feature because I'm getting new speakers.

Although it may be moot as I never ran SAM at 100%, anyway.
So I have a pair of Dali Euphonia MS4 on the Expert 200, and I use the Helicon 400MK2 SAM profile at 100%. No problem. So if you feel up to it, you can try to use the Contour profile. Of course, you might also end up damaging your very high end stand mounts ;)
I have been wanting the Contour 20 myself btw (not to mention the Heritage Special). But small children in the house prohibit stand mounts ^^

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So I have a pair of Dali Euphonia MS4 on the Expert 200, and I use the Helicon 400MK2 SAM profile at 100%. No problem. So if you feel up to it, you can try to use the Contour profile. Of course, you might also end up damaging your very high end stand mounts ;)
I have been wanting the Contour 20 myself btw (not to mention the Heritage Special). But small children in the house prohibit stand mounts ^^

The Contour 20 and Heritage Special uses different woofers, with different VC lengths and diameters.

The box sizes and port tuning are also different.

If SAM has any real meaning, I don't think I can just randomly apply a different Dynaudio profile and expect optimal results.

MrMarbles

The Contour 20 and Heritage Special uses different woofers, with different VC lengths and diameters.

The box sizes and port tuning are also different.

If SAM has any real meaning, I don't think I can just randomly apply a different Dynaudio profile and expect optimal results.
Yeah, I would be hesitant too. However in my case, it worked out fine. I figured, as the Euphonia was more high-end then the Helicon, it probably wouldn't damage the bottom woofers, aaaaand it didn't :) Been running it for 3 years now.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeah, I would be hesitant too. However in my case, it worked out fine. I figured, as the Euphonia was more high-end then the Helicon, it probably wouldn't damage the bottom woofers, aaaaand it didn't :) Been running it for 3 years now.

Damage is only part of the issue.

The question is if it's actually implementing the proper "corrections".

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Way I figure it, as long as it isn't driving the driver too hard, I get deeper bass, and that's fine by me :)

I think perhaps you're misunderstanding how SAM is supposed to work.

It's not supposed to be just a generic bass boost.

The whole reason they measured all those speakers to make the database is that the tuning is supposed to be specific to the behavior of a particular woofer in a particular box, and correcting for phase, excursion issues, etc.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but as I said above, if SAM has any meaning, it's supposed to be speaker-specific.

I don't think I'll be applying the Contour 20 profile to the Heritage (and...hey...why not a different Dynaudio speaker?), especially as I'm likely to high-pass them, which negates the region SAM operates in.

MrMarbles

I think perhaps you're misunderstanding how SAM is supposed to work.

It's not supposed to be just a generic bass boost.

The whole reason they measured all those speakers to make the database is that the tuning is supposed to be specific to the behavior of a particular woofer in a particular box, and correcting for phase, excursion issues, etc.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but as I said above, if SAM has any meaning, it's supposed to be speaker-specific.

I don't think I'll be applying the Contour 20 profile to the Heritage (and...hey...why not a different Dynaudio speaker?), especially as I'm likely to high-pass them, which negates the region SAM operates in.
No, I understand how it works. But, figured that the driver's on my Euphonia and Helicon (both being Dali's from the same era), it just might work. And it did :) It's not just bass boost, it plays a lot deeper as well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Do you know how they go about getting new speakers measured for whatever their magic does?

Have you communicated with them about adding yours?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
No, I understand how it works. But, figured that the driver's on my Euphonia and Helicon (both being Dali's from the same era), it just might work. And it did :) It's not just bass boost, it plays a lot deeper as well.

Well, I won't be doing what you did.

I don't have any empirical evidence that it would lead to superior results to just leaving the speaker un-SAM'ed vs randomly-SAM'ed.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do you know how they go about getting new speakers measured for whatever their magic does?

Have you communicated with them about adding yours?

Yes, they have clinics from time to time (or they used to) to have speakers brought in and measured.

No, I haven't asked Devialet because, as far as I can tell, they haven't updated the SAM database in a few years nor have I read about them running a clinic recently. I think it's dead.

MrMarbles

Well, I won't be doing what you did.

I don't have any empirical evidence that it would lead to superior results to just leaving the speaker un-SAM'ed vs randomly-SAM'ed.
On my system, the only sonically difference I hear, is deeper bass when SAM is turned on. If it is at 100%, I also get some boost to the bass. Of course, I would never try a random profile. In my case, both speakers are very similar (I had them both for 2 months, so I could compare). The biggest difference was in the treble.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
On my system, the only sonically difference I hear, is deeper bass when SAM is turned on. If it is at 100%, I also get some boost to the bass. Of course, I would never try a random profile. In my case, both speakers are very similar (I had them both for 2 months, so I could compare). The biggest difference was in the treble.

The Dynaudio Contour 20 and Heritage Special share very little in common.

They have different woofers, different tweeters, different crossover topologies, different box volumes, different port tunings.

MrMarbles

The Dynaudio Contour 20 and Heritage Special share very little in common.

They have different woofers, different tweeters, different crossover topologies, different box volumes, different port tunings.
Yes, fine. Forget I said anything, you don't want to try it, I understood you.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, fine. Forget I said anything, you don't want to try it, I understood you.

It's not just a matter of wanting to try it / not wanting to try it.

There's just no reason to believe that a different woofer, with a different diameter voice coil, with a different magnetic geometry, a different motor, a different linear excursion, and a different bass tuning, would be a good fit for a tuning designed for a totally different speaker.

Unless SAM is just BS, in which case the speaker specific tunings may be a facade.

MrMarbles

It plays deeper because it's boosted the bass.

If Sam isn't available for your speakers you are better off with room EQ, you need room EQ anyway.
Tell me how to implement room EQ with a devialet expert and appleTV?

Top Bottom