• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
HDMI is a digital output. You can always get a gadget to convert the hdmi audio to optical or coax - see https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Dolby...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
An HDMI extractor like this cannot do multi channel decoding, so on the optical output you have the core sound signal as in the HDMI input in a low bitrate format, like either 2CH if the input signal is PCM, dolby digital if the input is DD, DTS if the input is DTS or DTS hd-ma.
You cannot use it to extract single channel from an HDMI AVR with this.

Triplefun

See the description....
HDMI LPCM 5.1 7.1 To Analog Surround Decoder - 4Kx2K Support
This innovative HDMI audio processor is a great digital audio decoder/converter solution for decoding uncompressed digital LPCM 7.1 or 5.1 channel sound into analog surround format for existing analog amplifier or receiver.
It can also extract those compressed Bitstream audio such as Dolby Digital, AC3 and DTS 5.1 through its optical audio output for further decoding by your A/V receiver.

This HDMI processor supports direct pass-through of all HDMI 3D video and deep color content. The HDMI input supports resolutions up to 4Kx2K.

This device has an internal repeater function built in to make sure its HDMI output will pass the same sharp detailed images with original digital audio sound maintained all the way to the display or the receiver end.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
See the description....
HDMI LPCM 5.1 7.1 To Analog Surround Decoder - 4Kx2K Support
This innovative HDMI audio processor is a great digital audio decoder/converter solution for decoding uncompressed digital LPCM 7.1 or 5.1 channel sound into analog surround format for existing analog amplifier or receiver.
It can also extract those compressed Bitstream audio such as Dolby Digital, AC3 and DTS 5.1 through its optical audio output for further decoding by your A/V receiver.

This HDMI processor supports direct pass-through of all HDMI 3D video and deep color content. The HDMI input supports resolutions up to 4Kx2K.

This device has an internal repeater function built in to make sure its HDMI output will pass the same sharp detailed images with original digital audio sound maintained all the way to the display or the receiver end.
Yes, to analog but not to digital

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
You could always take the preamp output (5.1) and use a converter to generate 5.1 optical.
The purpose was to test the difference of quality between the internal DAC of the Denon and the adi-2. If you put a cheapo dac then an adc in the chain, the test is worth nothing.

witwald

Forum Donor
As it is now, most quality speakers will have their well designed treble sound curve butchered by the default Audyssey setup should the user not manually limit Audyssey correction to below 500Hz.
It's a good feature that Audyssey allows the user to limit "room correction" to frequencies below 500Hz. It would be a significant limitation if it didn't.

Persik

Does anyone stream from Nvidia Shield Pro via X3700h?
Do you use “lip sync” or audio delay? Is there a method to set audio delay?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

GalZohar

Does anyone stream from Nvidia Shield Pro via X3700h?
Do you use “lip sync” or audio delay? Is there a method to set audio delay?
Thank you in advance.
I use it with the X2700h and didn't use any sync features, everything just worked out of the box.

Annoyed82

What have people's experiences been with using the Multi EQ/Dynamic EQ/Dynamic volume? I've experimented a little and found:
1.You don't have to turn the volume as high to get the same 'loudness' compared to having these features turned off, in fact 0-30 on the absolute scale is no longer redundant and actually produces audible sound.
2.It sounds more immersive, especially on the D'Surround setting (although speech sometimes sounds likes its coming from surrounds as well as center speaker)
3.Some higher frequency sounds can sound a little harsher
4.I can't hear any real difference between setting the compression settings to light, medium or Heavy (isn't less/no compression technically better as it gives 'lossless' audio?)
5.Using a decibel meter, the readings don't jump around as much, its more stable
6.When you turn the volume up past about 50 on the absolute scale, there seems to be 'diminishing returns' when it comes to overall loudness, whereas, with these features turned off, it takes a smaller increase in the volume setting to get a noticeable increase in loudness.

Just my subjective experience, what are your thoughts? Is there a 'right' approach to these settings or is it purely personal preference?

GalZohar

Compression comes at the cost of quality, as you change the balance, but allows you to still notice less loud details without the loud stuff being too loud. Use it only if you really need it (mostly for louder dialogue in movies at low volume levels). If you can turn up the volume enough to hear dialogue without it and without your speakers/amplifiers distorting and without waking anyone up - That's always preferable.

Dynamic EQ boosts back bass frequencies and surrounds (and a minor treble boost) as you lower volume, which is important to keep things sounding balanced for those who listen at negative volume levels, which is almost everyone. Especially for movies, which are mixed according to a standard, so it is possible to know how much boost is needed (reference level offset 0). For any other content you need to guess the offset, although 10 often works well for music and TV shows.

The SPL difference of dynamic volume on/off will be non-constant throughout the program, due to its dynamic nature.
Dynamic EQ SPL difference depends on which frequencies are present, as only the lower bass gets a significant boost.

