• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon PMA-600NE Smells

Wilbury

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Denon PMA-600NE. And I noticed that the amp, right from the box, had some specific smell. Not too strong, not too bad. Something like the smell of an old valve TV when hot.
To feel the smell, one has to bring ones's nose really close to the ventilation holes. The smell does not depend on whether the amp is off or on. Otherwise the amp is working properly.

I have three explanations:
1. There is a problem.
2. The smell is the outcome of a normal production process.
3. The smell is the outcome of testing the amp at the factory under considerable loads.

Please share your ideas. Ideally, if someone has the same or similar model, please sniff it and let me know if you feel anything. )

Thanks!

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Probably the goop they use to secure large caps... Some of us refer to the smell of old electronics as "perfume" :)

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
No smell here! well if you put your nose on the top of the amp maybe just a tiny whiff of electronics but I don't do that so totally fine.
my Denon pma600 is in my bedroom powering kef ls50 metas with a kc62 sub.
it sounds fabulous from the bed!
1698641778161975672023486246893.jpg

Last edited:

G|force

Forum Donor
I love that new electronics smell, the phenols, the acrylics, it's a shame when it out gasses and the smell is no more.
[edit] after some time box sniffing of the original packing can revive the memory :)

OP
W

Wilbury

Had it, no smell.
Probably the goop they use to secure large caps... Some of us refer to the smell of old electronics as "perfume" :)
No smell here! well if you put your nose on the top of the amp maybe just a tiny whiff of electronics but I don't do that so totally fine.
my Denon pma600 is in my bedroom powering kef ls50 metas with a kc62 sub.
it sounds fabulous from the bed!
I love that new electronics smell, the phenols, the acrylics, it's a shame when it out gasses and the smell is no more.
[edit] after some time box sniffing of the original packing can revive the memory :)
Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions. Nice community you've got here. )

As to the subject matter, I have a feeling that gradually this smell is disappearing. So, probably it was indeed the smell of new electronics.

By the way, I had a chance to visit an electronics shop the other day and smell-tested two amps -- a Sony and an Akai, both from the lower price tier -- and found no smell whatsoever. Maybe exactly because those were already on the shelf of the shop for some time. Unfortunately, there was not Denon available to test. However, I've got an old (5 years) Denon micro-system which does not have any smell either. So, some doubts still remain.

D

Deleted member 48726

Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions. Nice community you've got here. )

As to the subject matter, I have a feeling that gradually this smell is disappearing. So, probably it was indeed the smell of new electronics.

By the way, I had a chance to visit an electronics shop the other day and smell-tested two amps -- a Sony and an Akai, both from the lower price tier -- and found no smell whatsoever. Maybe exactly because those were already on the shelf of the shop for some time. Unfortunately, there was not Denon available to test. However, I've got an old (5 years) Denon micro-system which does not have any smell either. So, some doubts still remain.
Be careful. Going around smelling to things like that may put some people off..

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit that the slight burnt smell emanating from lit tubes is pleasant in a strange, industrial way.

pogo

Major Contributor
The Denon is not suitable for such loads, see also EPDR here: Link

Last edited:

JaapD

In my opinion the most important aspect you mentioned is "The smell does not depend on whether the amp is off or on". This means that the smell is not caused by over heating of one of the components inside.

I think the smell of new equipment will vanish over time....

I wish you a great listening experience with your new equipment!

Cheers,
JaapD.

OP
W

Wilbury

In my opinion the most important aspect you mentioned is "The smell does not depend on whether the amp is off or on". This means that the smell is not caused by over heating of one of the components inside.

I think the smell of new equipment will vanish over time....

I wish you a great listening experience with your new equipment!

Cheers,
JaapD.
Thanks. I will monitor this aromatic aspect and will report the outcome in a while. ;)

Top Bottom