• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop PC download speed is slow. In Safe Mode the download speed is fast. How to search for thing that is slowing the downloads?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TLDR all the thread....but when I've used copying from hard drives to usb drives, it's always been way slower than spec. I've seen some excuses, but just seems typical MS bullshit. Anyone explain better?
I should not have done the following brief/impromptu screen-captures while shuffling data... now I am as confoozled as you are.

I have a Z790 motherboardf running Win11P.
So I ran to my 'corner computer store' and bought:
*Patriot USB3.2(C-type) 64GB flash-stick (@$3.99)
*Samsung "400Mbps" speed USB(C-type) 128GB flash-stick (@$20) that turned out to be a USB3.1 :mad:
202305_USBTypeSpeeds.jpg

---------------------------------------
#1) Copying from an SATA-SSD >> to the Patriot USB3.2C stick showed me a thru-put equivalent of:
202305_TransferSpeedUSB3x.jpg

@~300Mbps >> NFG...:(
------------------------------------------
#2) Copying (transferring another "large" file-size) package from same SATA-SSD >> thru 10GbE LAN >> to a 4TB NAS-HDD showed this thru-put:
202305_TransferSpeed-SSD-LAN-NAS-HDD.jpg

@~600Mps (there is other constant network traffic)... but bottleneck is possibly the NAS speed.:)
--------------------------------------------
#3) Copying same "large" file package from NAS-HDD >> thru 10GbE LAN >> to NUC10 NVmE showed this thru-put:
202305_TransferSpeed_HDDNAS-LAN-NUC10NVmE.jpg

@~450Mbps (using 75feet of Cat6 thru 2 network-switches)... confirms #2) above.
--------------------------------------------
#4) Copying same "large" file package from same USB3.2C 64GB-stick >> NUC10-i7 USB3.1C >> to internal NVmE drive showed:
202305_TransferSpeed_USB3dot2CFlash-NUC10NVmE.jpg

@~850Mbps << this direct copy (w/o any cables) tells me I am exceeding the USB2.0 (480Mbps) speeds but not even close to USB3.1Gen1.
-----------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, I don't think, in all honesty, I can fully accuse Microsoft of shenanigans alone.:(

Top Bottom