• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Confused here. Can the 4700(or the 6700) stream music via its USB input? By that I mean, can it stream music from services like Tidal or Amazon Music from a laptop pc over a USB cable? I understand that my AVR-X5200 cannot do that, but will play files from a USB stick.

The reason for my confusion is this statement from a new review of the 4700 today: "Of course, the X4700H can play high-resolution streams from its USB or network connections." I didn't think AVRs could do that from a laptop via USB. Perhaps, the author meant from a USB stick.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...eceivers/denon-avr-x4700h-av-receiver-review/

It looks like the answer is no according to the manual, which is online, BTW.

I have used the front HDMI for streaming from my laptop.

It can play streams from Tidal, Amazon HD, Qobuz, Spotify, etc. using its HEOS streaming feature. Like most of the third party streaming hosts, the UI is not as good as the real app, but it works. I use mine with Amazon HD on Android.

Last edited:

pedrob

Playing files off a USB memory stick should not be termed Streaming.

Reminds me of The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again.

Coeollae12

Hello I've been reading this for a long time and sorry for my personal english I have to make a decision I currently have a Marantz SR8012 which unfortunately only has RCA. It only has a 1.2 volt output Will change the new months back to Denon to the 2020 series this should have about 3.6 volts output on the RCA in the responsible mode For my Auro 3D 9.1 (2) setup, I would like to use the normal level of the speakers fire 500 watts each and lost to me, 2 NC502MP and 1 NC502MP module belong to it Growing from Apollon Now, however, I am faced with the decision NCMP6350 HYPEX-BASED CLASS D with 3 times NC502MP Or the ICEPOWER 1200AS2 BASED CLASS D with 3 times 1200as2 the 502 needs only 2.35 volts input the 1200as2 module helps 5 volts The MP module also have better measured values from my amateur point of view What do you think? Only have 24 hours left then the 10% voucher will expire at Apollon

Coeollae12

Hello I've been reading this for a long time and sorry for my personal english I have to make a decision I currently have a Marantz SR8012 which unfortunately only has RCA. It only has a 1.2 volt output Will change the new months back to Denon to the 2020 series this should have about 3.6 volts output on the RCA in the responsible mode For my Auro 3D 9.1 (2) setup, I would like to use the normal level of the speakers fire 500 watts each and lost to me, 2 NC502MP and 1 NC502MP module belong to it Growing from Apollon Now, however, I am faced with the decision NCMP6350 HYPEX-BASED CLASS D with 3 times NC502MP Or the ICEPOWER 1200AS2 BASED CLASS D with 3 times 1200as2 the 502 needs only 2.35 volts input the 1200as2 module helps 5 volts The MP module also have better measured values from my amateur point of view What do you think? Only have 24 hours left then the 10% voucher will expire at Apollon

pedrob

Do you need balanced/XLR outputs? My understanding is only Processors without amplifiers have that ability. (I hope my English is understandable for you.)

Edit

I a quick look at https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/onkyo-tx-nr3030/usa/onkyo-tx-nr5010/usa/ has the Onkyo TX-NR3030 with L/R XLR and Preout Level and Impedance 4.6 V/470 Ω. I didn't check any other specifications.

Last edited:

Coeollae12

Do you need balanced/XLR outputs? My understanding is only Processors without amplifiers have that ability. (I hope my English is understandable for you.)

Edit

I a quick look at https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/onkyo-tx-nr3030/usa/onkyo-tx-nr5010/usa/ has the Onkyo TX-NR3030 with L/R XLR and Preout Level and Impedance 4.6 V/470 Ω. I didn't check any other specifications.

Hello no, I don't need any XLR outputs For this reason I would also buy a Denon 4700 or 6700, as the Marantz preamps represent a step backwards for me and all other preamps on the SINAD market are bad or have no Auro 3D or no HDMI 2.1 The Denon models are just a temporary solution for me. Buy new AVRs every 2-3 years

Coeollae12

To make it easier to understand, I would like to have 500 watts for the 5.0 speakers from the 9.1 speaker setup

pedrob

Hello no, I don't need any XLR outputs For this reason I would also buy a Denon 4700 or 6700, as the Marantz preamps represent a step backwards for me and all other preamps on the SINAD market are bad or have no Auro 3D or no HDMI 2.1 The Denon models are just a temporary solution for me. Buy new AVRs every 2-3 years
The 4700 gets "I am happy to now recommend the AVR-X4700H", so I believe it would be hard to beat.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x4700-avr-review-updated.14493/

pedrob

To make it easier to understand, I would like to have 500 watts for the 5.0 speakers from the 9.1 speaker setup
My system is much the similar (5.2.4) and I went with Hypex NC400s for all channels. Not because they all need that power but because I wanted them all to have the same characterises.

