• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

oupee

I do not think so. The funny thing is that the SR60613 had better stereo and cinema sound. I'm sorry I sold it, this experience was expensive. When I had 4700, I thought the subwoofer broke. With 8015, I have the bass back in the cinema and much more.

i am using google translator

pedrob

I do not think so. The funny thing is that the SR60613 had better stereo and cinema sound. I'm sorry I sold it, this experience was expensive. When I had 4700, I thought the subwoofer broke. With 8015, I have the bass back in the cinema and much more.

Interesting. Do you prefer the SR6013 for stereo sound? For me the 8015 is overkill.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Anyone care to comment?

I have an AVR-X4300H, which has all the features I need and I'm using it exclusively as a Pre/Pro, 5.2.4.

Should I consider upgrading to the AVR-X4700H?

Test results indicate it is a better performer, but what of the listening experience as a Pre/Pro?

When listening to music, I use mine in preamp mode, as described above. It measures 97dB or better SINAD in that configuration. Whether that is an audible improvement over running it with some or all amps turned on with lower SINAD is a topic of much debate. There are plenty of "experts" claiming 80dB is all you need to overcome the noise floor in any given room and satisfy the envelope of human hearing. There are plenty of other "experts" claiming that SOTA is absolutely a valid and desirable target for even the casual non-audiophile.

In my specific use case, I can compare the 4700 in stereo direct mode with the DAC and pre integrated into my Nova 150 and level matched to 1dB with my SPL meter. I cannot definitively say I hear a difference in sound quality, nor detect a difference in dynamic range. The two devices sound very much the same to me. Because of its built-in bass management and Audyssey, the 4700 has become my default listening pathway for stereo music, as it helps with my nasty room modes and integrates my subs.

I also use the 4700 for home theater applications, where the front amps are turned off, but the other amps are driving the center and surrounds.

To be clear, my front pair are always driven by the external Nova 150 in its home theater bypass mode.

The upshot is, the 4700 in preamp mode sounds essentially the same to me as the Nova 150 when compared in like-for-like fashion, and I like it enough that I almost always use it for stereo listening. I don't know if that helps you at all.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Do you prefer the SR6013 for stereo sound? For me the 8015 is overkill.

Interesting it is, but such subjective reviews may not apply to you anyway unless supported by objective measurements such as those we get right here on ASR.

oupee

For me, the stereo from the HDMI input 6013 is better than the 4700. In the cinema, the 4700 has terribly weak bass from the subwoofer, and they also behave strangely. 8015 is expensive but it works. I bought it for 14 days used with a 25% discount. But here in Europe, everything is extra expensive. If I convert the full price according to the exchange rate to USD, it will cost us 3,700 USD.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
For me, the stereo from the HDMI input 6013 is better than the 4700. In the cinema, the 4700 has terribly weak bass from the subwoofer, and they also behave strangely. 8015 is expensive but it works. I bought it for 14 days used with a 25% discount. But here in Europe, everything is extra expensive. If I convert the full price according to the exchange rate to USD, it will cost us 3,700 USD.

I don't know how any of your comments could be true for the 4700, unless the unit you received was defective, or there was a configuration error of some kind. Nothing you have said is consistent with my experience with the unit. I find it to be versatile and to sound good enough to replace most of my separates. I do use an external amp for the front pair and do use it in preamp mode for stereo listening. Its internal amps drive my center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds. HDMI and SPDIF inputs sound the same to me.

I have two SVS SB-2000 subs. Their volume controls are set to 25%, and Audyssey set their levels to -4.5. They are plenty loud, and there is a ton of headroom still available. In-room measurements show a flat, upward sloping response to 20Hz, exactly as it should be.

As for sounding like "an old radio," I am similarly puzzled. Mine sounds exactly like Amir's measurements show it should. It is not SOTA, but it is good enough that its flaws are not audible in the real world--or not to my ears.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Something else must be wrong, there's no reason for the 4700 to behave the way you described if the unit was in perfect condition and the settings were not messed up in any way.

oupee

Maybe I had a really bad piece. The subwoofer has a Class B amplifier and with the 4700 was hot but played poorly and had little bass. With both Marantz plays great and is lukewarm, same cables and settings.

Ivanovitch_k

hey guys, I have my 4700h and a D-class 2ch amp for the L/R channels and i'm not sure If I set the AVR right for it to disconnect the front L/R amps.

Under amp assign i'm in 11ch mode with floor set to 5ch and all height to none. However, I can still get sound coming out from the built-in L/R amplified outputs... If I plug my amp to the preamps RCA, I also get sound as expected. But shouldn't I get nothing from AVR L/R amps ? I would've expected them to be fully disconnected ? seems I miss something there...

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
hey guys, I have my 4700h and a D-class 2ch amp for the L/R channels and i'm not sure If I set the AVR right for it to disconnect the front L/R amps.

