• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dCS Bartok Review

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey folks!

I wrote a subjective review on the dCS Bartok that I thought some here would find interesting.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/10/13/dcs-bartok-dac-part-one-review/

Let me know if you have any questions!

I’m curious-did you decide to post this after the two PS Audio DAC threads? I’m glad you like this incredibly expensive DAC (and the other incredibly expensive DAC), but I feel confident you will run into some skepticism here.

“I had to make a case for...spending $15k on a DAC”. I think this is a very important sentence in your review.

I’m skeptical too. For instance the “resolution” of the PS Audio DAC seems like a strange description considering its high noise floor. I’m also skeptical you could hear all the things you claim to hear in an unsighted test. I’ve even offered a large prize to charity for such challenges-presuming the two components in question measure similarly.

It does look cool.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
dCS are usually very good measuring too. Wish to see them measured by Amir as well.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@TwoTrack "The Bartok DAC is a lot like my new Porsche. It just works."

When "it just works" is the very low bar you set for the very expensive stuff that you're buying, one can reasonably infer that you're buying things because they're status symbols, not because they perform especially well.

I would be curious to find out whether the Bartok is competently engineered. Sadly, your review sheds no light on that important question.

I hope you enjoyed having the loaner for a few weeks or months.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
dCS are usually very good measuring too. Wish to see them measured by Amir as well.

Apparently it is another custom-download FPGA design. So it would be interesting to compare. Hope OP sends it over to Amir.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure the op, Lee Scoggins, won't send it to Amir. Be nice if he would.

Snafu

"Firmware updates – it sounded to my ears like the Rossini recent update was magical and a big leap forward. "

Was there something wrong to start with ? I mean if difference was that big ?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The IMD is high with some filters. So it is more aliasing than distortion. With the steeper filters it looks plenty good.
Thanks for clarifying. It gets a little confusing with all the different filter tests.

OP
T

TwoTrack

I'm pretty sure the op, Lee Scoggins, won't send it to Amir. Be nice if he would.

That's up to dCS as I sent it to the Qobuz team at RMAF after the review period ended. Now it's in Brian Hunter's hands for part 2 of the review.

OP
T

TwoTrack

@TwoTrack "The Bartok DAC is a lot like my new Porsche. It just works."

When "it just works" is the very low bar you set for the very expensive stuff that you're buying, one can reasonably infer that you're buying things because they're status symbols, not because they perform especially well.

I would be curious to find out whether the Bartok is competently engineered. Sadly, your review sheds no light on that important question.

I hope you enjoyed having the loaner for a few weeks or months.

By "it just works", I meant that every function was logically laid out in terms of user experience and that the sound quality was superb on every input. I've had a lot of DACs in my two systems and you would be surprised how many are a. difficult to use, and b. offer differing sound quality on each input.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Can't spot it from an apple dongle in an ABX I guess.
By "it just works", I meant that every function was logically laid out in terms of user experience and that the sound quality was superb on every input. I've had a lot of DACs in my two systems and you would be surprised how many are a. difficult to use, and b. offer differing sound quality on each input.

Would you be willing to bet a meaningful amount that you could tell these differences between DAC's if you made your listening impressions with the output levels matched, and the test done blind? In other words, in a meaningful listening test, rather than a marketing pitch? If you are, you will likely get a lot of takers..

OP
T

TwoTrack

Would you be willing to bet a meaningful amount that you could tell these differences between DAC's if you made your listening impressions with the output levels matched, and the test done blind? In other words, in a meaningful listening test, rather than a marketing pitch? If you are, you will likely get a lot of takers..

Sure. I've done double blind tests before. I work on recordings and it's often part of the process when we test ADCs and microphones.

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom