• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Das Boot - The Series.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I watched the first episode. Trying to work out if this was about submarines or espionage ring/gestapo stereotypes.

Nearly gave up half-way through episode two with the dysfunctional U-boat crew stuff.

Half-way through episode three, I give it up. Even snails would find it slow and adrift.

I'll get the original movie out. At least I will stay awake.
sloth_40_anim_gif.gif

SiW

Was this the original German TV series?

If so, that was good.

If not, I will steer clear of the remake!

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Was this the original German TV series?

If so, that was good.

If not, I will steer clear of the remake!

I can't imagine that it was a remake.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember watching the TV mini-series version many many years ago. At the time I loved it and thought it fleshed out the characters and sucked me into the human drama much better than the movie version. I think it remains probably the best submarine movie made, it captured the claustrophobia and mix of boredom and danger of a submarine patrol superbly.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
The German Generation War series was ponderous but compared to the Das Boot series was an action packed series.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I remember watching the TV mini-series version many many years ago. At the time I loved it and thought it fleshed out the characters and sucked me into the human drama much better than the movie version. I think it remains probably the best submarine movie made, it captured the claustrophobia and mix of boredom and danger of a submarine patrol superbly.

Hard to beat the original for the representation of submarine life.

The dubbing is terrible. I watch it with subtitles.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate dubbed movies, I'm not sure I've seen any dubbed movies (or TV shows) that work.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I read the book at the age of 13-14 something. There was a song the German seamen were singing, I'll never forget.

>>... wenn den die lust mal packte
den sprang er aus der küchentish
und vögelt in gehackte <<

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Absolutely loved Das Boot. What for some people is snail-like, slow and adrift, is, for others, absolutely captivating. I can still remember it now, including the main characters.

Nowadays it would wear its right-onness on its sleeve, laying on the difference between 'goodies' and 'baddies' with a trowel.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I hate dubbed movies, I'm not sure I've seen any dubbed movies (or TV shows) that work.
Even I being slightly retarded prefer sub titles over dubbing . In fact it amazes me how little of a effort reading sub titles are for me, after 10 mins it all just bleeds into the movie and becomes a seemless experience.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Even I being slightly retarded prefer sub titles over dubbing . In fact it amazes me how little of a effort reading sub titles are for me, after 10 mins it all just bleeds into the movie and becomes a seemless experience.
Yes, after you've watched it you can't even remember whether it was subtitles or not - one of those weird things that works better than you could possibly expect.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, after you've watched it you can't even remember whether it was subtitles or not - one of those weird things that works better than you could possibly expect.
The only time dubbing works for me is with animation, if done well.

cjfrbw

I remember when I first set up my projection theater with surround sound. I played VHS tape of movie 'U571', and it was nerve wracking with all of the creaks, grinds, pings, groans and crew panic all around the room. You could hear the depth charges approaching.

Das Boot is not a movie for claustrophobics.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Downfall worked for me...

And I don't mind watching the old Kurosawa movies with subs, since I'm too useless to have learned any Japanese when I had the opportunity...

And, of course, Fellini.

Timbo2

Downfall worked for me...

And I don't mind watching the old Kurosawa movies with subs, since I'm too useless to have learned any Japanese when I had the opportunity...

And, of course, Fellini.

I have good news for you! My twenty something Japanese language teacher had never watched "Yojimbo" so we brought in a DVD and watched an hour or so of it in class. She confessed she could barely understand a word of it.

It's heavy on archaic dialect and slang. Not so terrible that the audience of the time the movie came out couldn't follow it, but for young Japanese people now it's not so easy to understand. As an intermediate Japanese speaker I'm lucky if I catch 25% to 30% of the dialogue.

So no need to worry about your language learning failure as it relates to Kurosawa.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find sub-titles better in every way, weirdly I don't mind films or TV shows where the dialogue of non-English peoples is English and where the actors have voiced their part in English, but I hate dubbing. Even if voiced in English I find it more convincing and immersive if parts are voiced in the native language with sub-titles.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone watched Babylon Berlin on netflix? Talk about your bad dubbing. I've never seen worse I don't think. It is like they used all drama class students from a high school. The series is pretty good, but the dubbing is a serious negative that interferes with enjoying the movie.

I'm fine with sub-titles, like someone said I don't notice it really. I will say I watched Angel-A which is an odd French movie about an angel not having the best of times. I can speak some French, and watched it with sub-titles and there were times the inflections in French added nuance to emotional scenes that are necessarily lost in sub-titles.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Has anyone watched Babylon Berlin on netflix? Talk about your bad dubbing. I've never seen worse I don't think. It is like they used all drama class students from a high school. The series is pretty good, but the dubbing is a serious negative that interferes with enjoying the movie.

I'm fine with sub-titles, like someone said I don't notice it really. I will say I watched Angel-A which is an odd French movie about an angel not having the best of times. I can speak some French, and watched it with sub-titles and there were times the inflections in French added nuance to emotional scenes that are necessarily lost in sub-titles.

I always run with the subtitles and matching language soundtrack on together. The sound a little lower than normal.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will say I watched Angel-A which is an odd French movie about an angel not having the best of times. I can speak some French, and watched it with sub-titles and there were times the inflections in French added nuance to emotional scenes that are necessarily lost in sub-titles.
A problem with any form of run time limited translation I would expect. I believe I pick up lots of nuance from the original soundtrack, without speaking the language, but I could just be making my own interpretation up, but I grew up on the Magic Roundabout so I might not know the difference.

Top Bottom