• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

GalZohar

Hi All,

Hopefully this has not been answered countless times already but searches for "2.1" always leads me astray.
I am contemplating upgrading my DH590 (I know... I know) to this highly revered receiver and I was wondering if it stores different settings for different inputs.
I use my receiver for two things: Movies and Music and as such the receiver will be connected to my Apple TV and my turntable.
Question is: can I have series of different settings activated depending on the source I select ?
Namely, 5.1, Dynamic Volume EQ, etc. for the Apple TV and 2.1 (so Fronts + Subwoofer) along with another set of parameters when I use my turntable ?

Thank you in advance

As far as I'm aware the "audio" settings are per-input (although they are reset after calibration for all inputs and have to be re-configured for each one separately), and the "speakers" settings are global, although you can have 2 presets of them in the latest receivers (and each can have a different Audyssey calibration as well, mostly useful to compare the results of 2 different calibration runs).

jgiannakas

Hi All,

Hopefully this has not been answered countless times already but searches for "2.1" always leads me astray.
I am contemplating upgrading my DH590 (I know... I know) to this highly revered receiver and I was wondering if it stores different settings for different inputs.
I use my receiver for two things: Movies and Music and as such the receiver will be connected to my Apple TV and my turntable.
Question is: can I have series of different settings activated depending on the source I select ?
Namely, 5.1, Dynamic Volume EQ, etc. for the Apple TV and 2.1 (so Fronts + Subwoofer) along with another set of parameters when I use my turntable ?

Thank you in advance
Yes. You can setup profiles that switch inputs and set parameters on the AVR (up to 4)

Felks32

Hey everyone,

I’m currently using a Denon x1600h and wondering if it’s worth it to upgrade to a x3700h or x4700h.

It’ll be powering a pair of Paradigm Premier 700F’s and an SVS sb1000 pro subwoofer.

I don’t have any issues with the x1600 at all - just have the upgrade bug and figured the receiver is now the weak link in the home theatre. Or maybe the x1600h is “good enough” for the Premiers.

I’ve had people suggest an anthem mrx540 or the Yamaha A4a /a6a instead but I’m just not convinced.

Would appreciate any help you could provide.

jgiannakas

It’s worth upgrading just for audussey xt32 in my view. It will help out sort out room issues massively compared to I think the plain XT that yours has (?), especially with a sub involved.

Persik

Hey everyone,

I’m currently using a Denon x1600h and wondering if it’s worth it to upgrade to a x3700h or x4700h.

It’ll be powering a pair of Paradigm Premier 700F’s and an SVS sb1000 pro subwoofer.

I don’t have any issues with the x1600 at all - just have the upgrade bug and figured the receiver is now the weak link in the home theatre. Or maybe the x1600h is “good enough” for the Premiers.

I’ve had people suggest an anthem mrx540 or the Yamaha A4a /a6a instead but I’m just not convinced.

Would appreciate any help you could provide.
I have x1400h in basement and x3700h in living room to compare with. If I were you, I would not bother upgrading from x1600h unless you need to connect 7.2.2 setup or something like that. Buy some surrounds and heights speakers instead, you’ll appreciate ROI more than upgrading AVR, IMHO.
Cheers.

Felks32

I have x1400h in basement and x3700h in living room to compare with. If I were you, I would not bother upgrading from x1600h unless you need to connect 7.2.2 setup or something like that. Buy some surrounds and heights speakers instead, you’ll appreciate ROI more than upgrading AVR, IMHO.
Cheers.
Thanks. This particular room is only ever going to be a 2.1 system as I have a budget theatre build in my basement. Maybe I’ll focus my attention to completing that if the x1600 is suitable for this use case.

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes. You can setup profiles that switch inputs and set parameters on the AVR (up to 4)

The remote supports 4 but there are 5 available if you use something like a Harmony Remote, at least for the 3000 series and above.

Trell

Major Contributor
Cheers.

A big reason to upgrade is to use XT32 instead of XT that is just plain bad.

GalZohar

While it's pretty much guaranteed to get better results with XT32, the real question you should ask yourself is what else can you upgrade with the money and maybe that can provide a greater benefit.