Under amp assign i'm in 11ch mode with floor set to 5ch and all height to none. However, I can still get sound coming out from the built-in L/R amplified outputs... If I plug my amp to the preamps RCA, I also get sound as expected. But shouldn't I get nothing from AVR L/R amps ? I would've expected them to be fully disconnected ? seems I miss something there...

I don't have time to analyze your problem right now, but did you see this post?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-avr-review-updated.14493/page-66#post-557465

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone care to comment?

I have an AVR-X4300H, which has all the features I need and I'm using it exclusively as a Pre/Pro, 5.2.4.

Should I consider upgrading to the AVR-X4700H?

Test results indicate it is a better performer, but what of the listening experience as a Pre/Pro?
Not an expert on this but there could be an advantage of going to the 4700 for you. These Denon receivers seem to start clipping at around 1.4v. I think the the NC400 requires 2V to hit 200w/400w. I don’t know how sensitive the speakers are you use or how loud you like listen to. Unlike the older models, putting it in preamp mode you get great performance up to 2V. This may or may not be an issue but it could be a reason to upgrade that might be a worthwhile reason. I just picked up an NC400 based amp as well (NAD M27) and just got it hooked up and looking forward to using as well. Decided just to bite the bullet and not have to wonder and think about upgrading ...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using Hypex NC400 modules with each having a SMPS 600N400 power supply as you can see on my avatar with 3 channels in the case. The 4300 drives them perfectly.

To me the sound is fantastic, but I'm open to upgrading the Denon if the improvement is worthwhile.

It would depend on a number of things, including how much output you need from the NC400 (that would determine how much output you need from the 4300 pre out), whether you have the extra stage to increase its gain, and the threshold of audibility of distortions in your listening environment.

Regarding the last point, even if you need 2 V from the pre out to get the max peak spl you need, the 4300 will likely be able to stay below -75 dB THD+N, or much better if you use the amp assign to set the FL/FR to pre out. Whether there is audible difference for you between -75 dB or -95 dB THD+N depends on other factors. I would bet it won't matter to a lot of people, but only you can tell, by your own listening environment/conditions.

Here's an article to read, that should help you figure it out:

Interpreting THD Measurements - Think dB not Percent! - Benchmark Media Systems

sfdoddsy

On my Anthem I can set up different Profiles, ie Movie and Music and assign them to different inputs.

For example, Movie can have 80Hz crossover to my subs, ARC and a bit of bass boost, whilst Music can have 40Hz crossover, no ARC, and flat bass.

When watching AppleTV it automatically goes to the Movie profile. When I switch to CD it automatically goes to the Music profile.

Is it possible to do this on x4xxx Denons?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
On my Anthem I can set up different Profiles, ie Movie and Music and assign them to different inputs.

For example, Movie can have 80Hz crossover to my subs, ARC and a bit of bass boost, whilst Music can have 40Hz crossover, no ARC, and flat bass.

When watching AppleTV it automatically goes to the Movie profile. When I switch to CD it automatically goes to the Music profile.

Is it possible to do this on x4xxx Denons?

Yes. See this post:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-avr-review-updated.14493/page-67#post-565453

sfdoddsy

Thanks. Is this new, or do earlier models have it?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

sfdoddsy

Actually, I've just pored through the manual for the X4400 (which is the model I am considering) and it seems I can do most of what I want by adjusting the settings for 2ch Playback. As I read it I can have different bass management, crossovers and calibration levels. Which are the main things I'd like control of.

pedrob

Not an expert on this but there could be an advantage of going to the 4700 for you. These Denon receivers seem to start clipping at around 1.4v. I think the the NC400 requires 2V to hit 200w/400w. I don’t know how sensitive the speakers are you use or how loud you like listen to. Unlike the older models, putting it in preamp mode you get great performance up to 2V. This may or may not be an issue but it could be a reason to upgrade that might be a worthwhile reason. I just picked up an NC400 based amp as well (NAD M27) and just got it hooked up and looking forward to using as well. Decided just to bite the bullet and not have to wonder and think about upgrading ...
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

That NAD sounds awesome. I got a lot of enjoyment assembling my NC400 modules, and in the end they are probably very similar.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Confused here. Can the 4700(or the 6700) stream music via its USB input? By that I mean, can it stream music from services like Tidal or Amazon Music from a laptop pc over a USB cable? I understand that my AVR-X5200 cannot do that, but will play files from a USB stick.

The reason for my confusion is this statement from a new review of the 4700 today: "Of course, the X4700H can play high-resolution streams from its USB or network connections." I didn't think AVRs could do that from a laptop via USB. Perhaps, the author meant from a USB stick.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...eceivers/denon-avr-x4700h-av-receiver-review/

Top Bottom