• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dCS Bartok Review

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Can we just choose to ignore this thread from that point on? The more we post on and about it ... the more we encourage what is IMHO, trolling.

not one more electron would be spent by me on this. I’m off.
Yes, it's cruel to mock the afflicted.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
$15k, you could get a nice motorcycle for that much.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes indeed, but where can you use its performance legally?

II wasn't thinking of a superbike. Something more along the lines of an adventure tourer.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Some motorcycles have audio systems. So you could spend as much for cabling as on the bike.

Gotta be big enough for the trailer with the solar battery pack.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Who cares about cables when a 2-stroke sings!

Last edited:
OP
T

TwoTrack

Hi thanks for the review. I enjoy Part Time Audiophile's coverage. They always have some really nice looking gear that I would want to hear.

Thank you very much. We do subjective coverage which is apparently not to everyone's liking here. ;) I think the combination of objective measurements and subjective listening is best when evaluating components.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. We do subjective coverage which is apparently not to everyone's liking here. ;) I think the combination of objective measurements and subjective listening is best when evaluating components.
Hey,

Needless to say, I beg to differ. Still, I respect your courage to post such things here. ;)

I'm also OK about subjective reviews, once they come with, at least, measurements to back up. Then I will, or not, give it some credits. The main issue I see with yours, is your mention of nonsense, useless audiophile digital cables. Still a nice read, but not that much relevant about true objective performance. :cool:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I mean this in all seriousness: With a Topping D50s DAC and a Monolith THX AAA 887, can I expect to essentially duplicate these measurements with a total cost of $600?

Only if you wanted to spend that much.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if you wanted to spend that much.
I suppose on paper one could spend even less on an Atom, but my headphones are 50 ohms so I think the Monolith will be a better choice for me. Or were you thinking of a different combo?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I suppose on paper one could spend even less on an Atom, but my headphones are 50 ohms so I think the Monolith will be a better choice for me. Or were you thinking of a different combo?

No, just making the point that you got precisely.

garbulky

Major Contributor
No complaints from me. You do you :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy subjective reviews; I especially like reading subjective reviews of art and writing subjective reviews of things like restaurants. A combination of subjectivity and objectivity is essential for some fields, such as wine writing (IMO).

What I, and I think many others, cannot abide, is subjectivity masquerading as objectivity (eg golden ears) or worse, shilling for objective inferiority to justify high prices. Another term for that is “a con game”.

All that being said, the item you reviewed, I’m convinced, is a wonderful item that does a great job functionally and is also a beautiful object. Let’s compare it to a Cartier watch.

Where your review has irritated this crowd is IMO that some subjective red flags (eg USB cable) have undermined your credibility where your other subjective observations might otherwise be appreciated.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot abide subjective reviews of anything, whether books, wine, restaurants, theatre or indeed HiFi. They are all just opinion, not fact, so of no use or interest to me. Everyone's taste is different, so what a restaurant critic tastes or likes won't be what I taste.

There's an entire industry based on criticism, once the mainstay of newspapers, now on-line, that can make or break a product, play or restaurant on somebody's whim.

I remember many years ago when A&R Cambridge (now Arcam) brought out the excellent C200 P200 pre and power amp. It got a 'faint praise' review in one influential magazine, and it effectively killed the product. Other far less well performing products got great reviews and did well.

I know restaurants hate 'Tripadviser' but can't exist without it.

S

garbulky

Major Contributor
I cannot abide subjective reviews of anything, whether books, wine, restaurants, theatre or indeed HiFi. They are all just opinion, not fact, so of no use or interest to me. Everyone's taste is different, so what a restaurant critic tastes or likes won't be what I taste.

There's an entire industry based on criticism, once the mainstay of newspapers, now on-line, that can make or break a product, play or restaurant on somebody's whim.

I remember many years ago when A&R Cambridge (now Arcam) brought out the excellent C200 P200 pre and power amp. It got a 'faint praise' review in one influential magazine, and it effectively killed the product. Other far less well performing products got great reviews and did well.

S
I get a lot of useful things out of subjective reviews. I'm interested in the experience of a good or service. Yelp helps me nail down things that may be interesting to order or if a place is not worth going to for eating. On Amazon I get a lot of use especially out of the negative reviews. Though most products will have some negative reviews, it helps me to see a pattern or decide if some negative is one that I can live with or not. For the most part, I've found the products typical use at my place matches the reviews.
Audio is a little different. Some reviewers clearly are into different things but sometimes you'll find a person whose taste closely matches yours and then it becomes useful.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

S

I pride myself on being able to judge a restaurant based on the menu and speakers from a single image.

Top Bottom