• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon PMA-600NE Integrated Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 146 40.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 184 51.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 6.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

ads_cft222

Mine resembled the sound of an empty metalic barrel, you know what I mean.
I did not find it clean enough and I did not get the 3d full bodied sound I like. It was paired with Dali Oberon 7. But the background was not so quiet , although people there tried to keep quiet , since it was in a hotel room of an exhibition.

BarryTone

Wiim mini + FOSI or Aiyima amp for under $200 makes way more sense than this PMA-600NE. FOSI, Wiim and Aiyima, here is your chance to add the other half to make an inexpensive streaming amplifier. Partnership with licensing agreement?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir.:)
Unfortunately, it ended up in the most boring category, that is to say, half-good. It is okay if you find it at a good price and you look for the functions it has. But not so good that you get excited. Not so bad and expensive as to piss you off. There won't be much to write about right away. Also, mediocre power level doesn't make it much more fun.:oops:
It feels like a low powered bog standard car. It does its job okay but not more than that.

But I have a question, what does this mean? Amir: It even has IR control for automation.? Inputs and outputs for that, which means? Automation?
It has nothing to do with the remote control itself, or? So what can you plug into it?

ads_cft222

Wiim mini + FOSI or Aiyima amp for under $200 makes way more sense than this PMA-600NE. FOSI, Wiim and Aiyima, here is your chance to add the other half to make an inexpensive streaming amplifier. Partnership with licensing agreement?
The thing is good budget speakers -such as from the Elac range- have low sensitivity and impedance. Can these amps from fosi et all drive them properly without strain? Also how long will they last? The expensive is not so expensive if it serves you for decades...

Last edited:

Hammeredklavier

Wiim mini + FOSI or Aiyima amp for under $200 makes way more sense than this PMA-600NE.
The PMA-600NE seems expensive for what it is. As I said above, it appears to be Denon's most basic, budget integrated (PMA520AE) with a rudimentary DAC and Bluetooth thrown in. Development costs will have been very low, it's based on a fairly old - albeit perfectly good - amplifier design.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I am afraid the average ASR reader doesn't need anything working another 30 years.
OUCH!!!!!!!

My son might though and although he doesn't play my audio rigs as yet, he's looking forward to it one day after I've gone!

JakeK

Forum Donor
I voted fine. The price is quite low for all the features it has as well as being from a dependable brand with full dealer support. It's deficiencies are probably not audible to most people. As a one box hifi system it could work well and it also has plenty of inputs including a not bad phono input. Some would pay the $400 or much more for just a tube phono stage that measures far worse than this. If someone wants to play records as well as spotify and bluteooth some stuff from their phone and go plenty loud while not paying too much and looking unobtrusive in a rack this is actually a good option. They probably sell well in the dealers. Would I buy it myself though? I would probably buy a different solution with a better DAC and LDAC or APTX and no phono in.

Hammeredklavier

I voted fine. The price is quite low for all the features it has as well as being from a dependable brand with full dealer support. It's deficiencies are probably not audible to most people. As a one box hifi system it could work well and it also has plenty of inputs including a not bad phono input. Some would pay the $400 or much more for just a tube phono stage that measures far worse than this. If someone wants to play records as well as spotify and bluteooth some stuff from their phone and go plenty loud while not paying too much and looking unobtrusive in a rack this is actually a good option. They probably sell well in the dealers. Would I buy it myself though? I would probably buy a different solution with a better DAC and LDAC or APTX and no phono in.
Indeed. It's a very useful amplifier really, and as you say, it'll probably be transparent for most people.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm.

I purchased a Marantz PM5005 integrated amp for my beach house because it had digital inputs and provision for a second set of speakers for my balcony. Very similar functionality, power output and cost to the Denon. It performs satisfactorily.

The Marantz was bought prior to joining ASR and becoming aware of the range of excellent and inexpensive gear that is now readily available.

Last year I purchased a new front end being a SMSL SU8 DAC (with remote) connected via balanced out to a Buckeye/Hypex MP252 power amp, which in turn drive a pair of B&W AM1 speakers played full range.The RCAs out from the DAC go to an old 12" Velodyne sub (XO set at 65 Hz). Sound is exceptional.

i.e. for another $300 I now have a front end that provides near SOTA performance and over 100W of power. This is an insignificant amount of money if you amortise it over say a 5 year period, especially when compared to the audio jewellery that the magazines promote.

This is the difference ASR has made for me.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I might pick one up in 4 or 5 years at a pawn shop for $75 and use it in my work shop. It will handle all the sawdust I can throw at it and keep going.

raindance

Major Contributor
Interesting to see the exaggerated highs. I brought the 900 home a while back and though it sounded different than my other amps. When I measured at the speakers it put slightly more out in the highs than my other amps and recievers. I don't know if that's what I was hearing, but it's interesting to see this measured response showing similar. I found it appealing, but that could just mean my speakers/room needed a little more up there.
Can you show me where you see a measurement showing exaggerated highs please?

