• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

ririt

I just received my AVR4700h. I spent my saturday to set-up my new system built around this AVR. It is ocmposed of a Denon 4700h in full preamp mode + a combo of March Audio power amps. A stereo and a mono purifi amp for the front stage and 2 hypex amps (P252 and P122) for the surrounds and the zone 2 (outdoor patio). They power 3 Dali Rubicon LCR (L/C/R) and in ceiling speakers from Dlai (surrounds) and monitor audio (patio). A REL T9i subwoofer completes the system to allow 2.1 or 5.1.
I still have some fine tuning to do especially for movies but it already sounds great both for music and movies. Of note, after 5 hours of intensive use, the Denon was just warm. I did not observe any overheating.
Overall, I am very happy with this set-up!

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received my AVR4700h. I spent my saturday to set-up my new system built around this AVR. It is ocmposed of a Denon 4700h in full preamp mode + a combo of March Audio power amps. A stereo and a mono purifi amp for the front stage and 2 hypex amps (P252 and P122) for the surrounds and the zone 2 (outdoor patio). They power 3 Dali Rubicon LCR (L/C/R) and in ceiling speakers from Dlai (surrounds) and monitor audio (patio). A REL T9i subwoofer completes the system to allow 2.1 or 5.1.
I still have some fine tuning to do especially for movies but it already sounds great both for music and movies. Of note, after 5 hours of intensive use, the Denon was just warm. I did not observe any overheating.
Overall, I am very happy with this set-up!
Congrats. I sent mine back. I hope i wont regret it.

oupee

I will return it too. For the full price, with the problem of HDMI and terrible sound in stereo, it's a tragedy.

oupee

Yesterday I tried to connect to the CD input (direct) Topping D50S (tuned 2xOPA827) with my stereo speakers(without my stereo power amplifier). Sound is flat, lifeless without space. That can't be listened to. I also tried the player via HDMI to hear how the internal DAC works. That was a sound joke. It's like MP3s over cheap headphones. It doesn't make sense to add speakers over $ 500.
On the other hand, Audyssey with cheap 5.1.4 speakers sounds pretty good.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Having owned this AVR for a month now, and having spent a lot of time fiddling with it, I will start chiming in with some things I have learned in small bites.

The topic for this bite is, Saving a Preset Saves All or Almost All the Speakers Configuration Settings, Including Audyssey Settings. This is a very handy feature, because it allows you to create a preset for TV / video streaming / movies and another preset for music playback--each with potentially completely different settings. Each preset contains virtually all of the settings in the Speakers configuration, including Amp Assign, Speaker Configuration, Distances, Levels, Crossovers, Bass, 2 Channel Playback, etc. and a set of related Audyssey settings.

Random stream of consciousness follows. So sorry for the lack of organization...

I previously showed the procedure for turning off the front amps, while using the remaining amps for the center and surrounds. My front speakers are driven by an external Peachtree Nova 150 in Home Theater Bypass mode. This is all saved into Preset 1: my video preset.

Yesterday, a miracle happened, and I had the house to myself for several hours. I ran Audyssey again with 6 mic positions right around the MLP to optimize for music playback. The AVR was configured in Preamp mode, and only the front pair and subwoofer preamp outputs were active. I set everything to my liking in the MultiEQ app and saved the configuration to Preset 2. This is now my music preset. It allows me to run the AVR in its cleanest [and coolest] configuration and take advantage of its multitude of inputs, bass management features, and Audyssey room correction.

Even though I have better measuring DACs available, I prefer the features of the AVR enough, that I am willing to accept its middling performance compared with SOTA. Honestly, I think its pipelines are clean enough in preamp mode, that its flaws are not audible. I can't say I can tell the difference, anyway.

To change presets using the [terrible] Denon remote, press the Options button, scroll down to Speaker Preset, and select Preset 1 or Preset 2. You cannot make this automatic per input in a straightforward way, but you can save all the settings to a Quick Select button, which you then have to remember to press after selecting your input. After consulting the [terrible] manual, I figured out how to program a Quick Select button/command for BRD/DVD, Roku, Heos, and Digital Optical 1 inputs.

Unfortunately, I was not able to program my universal remote to associate a preset with an activity. The only available preset commands are PresetNext and PresetPrev, which do not comply with non-linear workflows. I was able to program the universal remote to send the Quick Select commands for each activity, so each activity has one of the 4 Quick Select buttons I programmed sent after powering everything on. It is klugey, but it works.

