• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

danillll

For example, you entered "Yes" to baffle wall, but I assume you don't have a baffle wall. Also, you entered 85 dB for your targeted program SPL, I used 75 dB, or 95 dB with the build in THX 20 dB "headroom" because I know you won't be able to achieve 105 dB anyway so I just wanted to try and see if 95 dB is achievable.

The in-wall does provide some baffle effect, it might not be the 6db but close, maybe 4 db?

You wish! Put it this way, the X3700H is rated 105 W into 8 Ohms. So in theory, it is safe to rate it 105/2 = 52.5 W into 4 Ohms based on current. As a given voltage output, the current flow to a 4 ohm load will double that flows into an 8 Ohm load.

In practice, it will actually deliver more "power" into a 4 Ohm resistor load as shown in Amir's measurements, but that would be based on shorter duration. It is for that reason that Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and others all want you to set to impedance to 4 Ohm when using 4 Ohm speakers, because if they don't they would not likely get the regulatory approval they need to sell in various markets.

Right, you are assuming here that we are maintaining the same amperage, but as you said , lowere resistance will result of higher current and in turn higher power. How much current can this amplifier emits, I don't think this is documented and for how long....
The specs on denon website for 6 ohm is 135watt, so worst case scenario, it should be close to that number for 4 ohm?

From denon:
105 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)

thepiecesfit

Forgive me if I’m missing something obvious but amps off 1.1v and amps on 1.4v. Shouldn’t the opposite be true? That is more clean voltage with the LR amps disconnected.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The in-wall does provide some baffle effect, it might not be the 6db but close, maybe 4 db?

Right, you are assuming here that we are maintaining the same amperage, but as you said , lowere resistance will result of higher current and in turn higher power. How much current can this amplifier emits, I don't think this is documented and for how long....
The specs on denon website for 6 ohm is 135watt, so worst case scenario, it should be close to that number for 4 ohm?

From denon:
105 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)

Exactly, the much lower number I gave was based on maintaining the same amperage. The reason is, without knowing the actual rated current based on whatever standard or rules (such as FTC's), we cannot assume anything else, but we can, as I did, reference to available bench test results.

So if you want a guaranteed number, then the safe bet is calculate it, simply using Ohm's law. So we know Denon rated the device 105 W, 8 Ohms, then for 4 Ohms, based on the same current, you get half the power output into a 4 Ohm resistor.

As you know, for a real high current amp, the output into 4 Ohm would be almost doubled that into 8 ohms because in that case, current is not the limiting factor (hence called "high current" amp.

Back to your question of "How much current can this amplifier emits", all we know for sure is that according to Amir's test:
That's about 180 W into 4 Ohms at 1% THD.

Ohm's law: V=IR (I is current, R is resistance, V is voltage)
Power formula: P = V^/R, or = I^2*R

from the power formula, I = square root of P*R = square root of 180/4 = 6.7 A
Obviously you cannot use the current value, that is 6.7 A to back calculate the power output into 6 Ohm and 8 Ohms because those internal amplifiers won't be able to sustain the voltage required to drive 6.7 A into a 4 Ohm resistor except for a very short duration. How short? You an take a look of the peak power Amir measured, following the CEA standard for the so called Dynamic output:

At 1% THD into 4 Ohm, it was about 240 W, using the power formula again, I = square root of 240/4 = 7.75 A

So the answer to your question is:

a) With two channel driven simultaneously, the X3700H can deliver 6.7 A, but it will NOT be a continuous rating. For the exact duration, you have to ask @amirm (I am hoping he may see this and tell us something) what would be his best estimated safe duration at the 6.7 A output level. I would say no more than 1 minute, but that's just a guess.

b) It would be 7.75 A for at least the duration Amir use for the dynamic output test following the CEA standard/rule, my guess is, the test duration was 20 ms, but again that's my guess, Amir would have to tell us what it really was.

Into a lower resistance than 4 Ohm, the current would be even higher than 7.75 A, but the duration would be even shorter than 20 ms, and it would also depend on how aggressive the protection circuitry is, that is how high the current it would allow before shutting down the unit.

1613916797684.png

danillll

As you know, for a real high current amp, the output into 4 Ohm would be almost doubled that into 8 ohms because in that case, current is not the limiting factor (hence called "high current" amp.

Back to your question of "How much current can this amplifier emits", all we know for sure is that according to Amir's test:
That's about 180 W into 4 Ohms at 1% THD.

Ohm's law: V=IR (I is current, R is resistance, V is voltage)
Power formula: P = V^/R, or = I^2*R

Right, this was my understanding and how I interpreted them, but I didn't do the correlation to @amirm data set as I was not sure I 100% understood what they all mean, with your explanation, it all makes sense now.
I instead used the 6ohms rating from the vendor 135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) to calculate the current, which cam up to 4.8A
But with Amir's data and tests, like you've said, it proves that the current can get even higher!

With the imp vs freq for those speakers, which ranges from 4 to ~9 ohms, based on this chart, I am hoping that the amp will do even better than I expected (ie: I initially assumed that impedance is constantly 4ohms)

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 10.12.16 AM.jpg

I bought the receiver and I will run some tests once I get everything setup.

On a different topic, how do people address the remote control if the receiver is sitting in a different room (like: server room)? Can the remote control works with bluetooth or only IR? I think there are 2 options, use the smart phone app or get a harmony with a blueooth hub, but I am hoping for a more elegant solution to keep using the standard remote

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a different topic, how do people address the remote control if the receiver is sitting in a different room (like: server room)? Can the remote control works with bluetooth or only IR? I think there are 2 options, use the smart phone app or get a harmony with a blueooth hub, but I am hoping for a more elegant solution to keep using the standard remote

While the Denon remote requires a direct line of sight you could use the "Denon 2016 AVR Remote" App that works on iPad, iPhone or other platforms. There is also a computer IP interface for the Denon. I don't like the computer interface as well as I found it's not as reliable as the Denon App. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.DenonAVRRemote&hl=en_US&gl=US

Another option I use is Audirvana. It has a DLNA interface to the Denon receiver that lets me remotely select music to play on the Denon. I can either use the computer to select music and play it via wifi to the Denon receiver OR they also have an app for phone or tablet that lets you control the computer remotely - which in turn controls the streaming to the Denon.

You could also use old tech like an IR link... but I think you will find the remote control via the Denon app on a tablet to be superior. Have fun!

Lumper

WoW what a review, I understood about 1% of it, lol.
I did just decide to get the X3700 when a friend sent me this link to look at this review and I am glad I did, what a great resource.

My question is I heard people saying the price point for this X3700 to be around 1100.00 but I am finding it to be 1299.99 everywhere I look, has the price gone up or do you folks have a better source to purchase from?
IS it still available for less than 1300.00 anywhere?
Thank you for all the helpful information

Zedly

Forum Donor
Accessories4Less has great deals on factory refurbished units. I got my X3600 from them last year, and it was indistinguishable from a new unit.

Lumper

Accessories4Less has great deals on factory refurbished units. I got my X3600 from them last year, and it was indistinguishable from a new unit.

Thanks, they have it for 999.99 But they are out of stock, LOL.

Have you ordered from them before?
I'm all for finding new dealers to buy from if they are legit and others have used them with success, Ive never heard of them, are they reputable?
EDIT:
I didnt realize it was a refurb, thats a no go for me, needs to be new.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buying a used Denon from A4L is something I would never do again. My Denon receiver died after 5 months and it took Denon three months to correct the issue. Denon receivers don't travel well. Once you buy a refurb that was shipped to another owner, shipped back, looked over cosmetically and shipped to A4L and then shipped to you its been stressed by the impact of delivery services which can significantly reduce longevity.

