• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Delta-sigma vs “Multibit”: what’s the big deal?

Esotechnik

Attachments

• analog_devices_Data-Conversion-Handbook_Chapter5.pdf.png
    analog_devices_Data-Conversion-Handbook_Chapter5.pdf.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 131
  • analog_devices_Data-Conversion-Handbook_5.40_pdf.png
    analog_devices_Data-Conversion-Handbook_5.40_pdf.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 127

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have no idea what "termo-EMF performance leak" means.

The histogram test is a standard data converter test and delta-sigma designs do just fine on it. What "statistical characteristics" are spoiled?

I tend to use ENOB as a measure of performance, which in turn is based upon SINAD. If you want to read about testing, you can look at references like IEEE Standards 1057 (Transient recorders), 1241 (ADCs), and 1658 (DACs).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The ones at -142.5 dB? In response to -100 dB output and below? Seriously? The spectral distribution of quantization (and other) noise is quite different for delta-sigma designs. You could just as easily say that, since the noise floor of the DX7s is much lower than the ML 360 between 192 and 196 Hz, that the DX7s is a much better design.

I still think we are being played here...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The ones at -142.5 dB? In response to -100 dB output and below? Seriously? The spectral distribution of quantization (and other) noise is quite different for delta-sigma designs. You could just as easily say that, since the noise floor of the DX7s is much lower than the ML 360 between 192 and 196 Hz, that the DX7s is a much better design.

What are you talking about, I can hear a needle fall just fine while standing next to an F22 during take off.

bennetng

Major Contributor

Actually the Topping has better linearity. The peaks snapped to every 5dB grid closer than the Mark Levinson.

Esotechnik

In response to -100 dB output and below? Seriously?
At medium and high frequencies, the results should be worse.
If you set a goal to use the SAR ADC to identify all the D-S DACs errors (artefacts), then it is possible, but this website will cease to bring advertising to mainstream producers.
If you drive the "objectionable" R2R DAC into clipping, it will become worse than others according to the measurement results.

I'm familiar with the temperature effect on a ladder
According to unverified information, scientific (non-audio) true 20-bit ADCs (1997yr) and 24 bit DACs are made on heat-conducting ceramic boards and placed in a thermostat.
https://www.baspi.ch/low-noise-high-resolution-dac

Ceramic also: https://news.thomasnet.com/fullstor...rk-is-designed-for-a-d-d-a-conversions-478945

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
At medium and high frequencies, the results should be worse.

I am not sure the relevance of this; the performance of virtually all data converters gets worse as frequency goes up, though the rise over the audio band is usually small.

If you set a goal to use the SAR ADC to identify all the D-S DACs errors (artefacts), then it is possible, but this website will cease to bring advertising to mainstream producers.

Why would I want to compare a D-S to an SAR DAC? What are you going to compare the SAR to and how do you de-embed its own artifacts? Why not make measurements using any of the known standards and compare to ideal performance?

This website does not have mainstream manufacturing advertisements.

According to unverified information, scientific (non-audio) true 20-bit ADCs (1997yr) and 24 bit DACs are made on heat-conducting ceramic boards and placed in a thermostat.
https://www.baspi.ch/low-noise-high-resolution-dac

Ceramic also: https://news.thomasnet.com/fullstor...rk-is-designed-for-a-d-d-a-conversions-478945

I have built ADCs and DACs on a lot of different substrates. Ceramic is a poor heat conductor, BTW; alumina might be better, and diamond substrates do real well in that department (seriously, using synthetic diamond material). But I still do not see the relation to this discussion.

I see no point in continuing this. Seems like a disinformation campaign, or just somebody getting his kicks from wasting other folks' time.

1577732118506.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For frequencies < fs/2 the NOS filterless DAC is perfectly accurate (Ok, there is some attenuation towards fs/2 caused by the sample and hold).
All inaccuracies are in the folded spectra >fs/2. If the rest of the system does not make any new signals out of these in the <fs/2 range, and the ear perfectly ignores all of these folded spectra, a NOS dac could sound ok :)

Incorrect. It does NOT adhere to the sampling theorem at all. It needs a reconstruction filter for that to happen, soft/firm-ware and/or hardware.
Audible frequencies above 5kHz are amplitude modulated which is what causes the 'roll-off' its not similar to an RC roll-off.
A filterless NOS DAC can sound good with 96 and 192kHz files.
Just look at the actual waveforms not just at a sweeped frequency response with 44.1kHz files.

The ear ignores the ultrasonics just fine.
Some tweeters and amplifiers do not.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no "deal" apart from hype and snake oil. The Holo Audio May proved that multibit or R-2R DACs can indeed match or beat chip-based implementations... At the immense cost of $4000 USD.

How is this thread 16 pages long and growing anyway?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Hayabusa

Incorrect. It does NOT adhere to the sampling theorem at all. It needs a reconstruction filter for that to happen, soft/firm-ware and/or hardware.
Audible frequencies above 5kHz are amplitude modulated which is what causes the 'roll-off' its not similar to an RC roll-off.
Amplitude modulation?
Ok, I dont think so, I will do a simulation to see if you are right, but to my knowledge a 10Khz tone out of a NOS DAC will have a constant 10KHz component attenuated by -0.7 dB and a lot harmonics above Fs/2.
Do you have a reference to that amplitude modulation?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Attachments

• 1577745301195.png
    1577745301195.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 117

Hayabusa

Top Bottom