Preset 1 - Video Sources

1605103842253.png

1605103865944.png

1605103928325.png

1605103966761.png

1605104004554.png

Etc.

Preset 2 - Music Sources

1605103431468.png

1605103474820.png

1605103622770.png

1605103658029.png

1605103694092.png

Etc.

It is worth noting that Audyssey found the same speaker distances (to the inch) and levels (to the half dB) in 2 different measuring sessions weeks apart. The video session included 8 measurements spread all across the sofa. The audio session included 6 measurements spread around the center seat on the sofa. And, they match perfectly.

Last edited:

starmike

My 4700 got a firmware update today, but Denon's site doesn't have anything listed about what's in the update. Is there a Denon page or something that shows what's in the update?

Bello

The volume preset during power on is now fixed for the 6700H / 11-11 update.

How would you really know if "Center Spread" has been restored?? And do I really need it if I have front Height LR speakers? Two channel play + front Heights

Urgo

Forum Donor
The volume preset during power on is now fixed for the 6700H / 11-11 update.

How would you really know if "Center Spread" has been restored?? And do I really need it if I have front Height LR speakers? Two channel play + front Heights

Only with a Dolby source, in:
Audio / Surround Parameters / Center Spread

I also have high channels and I did not like it

After returning the 6700, I have a Marantz SR8015, I imagine the configuration will be the same

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are the other additions that will come with this update, as you can see the "Power On Volume Level" fix is also noted
  • Dolby Surround Upmixer Surround Parameter - Center Spread
  • DTS:X Pro (allows for 13Ch DTS:X/IMAX DTS:X/DTS Neural:X support - X6700H only)
  • Fixed Rate Link (FRL) display mode
  • Screen Saver
  • Bug fix for power on level issue
Update also applies to x8500 as well dtsx pro.

Oniiz86

Update also applies to x8500 as well dtsx pro.

Yes I know but this particular changelog pertains to the Denon 2020 models, that is why I didn't mention the X8500H, D+M flagship X8500H/AV8805 owners also received a special "feature" with last week's update broken Dolby Surround upmixing for 2CH sources which Sound United are looking into some sort of fix in a future firmware update. :)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I know but this particular changelog pertains to the Denon 2020 models, that is why I didn't mention the X8500H, D+M flagship X8500H/AV8805 owners also received a special "feature" with last week's update broken Dolby Surround upmixing for 2CH sources which Sound United are looking into some sort of fix in a future firmware update. :)
The Dolby Upmix bug for 2 channel sources is annoying for sure. The center channel bleed into surrounds certainly doesn’t sound good. Upmixing in DTS NeuralX or Auro 2D/3D still sounds very good to me, so not a huge deal compared to getting the DTS Pro update.

pedrob

Anyone care to comment?

I have an AVR-X4300H, which has all the features I need and I'm using it exclusively as a Pre/Pro, 5.2.4.

Should I consider upgrading to the AVR-X4700H?

Test results indicate it is a better performer, but what of the listening experience as a Pre/Pro?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone care to comment?

I have an AVR-X4300H, which has all the features I need and I'm using it exclusively as a Pre/Pro, 5.2.4.

Test results indicate it is a better performer, but what of the listening experience as a Pre/Pro?

I am in the same boat, with the 4400 used with external amps. I have no doubt the test results would have been approximately the same (other than the expected pre out SINAD if preamp mode is used), but can't prove it until Amir get either one fore the same tests he did on the 4700.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone care to comment?

What are your external amps? If they need more than 1.5v to drive fully, the preamp mode might be useful. If you external amps only take 1-1.5 to drive, not sure it would matter much.

oupee

A week ago I returned 4700 because the stereo played like an old radio and today I brought the SR8015. The difference in sound is incredible, it pays to pay extra and more amplifiers carry the need.

i am using google translator

Last edited:

pedrob

What are your external amps? If they need more than 1.5v to drive fully, the preamp mode might be useful. If you external amps only take 1-1.5 to drive, not sure it would matter much.
I'm using Hypex NC400 modules with each having a SMPS 600N400 power supply as you can see on my avatar with 3 channels in the case. The 4300 drives them perfectly.

To me the sound is fantastic, but I'm open to upgrading the Denon if the improvement is worthwhile.

pedrob

A week ago I returned 4700 because the stereo played like an old radio and today I brought the SR8015. The difference in sound is incredible, it pays to pay extra and more amplifiers carry the need.

i am using google translator
My best guess is the 4700 was faulty and should have been replaced free of charge.

Top Bottom