My best advice, if you want a Denon buy it new from a dealer that's willing to offer a small discount. You get a 3 year warrantee instead of 1 year and it will last a lot longer than a refurb. Having dealt with Denon recently for a receiver repair it's not something I want to do again... Three months trying to get Denon to fix the receiver is just too long. They finally do the right thing, but they don't mind making you do without for several months.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dude on Listen up was great I told him I wanted a better price than 1299.99 he said 1199.99 shipped no hesitation so thanks man a hundy saved is a hundy earned.

Yeah, I bought a Denon receiver from Listenup at a discount as well. They are really good at offering new Denon receivers at great prices.

Lumper

Buying a used Denon from A4L is something I would never do again. My Denon receiver died after 5 months and it took Denon three months to correct the issue. Denon receivers don't travel well. Once you buy a refurb that was shipped to another owner, shipped back, looked over cosmetically and shipped to A4L and then shipped to you its been stressed by the impact of delivery services which can significantly reduce longevity.

My best advice, if you want a Denon buy it new from a dealer that's willing to offer a small discount. You get a 3 year warrantee instead of 1 year and it will last a lot longer than a refurb. Having dealt with Denon recently for a receiver repair it's not something I want to do again... Three months trying to get Denon to fix the receiver is just too long. They finally do the right thing, but they don't mind making you do without for several months.

Thanks man, I have no intention of buying a used or refurb it has to be all brand new.
I am talking to this dude at listen up or whatever he offered me 100.00 off and free shipping, BUT to be honest, the shipping scares me, Ill either drive to a shop I can get a deal or or just pay the 1299.99 and go to bestbuy so I can get it myself and a geek squad to back it up,

Zedly

Forum Donor
Have you ordered from them before?
I'm all for finding new dealers to buy from if they are legit and others have used them with success, Ive never heard of them, are they reputable?

Yes, they are legit, and I bought my unit through them. Mine was in pristine condition, and I have had no problems at all with it.

Lumper

Yeah, I bought a Denon receiver from Listenup at a discount as well. They are really good at offering new Denon receivers at great prices.
How was the shipping? take a long time, Im in Ct they are in Colorado.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How was the shipping? take a long time, Im in Ct they are in Colorado.

I got my new Denon receiver from ListenUp.com in three days. It was in great shape. The Denon box for new product is a bit stronger than the box my Refurb Denon came in from Accessories for Less.

Lumper

I got my new Denon receiver from ListenUp.com in three days. It was in great shape. The Denon box for new product is a bit stronger than the box my Refurb Denon came in from Accessories for Less.

OK, cool, thanks for the information.
I dunno, I was all for it save 100.00 then the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe its a bad idea why enter any risk into the equation when everything else is going so well.

Just the idea that if I am unlucky and it gets damaged, dropped or otherwise abused, shipping it back is a pain and takes time, adds frustration and can ruin an otherwise happy day, I think if he had said 999.99 shipped then ok, now I have a reason to take a little risk, but for 100.00 I think Ill just go to Best Buy and grab one in person so if I do have an issue they are 15 minutes away.
With the amount of money I am spending on all this, 100.00 isn't going to make much difference at this point Im in about 6600.00 so give or take a hundred.
Sure its speaker, wire banana clips, and strippers, maybe a couple mounts, BUT then I am going to be lying awake at night worrying about my receiver taking a cross country trip.
LOL between ptsd and ocd I think I talked myself out of shipping.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Denon receiver shipped from Listenup.com again. There is a lot less risk buying a new unit than a refurb. One trip by UPS is fine... the 3x or more shipping trips a refurb takes to and from customers/dealers is another story. Denon receivers are amazingly complex. It may be hard to detect damage in all sections of the receiver without thoroughly testing each channel and feature. For example, if a height amp is damaged and you don't use more than 5.1 for the 1st year you may not even know the malfunction exists - until that day you buy a new set of height speakers. :p

I'm sure BestBuy likes your logic.

Top Bottom