Masza

I have a back order with the old price (here 1249 €). Should I keep it or just cancel? Current price is 1499 € which is ridiculous considering the current DAC.

At the moment I'm using Oppo UDP-203 as a pre-amplifier for my active monitors for movie and music (BD) watching. This setup works fine as Oppo has a volume control and level and distance configuration for speakers. Would it be better to just wait for x800 and hope that it has AKM DACs?

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a back order with the old price (here 1249 €). Should I keep it or just cancel? Current price is 1499 € which is ridiculous considering the current DAC.

At the moment I'm using Oppo UDP-203 as a pre-amplifier for my active monitors for movie and music (BD) watching. This setup works fine as Oppo has a volume control and level and distance configuration for speakers. Would it be better to just wait for x800 and hope that it has AKM DACs?
I'm on the same boat with my x3700h, estimated delivery is 17.1 and been wondering if I should just cancel or return it after contacting denon about the chip used in my unit. Or is there a 0% chance they would have changed back to using akm chips? I am under the impression that the akm factory should be up and running already.

buz

Forum Donor
Is there any solid guess as to when x800h should arrive?

Guenselmann

I'm on the same boat with my x3700h, estimated delivery is 17.1 and been wondering if I should just cancel or return it after contacting denon about the chip used in my unit. Or is there a 0% chance they would have changed back to using akm chips? I am under the impression that the akm factory should be up and running already.
If your unit will have a serial number higher than xxxxxxx70000 it will most(!) likely not have an AKM DAC. I doubt the current series of AVRs will ever switch back to AKM now that Sound United seemingly got away with this whole affair.
Anyway, if you ordered for the old lower price and you are okay with uncertain performance due to Sound United's shady practices, I would keep the order unless you don't really need an AVR right now or you have an alternative product in mind.

New MSRP for x3700h in Germany seems to be 1399€ from 1199€ by the way. And I already felt slightly ripped off for ordering in September -_-

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your unit will have a serial number higher than xxxxxxx70000 it will most(!) likely not have an AKM DAC. I doubt the current series of AVRs will ever switch back to AKM now that Sound United seemingly got away with this whole affair.
Anyway, if you ordered for the old lower price and you are okay with uncertain performance due to Sound United's shady practices, I would keep the order unless you don't really need an AVR right now or you have an alternative product in mind.

New MSRP for x3700h in Germany seems to be 1399€ from 1199€ by the way. And I already felt slightly ripped off for ordering in September -_-
well no alternatives in mind at this price point, I have had the speakers just sitting in my sons room just waiting for the avr to arrive for several months already so I guess it wouldn't be impossible to wait a few months more if the new pioneer or onkyo models would fit my purpose and wallet. But man the waiting has been frustrating, the thought of the avr under performing if something proper comes available right after I get mine is annoying to say the least. Not sure at all if I would hear any differences between the units or would be missing out on anything (this being my first surround setup) but the knowledge of it is enough to bother me (that can very well change when I hook up the setup and it turns out to be good)

Reactions: buz

Masza

My case is that I don't really need an AVR at the moment. I could wait. Ofc a fairly good room correction, automated level and distance configuration with higher precision for distance, to be able route all audio via my multi-channel setup, eARC etc. are tempting but I bought a Sony A80J approx a month ago and though it has fantastic picture quality the ARC stopped functioning properly with the Oppo. I'm a bit worried there could be issues with the Sony-Denon relationship also as I've read comments regarding some problems with that (e.g. Sony TVs turn on the Denon AVRs at night by themselves). As the Denon isn't even the top notch revision (AKM DACs) and if I for example can't get the eARC to function properly, the irritation is guaranteed.

banjo!

I'm new to this receiver. I'm currently using Xbox One as a 4K player. It is plugged into gaming on the receiver. When I'm watching a 4K movie, it's saying Xbox sound (or something like that) on the receiver.

Should I switch the sound mode while watching a 4K movie?

Also, since I'm using it mostly for movies and not gaming, should I put the Xbox HDMI into the 4K location on the receiver instead of gaming?

Last edited:

soberego

Hi All,

Hopefully this has not been answered countless times already but searches for "2.1" always leads me astray.
I am contemplating upgrading my DH590 (I know... I know) to this highly revered receiver and I was wondering if it stores different settings for different inputs.
I use my receiver for two things: Movies and Music and as such the receiver will be connected to my Apple TV and my turntable.
Question is: can I have series of different settings activated depending on the source I select ?
Namely, 5.1, Dynamic Volume EQ, etc. for the Apple TV and 2.1 (so Fronts + Subwoofer) along with another set of parameters when I use my turntable ?

Thank you in advance

Top Bottom