Overseas

Major Contributor
I might pick one up in 4 or 5 years at a pawn shop for $75 and use it in my work shop. It will handle all the sawdust I can throw at it and keep going.
Looks like it is built for that, not Hifi.

DesertHawk

Thanks @amirm.

I purchased a Marantz PM5005 integrated amp for my beach house because it had digital inputs and provision for a second set of speakers for my balcony. Very similar functionality, power output and cost to the Denon. It performs satisfactorily.

The Marantz was bought prior to joining ASR and becoming aware of the range of excellent and inexpensive gear that is now readily available.

Last year I purchased a new front end being a SMSL SU8 DAC (with remote) connected via balanced out to a Buckeye/Hypex MP252 power amp, which in turn drive a pair of B&W AM1 speakers played full range.The RCAs out from the DAC go to an old 12" Velodyne sub (XO set at 65 Hz). Sound is exceptional.

i.e. for another $300 I now have a front end that provides near SOTA performance and over 100W of power. This is an insignificant amount of money if you amortise it over say a 5 year period, especially when compared to the audio jewellery that the magazines promote.

This is the difference ASR has made for me.
I don't disagree with the logic but would point out a couple of caveats. First, $300 more is a alot when compared to an amp that costs between 400 and 500. Second, if you want a second source or an analog source then you have to add a preamp of some kind. I wish more DACs has volume control and an analog in.

So it's hard to argue that there's value in this unit for its cost. It's just a bummer it doesn't measure any better and for that reason it might be worth trying to piece something else together.

RoyRoyRoy

I'm currently saving up for a PMA-900HNE, specifically, for the H (HEOS) part, as I enjoy the multi-room audio, and I have a turntable that I rarely use and some CDs, but Amazon music streaming is the King in our house. I really can't be bothered to change records or CDs anymore. However, in Canada, it's 1250+tax, or $1412 all in. It's an expensive proposition.

I'm still debating if I get a Denon Link HS2 Pre-Amp $480 and add a lower cost amp (so many to choose nowadays from for my small dining room). In addition, I have a crazy thought of buying an X series Denon, one that was favorably reviewed and measured here, and using that for my Stereo set up, and it would give me extra zones, and all the features I want. It's bizarre that their X6700 is on sale for 53% off, for $1900+tax ($2147 all in) at https://www.denon.com/en-ca/product/av-receivers/avr-x6700h/300005.html. Yes it's overkill for a stereo set up with bookshelves, but Denon has not made price to value proposition that appealing for trying to get HEOS working.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not particularly.
If it doesn’t make sense, I suggest you look at the graphs in Amir’s review and pay attention to the comments about bit depth.

Also, Amir had posted several tutorials about understanding audio measurements which are extremely helpful.

Hopefully, that should clear up anything you are confused about, but if that doesn’t help, please post specific areas of confusion in the thread and I am sure multiple forum members will offer help.

telemike

I'm currently saving up for a PMA-900HNE, specifically, for the H (HEOS) part, as I enjoy the multi-room audio, and I have a turntable that I rarely use and some CDs, but Amazon music streaming is the King in our house. I really can't be bothered to change records or CDs anymore. However, in Canada, it's 1250+tax, or $1412 all in. It's an expensive proposition.

I'm still debating if I get a Denon Link HS2 Pre-Amp $480 and add a lower cost amp (so many to choose nowadays from for my small dining room). In addition, I have a crazy thought of buying an X series Denon, one that was favorably reviewed and measured here, and using that for my Stereo set up, and it would give me extra zones, and all the features I want. It's bizarre that their X6700 is on sale for 53% off, for $1900+tax ($2147 all in) at https://www.denon.com/en-ca/product/av-receivers/avr-x6700h/300005.html. Yes it's overkill for a stereo set up with bookshelves, but Denon has not made price to value proposition that appealing for trying to get HEOS working.

There is good information on the 900HNE here. Be sure to translate Japanese to English

DanielT

Major Contributor
Looks like it is built for that, not Hifi.
Nope, I don't agree with that. I see more the Denon PMA-600NE as a starting HiFi amplifier. Perfect for a younger person who has started listening to vinyl, for example. A person who currently has an all in one solution for around $100 (example see attached picture) but wants to switch up to HiFi level. Then the Denon PMA-600NE is a good alternative. It has a phono input. Denon PMA-600NE with some speakers for around $300-400, maybe with a sub for $150-200 and a turntable for around $200. An ok HiFi system (may even then be more than "ok") is then assembled (if good speakers are chosen of course). That goes a long way in terms of sound.:)

Edit:
Incidentally, the Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker is now being sold for $144.99 each. Talk about a really good entry-level HiFi system with the Denon PMA-600NE amp paired with those Monoprice Monolith speakers (plus sub). :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-14_162432.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-14_162432.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Top Bottom