• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommendations sub $200

Cuppajoe

Hi everyone thanks for the add
My apologies for yet another “budget dac recommendation” thread. I’m thinking of upgrading my dac. My current system streams Amazon Prime music into:

Allo Digione Signature > Schiit Modi 3 > Schiit SYS > Red Dragon S300 power amp > KEF LS50

For reference, the amp is Class D.

I’ve read through various reviews here and on other sites and am considering the SMSL C200 but don’t really need the amp section. I’d appreciate any recommendations for the C200 or any other DAC in the price range. Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I’m thinking of upgrading my dac.

What's wrong?

You probably won't hear a difference with a different DAC. There are sometimes reasons for upgrading, but rarely sound quality...

Personally, I've never owned a stand-alone DAC and I've NEVER heard a difference or a defect with any of the DACs built into my CD players, AVRs, phone, etc.., except once I had a noisy soundcard that made noise when the hard drive was accessed.

On the other hand, different speakers/headphones always sound different (better or worse).

...I think your speakers are active/powered so you're probably not using your power amp. (?) And if you're using the wireless or digital capability, you are not using your DAC.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Dac is perfectly fine. If you wanted to upgrade and pair one or more subs with the LS 50's, some four channel DAC like a miniDSP Flex, or more economically an HD 2 x 4, or even a Motu M4 (if you are running all signal out of your PC via USB) would all be logical choices. But by no means should you expect even a scintilla of sonic improvement by switching out the Modi 3 for a "better" two channel DAC. That would be just spending money to spend money IMHO.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
If you want to spend money for the pleasure, I find the DL200 more interesting than the C200.

The M300SE is also interesting but the headphones side is limited in power.

OP
C

Cuppajoe

Thanks for the input!

That’s really helpful and good to know. My DAC is around 5 years old so I was thinking that the tech must’ve improved within the time span. BUT if I wouldn’t hear any difference then you, saving money is a good thing!

Sound wise it’s a bit too strong in the highs for my liking. One person described it as being almost shrill. But I’ll try to fiddle with speaker placement and speaker stands to adjust the sound.

I really appreciate the feedback and I’ll let you know the outcome. Gave a great evening!

OP
C

Cuppajoe

Thanks for the input!

That’s really helpful and good to know. My DAC is around 5 years old so I was thinking that the tech must’ve improved within the time span. BUT if I wouldn’t hear any difference then you, saving money is a good thing!

Sound wise it’s a bit too strong in the highs for my liking. One person described it as being almost shrill. But I’ll try to fiddle with speaker placement and speaker stands to adjust the sound.

I really appreciate the feedback and I’ll let you know the outcome. Gave a great evening!
Update

Placing the ls50s upon Isoacoustics stands did make a difference, mostly in a more open soundstage and tightening the bass a bit. So I’m glad for that!

I do have a no ice question though. Can someone please explain why changing out the Dac in the system won’t have an audible difference? I’ll describe the system a little better.

I use AirPlay to send Prime (HD) music to Moode on the Allo Digione Signature, the output is through coax cable to the Schiit Modi DAC. Then it goes to a Schiit SYS preamp, then to the Red dragon power amp, and finally to the passive ls50

MbphotoX

Update

Placing the ls50s upon Isoacoustics stands did make a difference, mostly in a more open soundstage and tightening the bass a bit. So I’m glad for that!

I do have a no ice question though. Can someone please explain why changing out the Dac in the system won’t have an audible difference? I’ll describe the system a little better.

I use AirPlay to send Prime (HD) music to Moode on the Allo Digione Signature, the output is through coax cable to the Schiit Modi DAC. Then it goes to a Schiit SYS preamp, then to the Red dragon power amp, and finally to the passive ls50

The DAC doesn't affect the sound signature, because it's supposed to simply convert the digital signal into an analog one. Any $2 DAC chip these days should be able to do that with transparency and near-perfect linearity. (and even 0.5 dB variance would be really nothing compared to what you get by simply moving your head a couple inches to one side or another!)
A usable DAC will have beyond 100dB SINAD, whereas speakers and amplifiers are nowhere NEAR that level... the DAC simply doesn't affect the output in any audible way.

Over the past 10-15 years, we haven't really seen any worthwhile upgrades in DACs that would warrant a Eureka moment.. they were transparent back then, and they still are.

Of course, if the DAC has DSP built-in, like differenf filters, EQ settings, etc. then it's not just a DAC anymore.

Your issue with the speakers being too strong in the highs can easily be resolved: just reduce the toe-in slightly. (instead of pointing them straight at your ears, have them point slightly more outwards, if not straight away from the wall. (this article explains it nicely: https://www.stereonet.com/au/features/speaker-toe-whats-it-all-about )

That the isoacoustic stands helped with bass is weird.. they are supposed to isolate the speakers. Unless the surface they are on strongly vibrates along, isolating the speakers shouldn't "tighten" the bass, because the speakers can resonate more after being isolated. If you want more precise bass, you ideally want to COUPLE the speakers to a very heavy base.
E.g. use metal spikes and place the speakers on heavy stone plates (like granite or marble, etc.) then put those stone plates on foam pads to decouple/isolate them from the desk.
That way, the speaker will transfer all the vibrations from the enclosure into the stone and the stone, being a very heavy mass/high density, will simply absorb it, because it doesn't start to resonate at these low levels.
But if it sounds better, that's all that matters :)

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a thought; consider replacing your Digione with a WiiM mini. It works well with Amazon and gives you some nice EQ options that you could use to modify your high frequency issue.

Actually, you might be able to do that with your Digione anyway (I'm not hugely familiar with the options). If you have software DSP available to you then give that a shot.

(edit: oh, yeah - no need to upgrade your DAC!)

Top Bottom