Felks32

While it's pretty much guaranteed to get better results with XT32, the real question you should ask yourself is what else can you upgrade with the money and maybe that can provide a greater benefit.
I didn’t even use the audyssey xt setup that I have…should I be?

Felks32

I thought about just buying a power amp but this x1600 doesn’t have preouts either.

howard416

(pre-emptive apology for not reading the whole thread)

Is it possible to plug this into a Windows PC and have it act as a sound card + amp(s), while feeding it through CamillaDSP for a low-component-count multi-way active system?

GalZohar

(pre-emptive apology for not reading the whole thread)

Is it possible to plug this into a Windows PC and have it act as a sound card + amp(s), while feeding it through CamillaDSP for a low-component-count multi-way active system?

Not sure how CamillaDSP works, but if you connect it through HDMI output it appears as a surround sound audio device, so at the very least 7.1 should work. Not sure about other formats like Atmos, from other posts seems like at least Atmos should work if you enable passthrough in your player.
If you use something that acts like a virtual audio device for windows, it'll need to know to forward the audio to the receiver's audio device.

It will also appear as another monitor which you can configure as you wish in the display settings, but I know there are some issues with HDR and no support for Dolby Vision and probably no HDR10+ either.

soberego

Hi Folks,

I apologize if this isn’t in the proper thread but here is my predicament:
I recently acquired a x3700h and a few KEF speakers, among which a Kube 10b.
Current system is a 5.1, audyssey calibrated, small speakers w/ crossover at 80hz, LFE+main etc.
The problem is as follows: the subwoofer has a hard time waking up, the LED stays red when listening to Bluetooth with a Stereo setting. However, no issues when connecting my turntable or the AppleTV.
On the iOS Denon app, the output is indicated as being (FL, FR + SW) yet no output and Red LED.
The SW has a current -5.5db correction set by XT32 and there is obviously no « auto » toggle on it.
My interpretation was that LFE+main would guarantee a SW output in almost all sound setting and yet.

Thoughts ?

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi Folks,

Current system is a 5.1, audyssey calibrated, small speakers w/ crossover at 80hz, LFE+main etc.
The problem is as follows: the subwoofer has a hard time waking up, the LED stays red when listening to Bluetooth with a Stereo setting. However, no issues when connecting my turntable or the AppleTV.
On the iOS Denon app, the output is indicated as being (FL, FR + SW) yet no output and Red LED.
The SW has a current -5.5db correction set by XT32 and there is obviously no « auto » toggle on it.
My interpretation was that LFE+main would guarantee a SW output in almost all sound setting and yet.

Thoughts ?

This is the reason why my current subwoofers has a 12V trigger input as your problem was the same as I had when listening at a low volume.

Denon AVR stores many settings on a per input basis. While playing using Bluetooth check various settings such as Audyssey is enabled with Dynamic EQ. DSP overrides like Direct can disable Audyssey. Check that stereo bass management is enabled in stereo as stereo has separate settings.

You can also get a powerstrip that activates using a 12V trigger to turn subwoofer on/off. Some powerstrips triggers by power used on one of the inlets

If you need want a new subwoofer buy one with a trigger input. Your 3700 has one of those.
Unless you like double bass just turn off lfe+mains; it won’t do anything useful for getting a stronger signal to your subwoofer to wake it up.

Last edited:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Folks,

Thoughts ?
After audyssey correction, you can turn down the gain on the subwoofer, but up the gain in the receiver. This should wake it up easier. Though some subs just have frustratingly useless sleep/wake features and it may be time for a different one.

soberego

Thank you folks.

Alright, since I purchased that one recently, I’ll try beefing up the signal rather than changing it altogether.

Otherwise, the AVR is definitely worth it. Especially if I managed to solve this issue.

prutsaers

Hello all. I have the Denon AVR-X3700H. The AVR is connected to a set of Sonus Faber Lumia III speakers. To improve the sound of playng music I am using the RME ADI-2 DAC to listen to music (Qobuz). It is connected to the aux inputs of the AVR and I am using Pure Direct mode. I am happy with the sound, but I am also wondering if I can improve more. So I am thinking to add a Hypex NC400 based DIY stereo amp to improve sound. I am just wondering if this will make any difference. Or if I should just keep the money and be satisfied with what I have. #hifi-fever

Top Bottom