Quoted specifications:
Peak power at 1KHz, THD=1% into 2Ω is 580W
Peak power at 1KHz, THD=1% into 4Ω is 400W
Peak power at 1KHz, THD=1% into 8Ω is 200W

Coeollae12

My system is much the similar (5.2.4) and I went with Hypex NC400s for all channels. Not because they all need that power but because I wanted them all to have the same characterises.

Quoted specifications:
Peak power at 1KHz, THD=1% into 2Ω is 580W
Peak power at 1KHz, THD=1% into 4Ω is 400W
Peak power at 1KHz, THD=1% into 8Ω is 200W

yes the NC400 absolutely top only it exceeds my expenses (Woman would be looked through ) the question is which modules would you recommend to me NC502MP or 1200as2?

pedrob

yes the NC400 absolutely top only it exceeds my expenses (Woman would be looked through ) the question is which modules would you recommend to me NC502MP or 1200as2?
It is probably a personal choice as much as anything, although I love my NC400s. Perhaps it depends on your time frame as you could use the amps in the Denon 4700 and add external amps as finances allow.

That's what I did with my Denon AVR-X4300H. I assembled my amps in kit form, so perhaps that helped with cost. I've got photos if it's something you might consider.

Coeollae12

It is probably a personal choice as much as anything, although I love my NC400s. Perhaps it depends on your time frame as you could use the amps in the Denon 4700 and add external amps as finances allow.

That's what I did with my Denon AVR-X4300H. I assembled my amps in kit form, so perhaps that helped with cost. I've got photos if it's something you might consider.

Thanks but I got the self-construction theme through I would choose these two variations

Favorite
https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-ncmp6350-hypex-based-multichannel-class-d-amplifier/

https://www.apollonaudio.com/icepow...s-d-multichannel-amplifier-6-channel-as-3600/

pedrob

A lot of people seem to prefer icepower. I can't comment as I only know my NC400s.

NAD M27 gets an excellent review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-and-measurements-of-nad-m27-pwr-amp.9036/ although it's 7 channels.

Sorry if that's no help.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
A lot of people seem to prefer icepower. I can't comment as I only know my NC400s.

NAD M27 gets an excellent review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-and-measurements-of-nad-m27-pwr-amp.9036/ although it's 7 channels.

Sorry if that's no help.

If true, I imagine there is a cost to performance consideration. Icepower performs well enough at a lower cost than similar power Hypex units--often half the cost. Or, in my case, I wanted some of the features of an integrated amp under a certain price point, which led me to an Icepower amp. Objectively, I prefer the performance of Hypex and Purifi, but my use case resulted in Icepower, even as I do not prefer it.

Ivanovitch_k

I tried an ice power based XTZ A2-300 with my x4700. Sent it back, it did not make any significant difference vs the integrated amps (and even kinda worse on the highs). Looking into a diy purifi build now.

pedrob

If true, I imagine there is a cost to performance consideration. Icepower performs well enough at a lower cost than similar power Hypex units--often half the cost. Or, in my case, I wanted some of the features of an integrated amp under a certain price point, which led me to an Icepower amp. Objectively, I prefer the performance of Hypex and Purifi, but my use case resulted in Icepower, even as I do not prefer it.
That's frustrating. Are you certain you don't want to upgrade to Hypex as finances allow? The 4700 seems adequate without external amps. I depends if the need the power immediately.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
That's frustrating. Are you certain you don't want to upgrade to Hypex as finances allow? The 4700 seems adequate without external amps. I depends if the need the power immediately.

It is mildly frustrating as I would rather have near SOTA, but certainly not tragic. B&O publishes detailed measurements of all their Icepower modules, and they measure well enough that the performance deficit is surely inaudible. I am not at all dissatisfied with the setup.

I use an external amp to improve the SINAD of the 4700. The front amps are turned off for video sources, and all amps are turned off for audio sources. The latter results in a SINAD of ~100dB, which is good enough to use the 4700 for bass management and room correction--even for critical listening considering the noise floor in my environment.

hutt132

Anyone notice that streaming Spotify from the receiver itself using HEOS has significantly more distortion than playing Spotify on a PC through HDMI input? It's rather quite disappointing for such an expensive receiver.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Anyone notice that streaming Spotify from the receiver itself using HEOS has significantly more distortion than playing Spotify on a PC through HDMI input? It's rather quite disappointing for such an expensive receiver.

I don't have Spotify. But, I do not perceive a difference using Amazon Music HD or my NAS with HEOS vs. other routes.

I believe Amir used HEOS to stream his test tone at one point and found it to be as clean a TOSLINK or SPDIF.

Last edited:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"I believe Amir used HEOS to stream his test tone at one point and found it to be as clean a TOSLINK or SPDIF"
Hutt is using the hdmi input that has a larger bandwidth than Toslink or SPDIF.
Using hdmi for Amazon music HD my AVR is getting 2.0 192khz or multichannel DD+.
It should be better quality than HEOS i guess.

Top Bottom